• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ricketts

Player
Jimmy Harvey
michael ricketts signed on a one year deal late last night.

Player
Achto
1.Ricketts
2.Thomas-Moore
3.Bain
4.Curran
5.Gornell
6.Savage

I see his plan,, that ol'chestnut 1-0-4-6 formation.

Overkill on strikers, ...
Barnes must think defenders are for whimp teams,
if we have stacks of strikers.. we should score more ... 9-7 home wins :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm. Brushing aside the fact that he played for Bolton, will this be a good signing? I did say we needed someone big and strong up there, and in this regard, I think its a good signing.

I think he'll score some goals too. His record in the lower leagues isn't that bad.

evo_trfc

Actually I am fairly happy with this signing moore and ricketts or curran and ricketts is a great pairing as far as im concerned - I've always preffered one tall strong striker one small striker works especially well in this league!

Tommorow will go 1 of to 2 ways a 4-0 loss or a 2-1 win to Us!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1.Ricketts
2.Thomas-Moore
3.Bain
4.Curran
5.Gornell
6.Savage

First choice strikers: Ricketts, Thomas-Moore, Curran and Savage.
Gornell if we're desperate. Has Bain signed?

And we can right Savage off for a while, so that's a rotation between Ricketts, Thomas-Moore and Curran.

Player
Achto
Can we afford to have Savage and Ricketts ?

Who would you rather have on the the books as there similar..?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I have to say this looks a poor move to me if he was not fitenough for stockport recently then how is he suddenly fit enough for us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with BigMart's comment's. Given we've probably got the guy from Grenada coming and 3 fit strikers on the books, if we've got money for contracts, sign up a defender. Bas' all round play is much better, these days doubt Ricketts will even get more goals. Ian, can't see how you can write off Gornell at this stage of his career.

Player
Goodison
I think he's worth a gamble. He's only on a 1 year deal and Bas is probably going to be out till March at least. We need some strength upfront and hopefully Ricketts can provide it. Bains, Moore, Gornell, Curran and Ricketts looks like a decent strikeforce.

As has been mentioned Gornell might not be ready to start every game just yet but it's foolish to right him off - he's got a fantastic first touch and bags of potential. Curran's injury problems may also not be behind him so a few extra strikers might not be a bad idea.

I dont believe either Curran or Gornell particulary benefitted from Ronnie Moore's coaching with Gornell been seen as Gareth Taylor mark two and Curran been used as a nutcase to run the ball into the corner flag with. Hopefully Barnes can get them back on track.

Our defence does need a strong powerful defender to play alongside Goodison however I think that Broomes is going to be given a longer term deal with Gunning and Shotton (Hopefully) joining on long term loans at a later date.

Player
Achto
Ricketts is on a 1 year deal.,

There going through alot of bother to get Bain, so you would guess once he's passed to play he will play.

Ian Thomas-Moore has been/is captain so likey to start each game

If Shuker has been in and out of games, poss Ian Thomas-Moore to be on the right with both of above upfront.

It says in todays paper Bain will be able to play in 2 weeks =D> , But chances are he WONT wanna play in Nov/Dec when its freezin :cold:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Our defence does need a strong powerful defender to play alongside Goodison however I think that Broomes is going to be given a longer term deal with Gunning and Shotton (Hopefully) joining on long term loans at a later date.

Shotton is staying at Stoke.

I think this signing is a complete waste of money. We have more than enough strikers. We don't have enough defenders. Not much else to say.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Hello fella`s. I`m actually quite pleased to see a new striker coming in. As i`ve said before Moore and Curran are too similar and if Savage is gonna be out for a while then we need a different option. Has Bain actually signed? I never managed to get to the game on tues as i live in Salisbury but i`m hoping there was an improvement from the Yeovil , which i did see. Anyone give me the low down on the positives from tues?

Player
Goodison
Hello fella`s. I`m actually quite pleased to see a new striker coming in. As i`ve said before Moore and Curran are too similar and if Savage is gonna be out for a while then we need a different option. Has Bain actually signed? I never managed to get to the game on tues as i live in Salisbury but i`m hoping there was an improvement from the Yeovil , which i did see. Anyone give me the low down on the positives from tues?

Lots of passing football, Daniels saved several certain goals, team looks a little lightweight with the exception of Goodison and Daniels.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well if the team is looking lightweight then who else but Michael Ricketts to turn us heavyweight lol. He's fat hes round, he once cost 4 million pound ... Michael Ricketts!\\:D/

Not sure about this one at all. Don't rate him, never have done. Will hold judgement on him till hes played a few games in a white shirt but think if we are getting in Bain as well, where do young Gornell and Curran stand now?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think gornell maybe sent out on loan again with curran probably on the bench with bain we he is eligible to play.

M

Mal

I'll reserve judgment - it looks like Barnes is wheeling and dealing so there may also be other defenders coming in (re: Sonkorly point). I don't think he subscribes fully to beggars can't be choosers and is waiting for right people (which he may or may not have already been talking to) As for Rickets, I seem to recall quite a few slagging off Savage before he had played a game for us. He seems to have done okay for the team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Most of us have seen footage of Ricketts in his heyday and to be honest he wasn't that great then. His recent record doesn't inspire. Bas was more of an unknown quantity and initial opinions formed on the basis of his poor strike-rate. It became clear he was a good addition to the squad in terms of work-rate. I don't buy into the let's see them in a Rovers shirt much either. Can't think of any established player recently whose performance drastically improved on joining Rovers.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Thanks for the update "Roverstilidie". We`re all talking about getting new defenders in but who? There are no decent defenders out there worth their salt that aren`t attached to a club, and we haven`t got the money to buy up contracts or pay decent wages. Providing we keep Goodison fit (or free from suspension) and give the younger full backs time to settle in then i think we`ll be fine. The midfield will come good- too experienced not to. The more striking options we have the better because thats were we`ll struggle the most. Rickets WILL score tomorrow, mark my words.\\:D/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There are a good number of out of work defenders around. In the Shrewsbury game, we had Brian Saah, ex-Orient on trial and he seemed perfectly capable, but as far as I know wasn't offered a deal, presumably because there wasn't any more money for contracts. Yet money does exist to give Ricketts a deal. Currently we've one central defender on the books, one youngster who can play there, one loanee and one on a pay per game. Meanwhile we've 5 fit strikers on the books with Bain on the way. Unbalanced is something of an understatement.