• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pre season friendlies

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Dawes seemed to get his Rhys/Reeces mixed up, answered a question mentioning Hughes by reference to McAlear. Was Hughes injured? Didn’t pick up on the hesitation about Hemmings ADD raised, but given Norris/Dennis are recovering from injury, if Kane was fit you’d expect him to feature unless a deal imminent. A positive that we held our own against a full-strength Wigan side, though I find it hard to keep up, do they have financial stability again?
Yes, I think so. Certainly a lot of Championship / upper League One standard players in their side last night including Charlie Wyke, Callum Lang and James McClean.

Leake had a baptism of fire against their right winger, Humphrys, who was excellent, but did ok I thought. I was impressed with Leake's distribution.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How did Macca get on?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
For me, the only worry for me, is the full back positions, there was times last night where the back post wasn't defended as an experienced full back would have had better position! Their goal as a typical example.
Positives for me, more experience on pitch, more height throughout the squad, and a different approach to our striker issues, we have a squad that can be adapted to how we want to play at a certain time in game. We have been so one dimensional the last couple of seasons, and not having a target man, restricts your game plan, tactics , shape and formation. Having the ability to change the attack can change games.
If the injury prone players can keep fit, play two games a week and score a few goals, it is looking a lot better.
It will be interesting in the first few weeks, to see who plays!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How did Macca get on?
A bit like his previous performances at PP - did very little! All I can remember is a header in the second half that McGee easily saved but he wasn’t involved much. Whereas their RW saw a lot of the ball and was very dangerous

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
For me, the only worry for me, is the full back positions, there was times last night where the back post wasn't defended as an experienced full back would have had better position! Their goal as a typical example.
Positives for me, more experience on pitch, more height throughout the squad, and a different approach to our striker issues, we have a squad that can be adapted to how we want to play at a certain time in game. We have been so one dimensional the last couple of seasons, and not having a target man, restricts your game plan, tactics , shape and formation. Having the ability to change the attack can change games.
If the injury prone players can keep fit, play two games a week and score a few goals, it is looking a lot better.
I agree about the full backs. It dawned on me just before kick off that whilst we had a very good defensive record last season, including the keeper last night we had 4 out of the back 5 all effectively new if you include LOC at RB. Obviously Turnbull will be first choice when fit and available, and McGee has looked good, but the jury is still out on the fullbacks.
Leake had a testing match but hopefully won’t be up against that calibre of player every week. LOC will be ok but the SWA will have to get used to him being nowhere near as capable as JDC was.
I noticed first half that leake was drifting inside a lot meaning their RW had a lot of space when they got the ball to him.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes will be really interesting. There is a lot of competition - if Hemmings doesn't go then three CF's plus Saunders. Also looks like Taylor has really pushed on from his impressive cameos at the end of last season and I think will be in the mix for at least the bench and arguably might be pushing Morris et al for a start.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't see where Hemmings fits into the team now as he certainly wont be in there to score goals. Maybe they can't get rid of him!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can't see where Hemmings fits into the team now as he certainly wont be in there to score goals. Maybe they can't get rid of him!
I suspect by our standards he’s on decent money and has a full year left. He’ll be hoping for a two year deal somewhere if he has to take a pay cut.
I.m assuming Jolley will be going out on loan especially if Taylor ahead of him in the pecking order

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The ITK on the other site says of those the club were expecting to move on only Bristow has gone. Hemmings, Lewis, Turnbull, Hawkes and McAlear all still on the books and this is impacting on who we can bring in. If Hemmings carrying an injury this may be preventing him moving on?

With the doubts about fitness for Norris and Dennis would expect we’ll not loan out Jolley or Taylor until things become clearer. Agree Sam has done well so far and a loan only becomes worthwhile if he’s not getting any game time with us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd like to see more of Jolley this season. He still needs to get up to speed physically but he has a lot of talent and a really positive attitude according to MP.

drwhoman

Dawes seemed to get his Rhys/Reeces mixed up, answered a question mentioning Hughes by reference to McAlear. Was Hughes injured? Didn’t pick up on the hesitation about Hemmings ADD raised, but given Norris/Dennis are recovering from injury, if Kane was fit you’d expect him to feature unless a deal imminent. A positive that we held our own against a full-strength Wigan side, though I find it hard to keep up, do they have financial stability again?
I believe that Wigan have a new local owner so yes re financial stability.

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

I see that the Guardian describes us as promotion hopefuls rather than top contenders. The usual names there of course. Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County. The monied clubs. We can but see what happens!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I wonder how predictable the side will be. Saturday.
It would be nice if Norris can start so we'd perhaps see Dawesy's intentions re desired formation.