• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pools v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our last trip to Hartlepool was under Rob Edwards in the season we dropped out of the FL, a 0-0 where Rovers were apparently the stronger side. Ronnie kept them up then, but a couple of years later they are down in the NL. Quite a brave managerial appointment going for Craig Harrison, who'd done well in the Welsh league, but no experience at this level. After a rocky start, things have steadied and they are currently a place above Rovers in lower mid-table. Ex-Rover Jake Cassidy is on their books and they also have Deverdics, who was decent in his time at Dover. Like Rovers, they have trouble scoring.

Even if Buxton and Ridehalgh are still out injured, though MMs post-match comments suggest that Liam might be fit for Tuesday, there is no need to set up so defensively as for Aldershot. I did wonder about reverting to a formation with wing-backs and leaving DMH on the bench, but after reading Brightonian's positive comments re Dylan in the last match thread think this would be too defensive. Two up front is needed for this game and that should mean Cook alongside Norwood not McDonough. For away games, Harris' bite in midfield is useful, so I would be looking to 'rest' one of the other midfielders. Don't know if anyone else will come in with the freed up wages, though wouldn't expect them to start.

Prediction: Can't see a large turnout of the SWA for a familiar ground on a Tuesday night; guessing under 200. The most likely outcome is a draw, but with the manner of our defeat at the weekend and the lack of leaders on the park, another loss would not surprise me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We never seem to fair well against the Monkey hangers so I’m not holding out much hope. Agree with Boz, we need Cook on for this one and some grit in midfield.

After Saturdays loss we need to pick up points, so I wouldn’t be too defensive. Let’s play some football, use the wings, get some crosses in and whatever happens do not revert to hoofing it up the field as that’s when our play usually gets panicky and all shape and tactics go out the window.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
cant see us getting anything out of this game think we will lose 2 1

drwhoman

It will be interesting to see how patient MP will be if they lose. Koeman has paid the price for failure..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we should revert to 442 for this game, with Cook and Norwood up front and Harris starting in place of Hughes. The experiment on Saturday worked for forty five minutes before ending in disaster, and as Boz says, there is no need to be so cautious against a side that are not as strong in midfield as The Shots. I don't think we should go near 352, as we have been awful with that system all season.

Hartlepool had been in decent form prior to drawing on Saturday, but we desperately need a result. Almost glad I can't make this one, and I expect 150-200 SWA to be present.

Player
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see how patient MP will be if they lose. Koeman has paid the price for failure..
I don't think we can afford to sack Mellon, so in all likelihood not much will change until next summer. Strangely enough, Everton's problems were similar to our own, with a squad put together without any real structure and a lack of pace and width.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't think we can afford to sack Mellon, so in all likelihood not much will change until next summer. Strangely enough, Everton's problems were similar to our own, with a squad put together without any real structure and a lack of pace and width.
Everton do have pace but Mirallas has not been in favour and Calvert-Lewin has been played out of position. Their main problem has been the lack of any strikers since Lukaku left. Our problem is we have lots of strikers but not enough service from the flanks.

Player
Manager
John King
Ridehalgh and Cook return to the starting eleven. Looks like 442. Hughes on the bench.

Exactly the team I would have chosen in fairness.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Glad we’ve reverted to 442. Clarke can consider himself a bit unlucky and away from home Hughes offers more than Norburn defensively, but not too surprised with that line-up.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
McNulty booked inside first minute, not whats needed

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Goal for Jordan Archer!

Oops we didn't sign him...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very pleased with the team and the formation. If they can shake off Saturday's nightmare, they stand a good chance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds like a good competitive game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are now the lowest scorers in the league, grim

Player
Manager
John King
On the positive side, it sounds like a better performance than Saturday with the 442.