• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Orient 0 Rovers 1

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
I think that makes us, third!! My oh my! Does Les have enough tissues for the nosebleeds, played 2, won 2, scored 2 conceded nil!!

M

Mal

Allows myself a <wry smile> given my preseasoncomments. However, being realistic, there will be losses. I just prefer win one, lose one on travels to drawing two. So anything above zero at notts will be a bonus, and still a very good start to the season. excellent result today with a reasonable number of on target shots.

M

Mal

Oh, yes. We also need our forward line to do the scoring At some point
;0)

Player
Goodison
We're going to score 46 goals and concede 0 this season!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting decision to drop Kay, who hasn't played well and Zoum, who did ok v Chesterfield, but it paid off with Buchanan scoring the winner. It sounds like a fairly even game with Rovers having a few shots on target as well as the goal. Let's hope we can keep it up!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
An excellent win. Rovers really looked keen and certainly didn't sit back and let the home side get in their face. Would like to see the goal, sounded a good one. Some interesting changes to the side with Raven and Buchanan filling in the full back slots. Would like to hear how they got on, I'm hoping someone from here made the journey. 5 shots / 4 on target with 47% of possession that's some pretty good stats.

Well, we certainly can't argue with the start we've made. Let's hope they keep it up. Well played lads. =D>=D>

DIW

Player
Goodison
Great start although I can't help feeling we will all be bumped back down to earth at some point this week.

However, well played to the lads, especially defensively, 2 clean sheets out of two is a good sign for the season. Would nice nice to see a few more goals go in next. Or am I being greedy?

M

Mal

There does need to be realism. I suspec that two points from next two games will be good going. so, 8 after 4 games will still be a successful start to season. Having said that, well probably do the usual 'excel against top teams' agains SU

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we rode our luck a bit yesterday to be honest, as Orient had more chances than us and peppered our goal at the start of the second half, but hey, who is complaining ? Fon Williams effectively won us the game with two or three outstanding saves, particularly one on to the post from Cureton, and looks an outstanding keeper at this level.

In terms of possession the game was pretty even, and we played some decent stuff at times, but Devaney was not as effective as in his previous games and did not get any deliveries into the box: perhaps his lack of match fitness catching up with him.

I was surprised to see both full backs dropped, but to be fair, both Raven and Buchanan were solid. That said, defensively we struggled at times when Orient zipped the ball round quickly, perhaps due to a lack of protection for the back four with our new, more adventurous set up. McChrystal seemed to have a bit of an iffy game to me as well, as was perhaps still carrying a niggle.

After we scored the goal (a carbon copy of Cresswell's at the same end last season) we saw the game out really professionally and Orient ran out of ideas.

To sum up, I don't think there is any way we would have won yesterday's game in the last two seasons, which just shows the difference that the tweak to the system with greater attacking intent, and a good quality keeper could make to our fortunes this season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Thanks for the review. How did the midfield 3 look?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Robinson was excellent, Welsh worked hard and was solid, Weir was anonymous.

As I said above, although we look good going forward at the moment, I fear that away from home against good sides in form we might get punished with the current set up.

That said, after a couple of years of hoofball, I am quite happy to play some football and take more risks away from home, even if the tactics backfire on occasions.

M

Mal

According to BBC stats, Orient had 8 on target, 4 off, we had 5 on target, 4 off. Not sure if the 5 includes the goal. So, depending on how you split the figures, that's £5 per shot on target from a Tranmere perspective. However, I also checked Sheffield United and Notts County, at home, and they'd only had 2 shots on target each.... So that makes Tranmere attack-minded ;0)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Apart from the win and the clean sheet, it was good to see that Les was confident enough to drop both of the regular full backs and our squad is so strong that players like Ash Taylor and Mustafa Tiryaki could not even get on the bench. No-one can take their place for granted, as there is much more competition for places than there was last season. It bodes well for the rest of the season, although I still think a top 10 finish is our most likely destiny.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It shows a lot about the strength in depth when 2 players (Kay,Zoom) who I would have thought would have been nailed on to start most games, can both be dropped with experienced players at this level (Raven/Buchanan) brought into the side, and doing well.

Last time we won the first 2 league games was I think 1989 when Fulham and Cardiff were sent packing (got to the play offs that season.........)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That said, after a couple of years of hoofball, I am quite happy to play some football and take more risks away from home, even if the tactics backfire on occasions.
There have been times over the last few seasons when we have been lucky to have 1 shot on target away from home. Agree with this, would much rather see us taking more risks.

Player
Goodison
I hope you are joking because that sort of thing is is the last thing we need at this point.

We havn't been this high up in god knows how long might as well enjoy it!

DIW

Player
Goodison
I know what you mean and I'm assuming your comments were a little tongue in cheek! In all seriousness though, of course it is good to be up there even at this very early stage, but some fans (not suggesting you!)are just plain ignorant and you would need to be a total fool to believe that these two wins are an indcation of us winning the title.