• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Kay & Weir Permanent Deals?

• Thread starter OneNightInGayParis
  • Start date

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Erm yes, yes it does. His 2 year deal finishes this summer. He's club captain and will be looking for an improved deal, and who can blame him, a number of games he's been the best player on the pitch. It's quite possible that Welsh is too good for us, or at least too expensive for us, if another club comes in with more money, Tranmere cannot compete with that.

Erm no, no he isn't. He signed a 1 year contract on July 13th 2009. Then he signed a 2 year contract on June 21st 2010. AFAIK, this summer will be 2011 (can you confirm for me?)

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~2074153,00.html

He is here until the end of the world in 2012. If Welsh is too good for us, we're ****ed.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Hoping that we can shift the likes of Cathalina/Morrow/Akins/Mahon/Fraughan somehow in the summer to free up a bit of money which can if necessary pay Welsh if hes out of contract and wants more wonga.

Also couldnt care less if Cresswell goes as he's useless most of the time and thinks hes billy big balls.

The club must retain the services of Mccrystal/Warner/Showunmi however.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
cathalina surely will not be offered a contract morrow & mahon have a year left so am guessing they will still be here les seems to rate akins so i woudlnt be surprised if he gets another year.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Morrow's contract length was never officially stated by the club

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Im surprised Mahon is still here to be honest, and not had a mutual contract termination sorted, especially as he hasn't played all season..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
There's little incentive for him to take one. He won't find another club regardless.

Ultimately it's not his fault we gave him a 3 year contract.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Im surprised Mahon is still here to be honest, and not had a mutual contract termination sorted, especially as he hasn't played all season..

I still think it's bizarre that he hasn't even come off the bench having regained fitness. However, I seem to be the only one ....

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
I still think it's bizarre that he hasn't even come off the bench having regained fitness. However, I seem to be the only one ....

Spongebob Handsinpants would rather bring on a 14 year old youth player than Mahon by the looks of things which is a real shame and I suppose gives him absolutely no motivation at all to even try to get a game.

M

Mal

It takes time to build a team. And I think focussing on mainly youth is a good thing, Goodison being an exception as far as reliability is concerned. I'll see how it goes over next few games but 'handsinpants' (a negative term if ever there was one) seems to be building quite a good team for next season, based mostly on youth.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko

Yep. That said, Les sees him in training every day. If he was running rings around everyone he'd surely be in the team.

On the other hand, I do wonder if Mahon's absence is more likely to do with him being seen as too much of a 'luxury' to fit into our hard-working midfield 3. Which IMO is unfair, as we could use someone like him when in posession. We are awful in posession.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Yep. That said, Les sees him in training every day. If he was running rings around everyone he'd surely be in the team.

On the other hand, I do wonder if Mahon's absence is more likely to do with him being seen as too much of a 'luxury' to fit into our hard-working midfield 3. Which IMO is unfair, as we could use someone like him when in posession. We are awful in posession.

It's a good point. I'd agree that there are certain games where you wouldn't want Mahon involved; however, there are numerous times when bringing on a passing midfielder rather than juggling our front 2/3 could have changed the shape of the game. I remember Fraughan starting a game earlier in the season and, unfortunately, having a bit of a stinker and being subbed. It seems that at this point Les made the decision that he would not involve an expansive midfielder unless he had to.

I guess this is the kind of area where Les is open to tactical criticism. His view of tactics is very narrow which, IMO, limits our options and sometimes results in us not getting the best team performance from the players at his disposal. I hope (slightly forlonly) that this will change with experience and perhaps Weir (almost back on topic!) is a small step in the right direction.