• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Kay & Weir Permanent Deals?

• Thread starter OneNightInGayParis
  • Start date
O

OneNightInGayParis

From the o/s it sounds like Kay and Weir will be signing permanent deals come 1st July.

Personally, I think this is really positive news; despite a couple of dodgy spells Kay has settled in well and looks class at this level. Weir has been less prominent and certainly less consistent, but he has shown enough to suggest he will be an asset.

if the deals go through I would hope and expect that the performances of both will improve next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not overly excited about Weir - he has done okay but I suppose a decent squad player and back up to Joss and Welsh. Plus time to get better.

Am made up with Kay signing - apart from a couple of dodgy moments he has looked assured and confident and unlike Cathalina, is actually fit most of the time !

Its good that Les is thinking of next season - I think McGurk may be out of contract but lets give him another year after Saturday !

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think these are decent signings for us and hopefully they will improve the more experience they get, we could do with getter warner signed to a contract as well.

M

Mal

and both under 24, which makes a change from the usual 30+ past-sell-by-date-and-prone-to-injury-all-season-on-loadsa-money claptrap we have been known to spend money on. I think this is a positive move for both the youth and not-a-loanee aspects

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not overly excited about Weir - he has done okay but I suppose a decent squad player and back up to Joss and Welsh. Plus time to get better.

Am made up with Kay signing - apart from a couple of dodgy moments he has looked assured and confident and unlike Cathalina, is actually fit most of the time !

Agreed.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Weir's better than people give him credit for. He's certainly better than Ash in the middle, which would make him our 3rd best midfielder, and we play 3 in midfield.

Kay's good too.

Both young, both proven, can't argue.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Les is gonna be busy with contracts - does anyone know who exactly is out of contract?

As far as I know, and who I would hope to keep, Warner, McChrystal, Robbo, McGurk

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
zoom and creswell out of contract as well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Kay is the better player and it was crucial we signed him, but hopefully taking Weir on permanently signals a bit of a change in direction for the team. Although he can blow hot and cold, he is definitely a ball playing midfielder rather than a hoofer, which can only help our ball retention in the middle.

drwhoman

KAY AND WEIR

I agree with the view that it is good that Les is already thinking of next season. These are good signings for a Div One team - the right age group as well. The trouble we had getting decent players last summer - all the trialists and so forth. Even then we got some duds that will probably leave in May - Morrow is probably one and Cathalina maybe another. Les definately has the core of a reasonable team. I am not convinced about Robinson this time around - he fits into the end of the career category and I wonder about his commitment - if he is overweight and never on the park. They will also have to think about how they eventually replace Goodi he is a key player and yet he cannot go on for ever. Wootton back permanently? I cannot see him getting a gig at United?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah Robbo is a tricky one. There must be some doubts over his fitness - not just this season but even when he was on loan last season he missed a load of games.

Given this and his probably high wage demands - I doubt we will sign him.

Unless he accepts a big pay cut.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I read that Wooton was signing a 2 year deal at man u and Morrow has another year left on his contract

Player
Goodison
I think Weir will replace Welsh, whos contract is up at the end of the season and I could see him signing for a better team.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Les has done a good bit of business here, in my view. He must have built some rapport with the staff at Sunderland, they could have just offered a pathetic wage 1 year deal to both players as the act of offering something would have made it a requirement for us to pay compensation, instead they've agreed to not offer contracts, making it possible for Kay & Weir to organise these pre-contract agreement with us. This is really good of Sunderland to do, especially knowing Tranmere's interest, it is good for the two young lads and it's fantastic for us. We could not have afforded them otherwise, and this probably weighed in on everyone's thinking.

Kay is a good right back for this level and so young the hope is he'll get even better. Weir is a bit hit and miss, but I guess that's because he is at least willing to try things and as he gains in experience will hopefully become less woefully wasteful most of the time, something not too welcome in a midfielder!! But he does at least try things, so I can't be too down on the lad.

It's also good to see that preparations for the next season's squad are already being made, can't see again how anyone can compare the logical, thought out moves that Mr Parry makes to Mr B&rnes's moves, releasing the best summer signing before he played and failing to find a goalkeeper or any defenders!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
welsh is in talks with the club to extend his contract which does end in the summer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly keen on Kay, it will make a change to have a half-decent right-back of our own, rather than a procession of loanees. He needs to develop the attacking side of his game though.

Neutral about Weir. I certainly don't want to see him playing full-back again and while he's shown some signs of promise in midfield, he doesn't look capable of getting many goals. I would also like to have seen Les give Max Power an outing or two, to determine if he's capable of stepping up.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
welsh is in talks with the club to extend his contract which does end in the summer

No it doesn't.

Goodison, Mahon, Labadie, Welsh, Taylor, Enoch and Jenno are all still under contract for another year. Everyone else is out of contract this summer.

I suspect we will press to keep hold of McCrystal, Cresswell, Zoum, Warner and Robbo, though the latter may depend on wage demands/general fitness, which Les will have assessed in training. The likes of Akins, McGurk, Blanchard etc may be kept on provided they don't want a lot of money and are willing to accept a backup role. Expecting the likes of Fraughan, Cathalina and Morrow to move on.

I think Cresswell will probably be the only player who may not be interested in contract negotiations. We tried to thrash out a new deal with him earlier in the year - those attempts amounted to nothing and he's been scouted by a number of clubs this season.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Originally Posted by bigmart

Originally Posted by SonkORLY
No it doesn't.

----------

Erm yes, yes it does. His 2 year deal finishes this summer. He's club captain and will be looking for an improved deal, and who can blame him, a number of games he's been the best player on the pitch. It's quite possible that Welsh is too good for us, or at least too expensive for us, if another club comes in with more money, Tranmere cannot compete with that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm very pleased by this news. Kay is now the established right-back and I am confident both players will improve over the next year. Remember they are both young and only made their league debuts this year. Weir may well become a genuine creative force in midfield.

What I really like about the club at the moment is the fact we have a strategy to find affordable talent such as promising youngsters and older unwanted players. We have had a few failures this season, but Les has unearthed some unlikely gems like Warner and McChrystal who nobody else seemed to want. But as our wages are not the best, I hope we can keep most of this team next season.

This is the most genuinely positive thread I've read on WR all season.