• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Barnes signs contract as manager

Is the appointment of Barnes & McAteer a good one?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Player
Jimmy Harvey
I am suddenly not as enthusiastic about things as I have been. It does seem that Barnes will be working on a nil budget after reading his comments, so with that in mind why appoint a manager with no football league experience?
Agrre with what has been said it seems like a massive risk, i was hoping that there would be some investment in the squad ..........:-s

Ally

Player
Aldo
I have a horrible feeling about this duo. I'll try and reserve judgment until several games intot he new season, but I'm a bit worried they'll be like Laurel and Hardy. MacAteer is after all not one of the brightest of chaps. Oh well, we'll see what they can do with bugger-all money and a tiny squad...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You know. Since the appointment was made official, everyones on a downer. lol
Like maybe we hoped it wouldnt be true.

Let's just see what happens..

DixieDean

I'm not normally one to pre-judge, but this season has 'disaster' written all over it.

Ince and Matthias - YES PLEASE
Barnes and Mathias - MAYBE
Barnes and McAteer - OH HOLY HELL PLEASE NO

Perhaps Johnson has got alzheimer's and doesn't know what he's doing...

Player
Goodison
I wasn't Ronnie's biggest fan but I would rather have him then these two plonkers! I could live with Barnes as manager but making McAteer his assistant is pure stupidity (Literally!) Someone like Mathias as assistant would have made much more sense.

New Chant if we can all learn it?! -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnUh5LlrPZ4

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
"We're Playin' for Tranmere, TRAN-ME-ERE!" :-D:-D:-D

Player
Ryan Shotton
We all obviously need to give him a chance, but a chance is all he will get. I cant see him building the squad to anything worthy of promotion standards. I still think it was one of the stupidest things the club has ever done sacking ronnie i think next season genuinely could have been our year. Lets hope he can do something special, and lets give him all of our support because a good start will be crucial to a succsessful season! :-D

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
To quote PJ - "They are a Wirral-based partnership who are very enthusiastic about what they can offer Tranmere and I look forward to watching their team play next season."

If thats the only criteria he used to choose our new management team then theres 5000 fans who could have got the job.

:shock:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah we all feel for Ronnie cos he did nothing wrong really to get sacked. But it happened, and we as supporters of the club have to move on and get behind the new boss. John Barnes may not be a proven tried and tested manager but I like what he says and am willing to give him a chance. The least he deserves.

McAteer, well, rather not say, but get behind OUR team. Tranmere Rovers is Tranmere Rovers whether it be Ronnie, Barnes or Mourinho in charge. Lets support them and who knows, it might be a good happy successful time! Give them a chance and get behind the super whites!=D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Come on ppl, does this not inspire belief!

"My name won't give me an advantage on the field, as I'm not playing and neither is Jason. It could be an advantage in terms of speaking to managers like Arsene Wenger and them picking up the phone, but what is more important is that I can convince that sort of person that the sort of football we will play will help their players develop."

JB SWA!!!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
This inspires me!! High Profile or what? :wink::wink:=D>=D>

strictly-barnes6-431x300.jpg

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's probably sick to death of that rap!
What about a combination of the John Barnes rap with Bas moonwalking. You want entertainment?! You got it..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's now clear that there is no money available, but instead have focused on contacts and getting some decent young players in. It may not sound very glamorous but realistically that's what clubs in div 1 have to do to survive. There just isn't any money..

My only worry is that Barnes & McAteer have been brought in because of their contacts, and I dont doubt they have great contacts in the game, but what about their skills as tacticians, man management etc. They sound like glorified scouts at the moment.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Only time will tell on that one Ian. I would like to think they could bring in some quality loan signings, such as Sperringwho has been linked with a move to the club.
But to be honest I am happier that things have settled down and the club can begin in earnest preparing for next season. We now know how things are, there is no investment, no but out and no big signings..............to be honest I know it sounds stupid but I am a whole lot happier now than I was yesterday.
The next few weeks should be an interesting time and I would not be surprised to see a number of new faces coming in..............especially when Barnes has stated there are only eight first team players under contract at the club.

Keep the faith Ian, its never simple supporting the whites .......................but isnt that why we love them?

evo_trfc

Obviously dissapointed think everyone is but i've decided to give them both my full support up untill December if results aren't what they shouldn't be then i will give up simple as that.!

Reading Mcateers comments you can't complain at all - He's right in fairness not using Liverpool Everton Man U Man City is pointless their kids are obvoiusly going to be championship quality at the very least.

Interesting to see who they do bring in on a permenant basis! Certain Players are more likely to play for us know with Barnes in charge! Hopefully League 1 is easier than the SPL

SWA!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You're giving them 4 months to prove themselves? Come on..
How long does it take to build a team?

It took Ronnie 3 years to build up his team and there was still a lot more to do! But they were steady improvements. Don't you think you're being a little unfair on trigger and digger?