• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Barnes signs contract as manager

Is the appointment of Barnes & McAteer a good one?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Just heard on radio five John Barnes has become our manager.
Still nothing on the website, can anyone confirm?

This isn't a rumour, definitely happening as we speak.

DixieDean

He has been replaced as Jamaica coach by Theo Whitmore! Looks like he's the man for Tranmere (unfortunately.)

Player
Liam Palmer
PJ wanted him from the start. When exactly the 'start' was I don't know. Before Ronnie was pushed? This is a massive gamble.... and could be an expensive one too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll just have to wait now and see if any official announcements are made today. Seems 99.9% certain. All John Barnes discussions in here! Ohh, and Jason McAteer as assistant discussions too!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
As I have said although not my first choice would like to think we will all give Barnes our full support, or at least give the fella a chance until chistmas? We dont know what is in the pipe line and are ignorant at what goes on behind closed doors. (e.g noone saw what happened on friday coming)
I look at PJ's comments about a change of direction, and as long as that direction isnt into league 2 I am happy. Come on folks dont be to down it COULD be the best thing to happen to the club in a long time. Just wait and see...........

Johnny Barnes super white army!!!!!
(Come on everyone join in)
Johnny Barnes super white army!!!!=D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whoever steps in, has to be given a chance. It's unfair to slate them before they've even managed a game. I dont understand the mentality of people saying they will not go to games if Barnes is in charge either. How does that help anyone? If he had an amazing season, would these people crawl back with their tails between their legs?

I think we all feel it for Ronnie, but there's nothing we can do but move forward. As supporters, wouldn't it be best for the club if we all tried to get behind the new appointment, whoever that may be!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Here Here Ian! Totally agree.

My only concern is maybe having McAteer as a number 2 but different people work differently in a new line up and who's to say they won't work well together.

If we're looking at these messages at the end of next season and facing promotion or the play offs, it'll be nice to look back and have a good laugh!

Let's give him a fighting chance \\:D/ \\:D/

Ally

Player
Aldo
It's a massive gamble giving the job to someone who made a real hash of it at Celtic, and who hasn't been involved in league football since that time. He's a big name yes, but unproven.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Whoever steps in, has to be given a chance. It's unfair to slate them before they've even managed a game. I dont understand the mentality of people saying they will not go to games if Barnes is in charge either. How does that help anyone? If he had an amazing season, would these people crawl back with their tails between their legs?

I think we all feel it for Ronnie, but there's nothing we can do but move forward. As supporters, wouldn't it be best for the club if we all tried to get behind the new appointment, whoever that may be!

Well, PJ's may own the club but without our backing (the fans) he's in trouble. If people feel so strongly against the decisions he's made over the summer then they have every right to vote with their feet. If I hadn't already paid for my season ticket I probably wouldn't have bought one this year.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when PJ met Ronnie! We can only guess what was said and why RM left.

However, I agree we must move on. PJ is no fool. LR did a good job keeping the club financially stable, but we did not progress on the pitch. I think PJ has decided he needs to be more procative if we are to get into the Championship, which is the minimum level to make any money.

I'm hugely sceptical about JB, but he needs to be given a chance and to have a suitable back up team with experience of League 1 and a love for TRFC. Ray Mathias would be ideal. I'm not so sure about Jason McAteer.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If I hadn't already paid for my season ticket I probably wouldn't have bought one this year.
I think the difference between us two is that I'd still be buying a season ticket if Bertie Bassett was in charge. Still need my Rovers fix no matter what..

I think the difference between us two is that I'd still be buying a season ticket if Bertie Bassett was in charge. Still need my Rovers fix no matter what..

Ian - You are a legend. You did mean "The" Bertie Bassett didnt you?? =;

bertie-bassett.jpg

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The very one!

mattie24

Player
aldo
look if john barnes or paul ince take over they are going to be givie'in money to make the team better they will not come if they have to bring in free agents and use the kids to make the team only start worry if john coleman come in then thinks will look bad

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
look if john barnes or paul ince take over they are going to be givie'in money to make the team better they will not come if they have to bring in free agents and use the kids to make the teams

You assume quite a lot. Revenue is down once again, PJ has no reason to invest in our club aspirationally. Can't see us increasing our budget. Paul Ince won't come, and John Barnes has been turned down by Port Vale in the past, so we wouldn't neccesserily have to tempt him with a tasty budget - nor do we have the means to.

F*ck John Barnes...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You assume quite a lot. Revenue is down once again, PJ has no reason to invest in our club aspirationally. Can't see us increasing our budget. Paul Ince won't come, and John Barnes has been turned down by Port Vale in the past, so we wouldn't neccesserily have to tempt him with a tasty budget - nor do we have the means to.

F*ck John Barnes...

Agree with you here, especially the last para! Sadly Watford have seen sense + look like appointing Malky Mckay. Think I'd prefer even Coleman to Barnes.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I've just been watching sky sports news and the 'breaking news' is that John Barnes will be appointed manager tomorrow!

This isn't confirmed by the club but it is from Barnes directly!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just played this clip from Sky Sports. http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid958992159?bctid=26178857001 In it, Barnes admits he took the Tranmere job because he was desperate to get back into football management. Nothing else was on offer. He also implies he'll get little or no money to spend on players.

It's a huge risk PJ is taking. I don't understand it.

But let's give both of them a chance. Let's see who comes in and whether any of our out-of-contract players stay.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah - I think an announcement will be made today.

Barnes:
"If you look at what Reading have done and if you look at what Burnley have done, you don't need to have the best players and lots of money to be successful.

"If players are committed and have desire and you have the organisation, you just have to encourage them to play and that's what I'll be doing at Tranmere.

"They were one minute away from getting into the play-offs before missing out to the eventual winners Scunthorpe, so all is not wrong at Tranmere at all."

Well, there's proof that he'll be working on little to no money for the coming season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The more I hear about this, the less sense it makes. If there's no mystery investor insisting on Barnes, then there are plenty of better managers out there. Hope we get an explanation of the reasoning from Johnson, but won't be holding my breath.