• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Harrogate (0) v Rovers (2)

Match result

• Harrogate

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harrogate (0) v Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
The EnviroVent Stadium
Friday, December 29, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, December 29, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of the comments above.

I did not think we were terrible in the first half but we looked a little jaded, with Walker in particular struggling and too many fifty-fifty challenges in midfield lost. We also have to factor in the conditions, which were absolutely horrendous, with a gale blowing in our faces for the first forty five.

However, great credit again to Nigel for the substitutions which completely changed the game. I think what impressed me most today, and on Boxing Day, was the willingness of squad players like McAlear and Norris, who have barely had a sniff for the majority of the season, to put in a tremendous shift when called upon. That speaks volumes for the team spirit Adkins has engendered. I don't remember seeing the kind of unity in the squad displayed at the end of the game under many previous managers.

There were a lot of eight out of ten performances in the second half, but man of the match for me was Apter, who completely terrorised them after half time. Special praise also has to be given to Jolley, who is a promising striker in my eyes and a much more natural footballer than Saunders. His goals per game ratio must be decent and I would not let him go anywhere in January.

I think we are already effectively safe from relegation and should certainly be looking upwards. Notts and Barrow will be big tests, but we have passed every recent examination with flying colours.

drwhoman

I agree re the subs RLC. I like the fact that Nigel was so decisive at half time. The players replaced were not necessarily playing badly but change was needed. I cannot recall Micky Mellon taking such action unless players were playing poorly. Long may it continue!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I presumed half time was more rotation due to energy levels than some tactical switch. Now not sure whether we are correlating this with the outcome and coming up with causation. Walker looks lame when fully fit so hard to assess, Saunders amuses me when he tries heading to himself but his explosive bursts cannot go on endlessly.
McAlear certainly did more than his cameo roles of recent times, but they still walked into our box last night before and after half time. I don't buy our centre halves were out of form recently, we had disruption, a left back void, no wide cover and a CM that disintegrated to just one player- that will expose any central defence. Hendry was a bit off the pace last night also.
Jolley clearly is a better bet for chances than Saunders, he is industrious and quick but probably a gear below Saunders. Jennings was out on his feet, Monday will be interesting up front. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis appear as the deeper 1.
Apter doesn't need protecting anymore, he can the extra 10-15 mins. Morris's battling and energy levels are at levels unseen before, maybe an outcome of his being dropped for Nigel's first squad.
Saw a bit more of Norris who was subbed because he was too small as Hendry was because he clearly wasn't a central midfielder, bit Mellonesque for me- what has changed?
All in all far beyond expectations, not being involved I can safely disregard relegation now and hope the inevitable bump in the road doesn't cause a slump in form. Still think if you add a Norris (bigger one) you could get 20% improvement.
Finally I detected an anti-Wrexham theme last night, I want to see the back of them and County- they will be challengers next time otherwise.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s all about opinions, but maintain that Rovers weren’t at their best in the first half and McGee’s double save near the end of the half kept the scores level at h/t. I don’t think it was purely down to the weather either, we didn’t play enough short passes for ball retention or try the ball over the top for Saunders to run onto. Apter seemed well-marshalled by the home defence in that half too. Adkins usually doesn’t make h/t substitutions so either there was a fitness issue or he felt improvement could be achieved by making changes. In any event it worked.

While I don’t think we will get relegated with Adkins in charge 30 points has never been enough to secure safety. The sooner we secure the extra 15 or so points to ensure L2 survival the better. Fixtures with Notts County Barrow and Milton Keynes are a tougher proposition than recent games and if some key players were missing, for any time, do we have the squad depth to cope?

I agree that Jolley has developed and is a decent finisher so hope that Adkins parks the idea of loaning him out. One of the advantages of watching by IFollow (when it works) is getting a different perspective. Hendry has great vision and awareness, which isn’t always so easy to see from a seat in the stands, but thought he had a good game yesterday and perhaps some of my earlier misgivings have been unfair.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Again only just able to watch the full game on catch up due to the time difference. What a tale of two halfs. Clearly horrendous conditions in the first half and they could have easily gone in ahead. Second half much better conditions and so was our play incisive and direct. Norris and McAlear both did very well as others have said and we were good value for the win.
Only downside has to have been the fact that Apter turned it on second half with some great play.
Not nice to think about it as he is such a fulcrum for our play right now but I think he will likely be recalled at least for most January so they can have a look at him on a daily basis against their own defenders - maybe like Hawkes was a few seasons ago he will then be loaned back if the determination is he won't be able to force his way into genuine contention but I wondered if Adkins comment of "let's enjoy him while we have him" was a hint. Hopefully not!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I've never been fully convinced about Hawkes certainly not on loan and less now than six months ago. Doohan was dreadful still waiting for the fraud office on that sale!
Apter is a known known and plenty have had a crack at stopping him, little success, he clearly beats this standard and surely would grow into Div 1 in time. Blackpool were riding high, now they could fall into a battle for the drop involving an inevitable manager change. We really don't know what will happen, signing him would be a real coup but contrary to twitter nonsense his loan is purely a Blackpool issue. Hopeful he will be extended, the middle outcome.
Saunders, Merrie, Lewis and Hockenhull leaving would release some money if we can find takers.