• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FGR

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I would not put Maidstone or Kidderminster in quite the same category as FGR or Rushden, as the former were two fairly substantial, traditional non-league clubs prior to entering the Football League, unlike an artificial 'shell' such as Salford for example.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would argue that FGR were a bigger club than Rushden and Diamonds or the teams that merged to create R&D even before Dale Vince took over. Think the developing of the club by DV has increased the support levels, but would expect them to survive perhaps at NL/NLN level should Vince move on.

While there are some parallels between Deeney and Rooney’s appointments, there are also differences. Birmingham had no need to change managers being well-placed in the league and find their decline since the switch quite amusing. FGR did need to make a change, Horseman was out of his depth. I think they’d have done better going for someone with experience who would keep Deeney on the coaching staff rather than giving the job to Deeney

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
After another defeat another rant against his plsyers by Deeney, not won in 6 snd looking more and more likely to go down

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am not sure it is ever wise for a manager to attack his players in public. Suggests Deeney is out of is depth.
I agree. What is he trying to achieve? Compare his approach to Nigel’s. He always stresses the positives and (in public at least) never criticises his players.

If the team loses it’s down to either poor tactics (manager’s fault), poor play (manager needs to sort it on the training ground), poor attitude (ditto) or poor fitness (ditto). If the players simply are t good enough, it’s not their fault and public humiliation won’t improve them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was bizarre appointing him in the first place. They went down the big name inexperienced route with Duncan Ferguson and that didn’t work. I’ve never been overly impressed with Deeney and very much doubt he’s tactically astute and unless he can bring in 11 new players his rant was a bit OTT. Hope they go down.

I suppose everyone’s wired differently and it’s possible, just possible, that Deeney may have ingeniously found which of Dabo’s buttons to press in order to get a positive reaction. But that’s a long shot!

Unless, possibly, you’re a manager with a tonne of credit in the bank like, say, a Mourinho, or unless the player concerned has already become a problem in the dressing room, you’re almost guaranteed to be on a loser doing what Deeney’s done. Good to see, and long may their implosion continue.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with the comments already posted about how ill-advised the Deeney approach is.

Some talk that Mike Flynn at our next opponent Swindon may also be due for the chop.

drwhoman

Deeney's been given a four match touchline ban for his recent dismissal from the dugout.
Four matches is 'impressive' - must have really given the officials a mouthful! I gather that he is also receiving support from Vince after 'he let his emotions get the better of him' in criticising his players! Clearly no homework went into his appointment. The owner calls the shots and the fans have to take it on the chin. BTW, there is a nice article on the Guardian website about the resurrection of the Scunthorpe club through the efforts of a local business woman.

So his ban is almost as long as his managerial career! Wonder if Michael Flynn’s sudden availability might also be a factor in this decision..

One other change tonight is that Notts County have appointed highly-rated Wealdstone boss Stuart Maynard as their new head coach.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Deeney sacked. Crazy to give him the job in the first place. What a joke of a club FGR are

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently told his players that he would rather watch Antiques Roadshow. He will have plenty of opportunity now! Vince, after appearing quite smart during the club’s rise, seems to have lost the plot!
To be fair I would rather watch antiques road show than Forest Green

I hadn’t realised David ‘Ned’ Kelly was Deeney’s number 2. Presumably he too has now left the club, although I’ve not seen it mentioned.