• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dover v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another odd choice of fixture for the schedulers, putting our furthest away game on a bank holiday, when travel can be at it's most difficult. Dover currently occupy the last play-off spot and their current form is patchy, most recently a 2-1 defeat at Eastleigh, where they'd been leading for most of the game. Other recent results include a win against Macclesfield, with debutant Marsh-Brown notching both goals, though by their last game he was an unused substitute. Mitch Pinnock and Ryan Bird are the others who feature regularly on the score-sheet for the hosts.

Dover grabbed all the points on their last visit to PP with a characteristically niggly performance. However last season's trip to The Crabble saw a Ben Tollitt inspired 1-4 win and the travelling support will be hoping for similar quality on Friday.

MM wasn't giving away many clues about the line-up, save that Eddie Clarke is injured. It would be a risky strategy playing the same kind of line-up in this game as v Eastleigh, where we surrendered too much possession in midfield. Think we need a Harris to break things up and put in some tackles, probably at the expense of Jennings with some juggling around to fit him in.

I'd guess that despite the difficulties, a reasonable turnout of the SWA should get our numbers up to around 400. We needthe win to bolster our prospects of finishing 2nd/3rd, but a draw the most likely outcome.

Player
aldo
think the players would wont to get some pride back after the poor showing against them at pp . it was a poor game by rovers . ben tollit has to play or he will never get fit . we have to get the away form sorted an stop playing crap away . think it will be 3-1 with the cookster an ben getting the goodies

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Boz's comments. Dover don't seem quite as strong a side as in the last couple of seasons, although they still have some decent individuals like Marsh-Brown. However, our record against top seven sides this season has to be a concern and if there is a first half no-show as at Boreham Wood, we will get nothing from the game. Dover's pitch is awful and certainly won't help us.

I agree that we definitely need to start with Harris or Traore against physical opponents, and I would pick the former ahead of Hughes. I am a big fan of Jeff and he played well last week, but I think a pairing of Hughes and Norburn would be too lightweight for this game and we need Ollie's creativity.

I think we will have a reasonable following but I am not sure it will be as large as 400. It is a beast of a journey to Dover at the best of times, even for most of our supporters in the South East.

If third spot is our aim, a draw probably would no be a disaster with several winnable fixtures to follow. However, a victory would be a real shot in the arm, particularly as a lot of our rivals also have tricky games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think I live closer to Dover than anyone on this forum, but I'm on holiday so sadly won't be there. As RLC says, it will require us to start playing before halftime. So I hope we have learned from Boreham Wood, where the snow covered pitch was slow. If Dover's is bumpy or muddy, the home team will similarly have an advantage. We need to adapt. I think we will and will scrape a 1-0.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On reflection, perhaps a turnout of nearer 300 would be closer, or maybe 299 as BBTC can’t make it ;)

Hughes was probably the pick of our midfield last weekend, so thought may be deployed left-midfield at the expense of Jennings.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I missed the Eastleigh game but I can't see Hughes playing wide unless we play a narrow midfield. He's not mobile enough in my view.

We still have issues with our wide men. On the left Jennings is still out of position and whilst he has had some decent games, its still a square peg in a round hole in my view. Tollit isn't fit but as AM says, the only way he'll get fit is with games.

Ginnelly seems to have disappeared recently and MM doesn't fancy Clarke at the moment so our wide options are limited.

I guess now that top spot is probably beyond us, we should give Tollit as much action as possible in the hope that come the play offs he is more like his old self.

Back to the game, like RLC I would bring Harris in. I'm a big fan of Traore but if there are problems with his fitness then we need Jay in there.

Micky bemoaned the 5 sub rule in his pre match talk. If Traore isn't seen as first choice its disappointing as he has obvious talent but if we have signed a player who isn't totally fit then its difficult.

One option would be Larnell Cole on the left wing but who knows where he is.

Prediction: score draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I hope I am wrong but with our record being awful against top teams in the league think they will win 2 1

Player
Manager
John King
Match postponed. Just found out as I got off the train in Dover. Bollocks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What? That’s seems awfully late to call off a game. Unlucky RLC, safe journey back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Would they have known that a few hours ago? Maybe waiting it out hoping the rain was going to stop.

Player
Manager
John King
Think it has been raining here for two days so I don't know why a decision was not made earlier.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Extremely poor if that’s the case.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Shabby that is, safe journey back to SWA who have travelled down. Just means a midweek trip back down there now which isn't ideal!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very bad, they should have had an early inspection. I really think they ought to recompense travelling fans when this happens. However, there's good news with all our rivals dropping points - except for Macc who won again with a very late goal.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Fair play to Macclesfield, similarly to Lincoln last year they never knowwhen the game is over and have score a fair few late winners!!!

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC and hard luck ! I hope the club have had something to say as well. This will have cost them I imagine. Why we were playing there on Good Friday is another thing. Ridiculous scheduling!

Player
Manager
John King
Very bad, they should have had an early inspection. I really think they ought to recompense travelling fans when this happens. However, there's good news with all our rivals dropping points - except for Macc who won again with a very late goal.
Yes, a decent set of results and our next three matches are very winnable.