• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Jobserve Stadium
Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Right chaps, onto the next exciting Rovers chapter. This time, the lads travel South East to the Jobserve Stadium to take on fellow strugglers Colchester United. It looks like Dawes will still be in charge for this one after it all went a bit quiet following another Rovers defeat on Tues night. They do say no news is good news but sadly not in this case!

The U's have a remarkably similar league record heading into this one with just one win in five although Rovers have played a game more. No draws between the two teams and both on a -2 GD. Having said all that, Dawes will no doubt persist with this quite ridiculous 433 with players playing out of position and leaving gaps all over the park. Probably be a field day for Colchester.

Rovers have injuries mounting up so no doubt some of the young lads and loan signings might feature.

Player
Goodison
The aptly named JobServe Stadium would be a fitting place for the Dawes experiment to end.

Assume it will be 4-3-3, live in hope of a back to basics 4-4-2, and playing a few players in their actual positions (novel idea I know).

Suspect the injuries excuse has already been rehearsed in the management team meeting this week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Worst case scenario Rovers without Davies, Leake, Yarney, Pike, Lewis. Saunders. Luke Norris. There might need to be the odd square peg/round hole in defence, but no reason to play anyone out of position further forward. Colchester's only win was against a decent Gillingham side, whereas ours was against a Harrogate side tipped to struggle.

We need to get something from this game, but not hopeful on the evidence of recent games.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Who cares just lose and we get him out we win he stays in the job a few weeks longer

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
A poor battering is what we need to shift him out i know its mega negative but we need him gone

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wondered whether last Saturday was must win for Dawes. Clearly not, as he remains at the helm but whilst defeats against big spenders like Wrexham and Notts County might not be a shock, it is vital we pick something up against a Colchester side one place below us in the league but with a game in hand and also on 3 points. After opening their season with an impressive 3-0 win at Gillingham, Colchester have lost 4 league games in a row including home defeats to MK Dons & Wimbledon. Theo do have some decent players in their squad including ex Exeter midfielder Matt Jay and target man Tom Hopper.

Rovers have a defensive crisis with potentially Yarney, Davies, Pike, LOC and Leake all missing. Whether young Norris stays at left back will be interesting given he was hauled off on Tuesday. Morris or Merrie could do a job there and hopefully we’ll have an option for right back. Maybe given our issues Dawes may go to 3-5-2 and play Morris and Hawkes wing backs (I hope not).

You would think given results Dawes may decide 4-3-3 isn’t quite working, but I wouldn’t be surprised if its Groundhog Day and he goes with the same system. With a patched up rovers defence the home side will believe it is a good opportunity to stop their poor form – how often have we come up against an our of form side and given them a win?

Further up field I suspect it’ll be the usual suspects. Hopefully Hawkes was only rested on Tuesday as he still remains a goal threat for us and must start in my opinion.

Prediction: a draw for me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No doubt it will be 4 3 3 and almost certainly yet another defeat pushing Dawes closer to the exit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry should have posted this here:

Just watched Merrie doing his pre match interview, imagine trying to defend this manager? Anyway, they are working hard on the training ground to put things right..

Onto Dawes.. injury update Davies, Yarney & Luke Norris being assessed Fri. LOC, Saunders and Leake still unavailable. No direct replacements for injuries so other players have stepped in and had to adapt. Still looking for players to come in.

Colchester must win. From his tone it sounds like this could be hit or bust for Dawes. Wow, now he's talking about reflecting on the games and wondering what he can do differently for the next game. Dear me..

Message to supporters: Stick with us, we want a rocking bus on the way home!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wondered whether last Saturday was must win for Dawes. Clearly not, as he remains at the helm but whilst defeats against big spenders like Wrexham and Notts County might not be a shock, it is vital we pick something up against a Colchester side one place below us in the league but with a game in hand and also on 3 points.
I think he's been told. Lose this and you're gone.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sorry should have posted this here:

Just watched Merrie doing his pre match interview, imagine trying to defend this manager? Anyway, they are working hard on the training ground to put things right..

Onto Dawes.. injury update Davies, Yarney & Luke Norris being assessed Fri. LOC, Saunders and Leake still unavailable. No direct replacements for injuries so other players have stepped in and had to adapt. Still looking for players to come in.

Colchester must win. From his tone it sounds like this could be hit or bust for Dawes. Wow, now he's talking about reflecting on the games and wondering what he can do differently for the next game. Dear me..

Message to supporters: Stick with us, we want a rocking bus on the way home!
It's ridiculous it's taken this many games for him to consider doing things differently.
As we virtually all expected its been a disastrous appointment and he needs sacking and replacing with a competent manager but I have no faith in MP making the right choice

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
4-0 home its been coming for weeks you watch he will change things and we will win 2-0 and will be in charge for another game

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I got the impression from Dawes' interview that he knows he is in the last chance saloon.

I find it irritating that in every interview he gives he refers to the failures (sic) of the 'last couple of years', thereby trying to implicate Mellon in the current mess rather than taking responsibility for his own results.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dawes must surely know if we lose tomorrow he’ll be packing his bags. He mentions injuries but every club gets them and it is only very recently that we’ve had a bit of a crisis at the back. Before Tuesdays game we’ve had turnbull/Davies all season so far. Same with most of the midfielders and attackers and it’s only been Norris who has been mostly absent.
Mentions of past failings are I guess to try and hint that even more experienced managers like Micky have found it difficult in recent times. However crucially Dawes has been well backed by Palios financially in the summer and had plenty of time late last season and this one to run things himself so as RLC says he should take responsibility as the buck stops with him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I got the impression from Dawes' interview that he knows he is in the last chance saloon.

I find it irritating that in every interview he gives he refers to the failures (sic) of the 'last couple of years', thereby trying to implicate Mellon in the current mess rather than taking responsibility for his own results.
Remind me, someone, who was our assistant manager for the "last couple of years"?

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Dawes MO is to undermine people to make himself look good, an age old failed stratagem, first Mellon, then Hemmings and now Davies ( I understand). Seems a spiral of failure on his part to me. He must hope that tomorrow's opponents put a good case of being worse than us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Being honest here, how many people are hoping we lose tomorrow? I'm looking at the bigger picture! :speechless:

Status
Not open for further replies.