• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Tranmere

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just seen the highlights. Bizarre penalty. Rovers switched off expecting a free kick but Horwood was outside the area anyway. It also appeared as if several Chester players were encouraging the ref to send someone off? Good goals from Tranmere helped by the fact that Chester did not close Davies down before the winner. His kick down field was not far from the half way line! Poor defending for the second Chester goal. No one picked the scorer up. Overall a great win though!
Yes, it was a ridiculous penalty. Obviously, Rovers should have played to the whistle and Horwood was outside the area. However, Sutton was lucky not to be sent off, as Horwood was clean through. And did anyone else see Harris's strike hit a Chester leg, causing it to bend towards the goal? The result could have been different, but I am not complaining.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With reference to the penalty, the rules are currently applied so that a genuine attempt to play the ball resulting in a penalty but denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity should be sanctioned with a yellow card. Outside the penalty area DOGSO would attract a red card. Arguably the award worked in our favour as I doubt we'd have won playing 85 minutes with just ten men

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I think there was general confusion about the no free kick/penalty decision and that probably saved Sutton. Was the ref saying play on or what when the 'free kick' incident occurred. Mind you Chester were lucky not to have rthe ref from the Liverpool Under 23 game last night. Woodburn had his legs hooked from under him on the edge of the box - a stone cold free kick or pen - nothing! Yes, the Harris shot appeared to take a deflection.