• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Tranmere

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The West Cheshire derby is next up for Rovers, the game apparently set to go ahead despite the recent deluge.

Chester have had a decent season and currently sit comfortably in mid table. However, their form has tailed off a bit in recent weeks and it remains to be seen whether they pose the same challenge as in the return fixture at Prenton Park, where their pacy strikers gave our back four an uncomfortable afternoon. The derby atmosphere makes this game unpredictable, but realistically we have to win if we are serious about securing the title. To get within two points of Lincoln ahead of their tough trip to Aldershot would be a great boost for the club.

In terms of selection, I would expect the same side that finished the game against Barrow to start, save for Cook and Norwood replacing Mangan and Stockton. Micky has said a couple of players are doubtful with knocks, one of whom is Adam Buxton, but there has been no mention of the other(s). Connor Jennings is set to return from his loan spell but will not be available until next week.

We have sold our allocation of 1,100 and there should be a great atmosphere under the lights.

Prediction: Rovers victory.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLCs observations about the importance of this game and how a win would up the pressure on Lincoln ahead of their difficult trip to Hants. However local derbies are always unpredictable and Chester gave a good account of themselves in the 2-2 at PP. They would enjoy spiking our guns here and have the ability to cause us problems. Some of their recent failings may have been down to team selection and players out of position their forum suggests. A slightly fortunate win at Southport has got them back on track.

Whereas I might have opted for a Cook-Mangan pairing had the midweek game gone ahead, Norwood's greater fitness and stamina make him the better option here. Wonder whether the reference to Buxton by MM, makes him a likely starter, if fit. I'm not sure the manager will opt for the same formation as Barrow, maybe opting for an extra central midfield player, with Mekki dropping to the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I hope I'm wrong but I think this will be a very tough game. Not only is it a derby but Chester will want to put a dent in our promotion ambitions. Form goes out of the window in this sort of fixture and under the lights and with the TV cameras, their players will be well up for causing an upset. Suspect a few feisty tackles in the first 5 minutes but interesting probably their 2 most physical players (Luke George & Tom Shaw), are both doubtful but I'm sure will play. The ref Coggins could be in for a busy night and is no stranger to showing his cards this season: 17 matches he has officiated have resulted in 57 yellows and 6 red cards.

Last seasons match was against a poor Chester side and I remember Mekki winning the penalty that Nors dispatched. The hosts are much improved under Jon McCarthy and as RLC points out, have pace and strength in their dangerous front 2 of Alabi and Richards. It'll be an interesting night for Big Mac and the other defenders.

As for our team I think Vaughan should keep his place after the Barrow game. My front two would be Cook and Nors just about. It'll be interesting whether Mekki keeps his place or as Boz says, would it make more sense being away to play someone like Harris alongside Maynard and push Hughes a but further forward in the midfield 3. Harris may be the type of player for this fixture but will the front 2 get enough service?

Prediction: draw.

Player
Manager
John King
Mangan and Stockton keep their places, mekki in for Kirby. With two games in a week we are clearly rotating.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are much stronger than Chester but we are on the TV so it's a loss I'm afraid.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quite surprised that Cook doesn't start but fair play to MM for giving the side that finished v Barrow the nod.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What just happened ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Disastrous start. Never a penalty.

We've improved but front 2 not doing enough for me. Cook definitely should have started. Hope he's on at half time.

Player
Manager
John King
Disastrous start. Never a penalty.

We've improved but front 2 not doing enough for me. Cook definitely should have started. Hope he's on at half time.
Agree completely. Their two strikers causing a lot more problems than ours. A lot of possession but too pedestrian.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wrong decision by MM to start with Cole and Mangan, no matter how well they did last Saturday.

Chester team will have been doing cartwheels seeing cook and Nors on the bench

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Little bit similar to last game where the front two weren't in it early on. We need more quality from set pieces too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would have thought he'd start with Cook, the Mangan Norwood choice was more finely balanced. The injury to Maynard means options for making subs are curtailed and MM can't safely change both forwards

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great strike from Harris. Should prove too much for them now. Cook coming on..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a joke. Poor marking from McNulty but we've created very little.

Mekki must be exhausted but no like for like replacement on the bench for him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This is so frustrating. Mekki still has no pace whatsoever.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McNulty having a hand in another goal conceded.