• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chelmsford v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Indeed Ian. MM will have a lot of selection headaches for Saturday. Assuming everyone's is fit, will the likes of Big Mac, Ridehalgh, Wallace, Hughes, Tollit & Cook walk back into the side?

We'll wait and see but I suspect a few of them will such as Cook, Tollit, Big Mac & probably Hughes. Not sure about Wallace & Ridehalgh given the performances of Harris & Buxton. Dare I say should Big Mac be given a match off? Sutton & Ihikwe have not put a foot wrong recently apart from the formers sending off. That said, Big Mac has been a vital part of our excellent defensive record but is prone to a bit of a complacency perhaps and did lose his rag with the fans last Saturday - there is an argument to give Sutton/Ihikwe a run arguably and let Steve have some time out of the side.

There's also Jack Dunn to consider. Hughes has done very well but as others have said, playing both him and Wallace don't give us enough energy in the middle.

Who'd be a manager !

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that MM is more tactically versatile than Brabin. However sometimes it feels that the players are shoe-horned into the preferred formation like the diamond, rather than fitting the formation around the players best position

I can't go along with that. Although Tollitt might be better out wide he is not unsuited to a role at the tip of the diamond, and who else is played out of position in that formation ? Everybody is utilised in their natural roles. I can't actually think of a single occasion where Mellon has wilfully played someone out of position. You can agree or disagree with the system but it is no better or worse suited to our squad of players than a 352 or 442.

Contrast that with Brabin, who consistently played three or four players in unnatural roles.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tollit plays better out wide and Hughes as the base of the diamond is less influential creatively. Wallace would be better deployed close to the forwards, where his defence splitting passes can have more impact.

Player
Manager
John King
When Hughes plays at the base of the diamond, Wallace plays in the central midfield role he has occupied for his whole career. In that system, Hughes' best position is at the base of the diamond. You need a player who is good technically and has a real passing range to play at the base of the diamond, and Hughes is well suited to the role.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree Hughes is quite capable at the base of the diamond, but that alimits his creative influence on the game. As others have pointed out, Wallace as he is now, with fitness issues needs to be closer to the forwards to exert the same level off influence as the pre-injury Wallace.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree Hughes is quite capable at the base of the diamond, but that alimits his creative influence on the game. As others have pointed out, Wallace as he is now, with fitness issues needs to be closer to the forwards to exert the same level off influence as the pre-injury Wallace.

But what you are describing is a different system, not the diamond.

Player
Manager
John King
I have just seen the goals. For the first, Kirby does brilliantly to rob Bush near the halfway line, round the keeper and score. I very much doubt Mangan or Norwood would have shown the same composure. A great ball into the box for the second as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Kirby is a typical player at this level. Can do some great things but not on a consistent basis. I can pretty much guarantee if he plays tomorrow, he'll be anonymous throughout.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kirby is a strange one. If he bulked up a bit and was physically stronger, would be a good player at this level. I agree with RLC that both goals were quality finishes, the type that Norwood regularly shoots straight at the keeper. Think he deserves a chance for a few games in a forward position to see if he can repeat the scoring against tougher opponents.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've now seen the goals on YouTube and I have to say that the defending was poor in every case. It certainly wasn't up to NL standard. However, Kirby had a lot to do for both goals and his finishing was worthy of Jamie Vardy. The energy he showed scoring the final goal so late in the game was also impressive. Although I agree he is on form, he won't get as much space in the league and certainly not today. However, apart from Cook and maybe Stockton, he is the only striker in any form, so I hope he gets the nod - and gets some slack from the PP faithful.