• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chelmsford v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A 'second bite of the cherry' in our manager's words, as we replay at The Melbourne Stadium. After the hastily arranged game at Woking last week, there is no way I can make it to the South East again at such short notice. So, it will have to be the radio and Andy Doyle..... From what I can gather the Clarets' ground is not the most prepossessing venue and is nicknamed 'The Gulag' by the locals.

In terms of team selection, I would like to see us go 442 with Tollitt and Dunn wide, with Cook and one other up front. In reality, I think Micky will play three in midfield and Wallace will start again. Neither Mangan or Norwood deserve to be anywhere near the side at the moment, but in the absence of Connor Jennings it is difficult to see how we would make a positive change up front. Stockton deserves to start based on his recent performances, but is just too similar to Cook to partner him in my view.

Prediction: I think we will have more space to play tomorrow night, as Chelmsford won't be able to sit and frustrate as they did for long periods of the match on Saturday. Despite our poor performance in that game it was clear we had the better technical players and I would expect a reaction tomorrow night and a narrow Rovers victory. Indications are that the Rovers turnout will be reasonable, with perhaps 150-200 SWA in attendance.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given Micky was reported to be very angry after the game at the weekend, I'd expect some change in the line-up. Like RLC, I'd like to see us go 442, with Tollit and Dunn out wide, Maynard ahead of Wallace in the middle and Cook and Stockton up front. I can understand the fears that the strikers are similar, but if we're lobbing lots of ammunition into the box it might work and it's not as though the other forward options are doing much to advance their claim to a start. The Chelmsford central defender who went off injured on Saturday is only rated 50/50, so there may be some defensive uncertainty from the hosts to capitalise on.

I think this will be another close game, which is hard to call. Rovers need to take more of a grip of the game in the early stages, as they seemed on the back foot on Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with you both about the 442. It's fair to say we'll have quite a bit of the ball, but we need to make the possession count.

The full backs can't give us that quality so let's hand this over to Tollitt and Dunn as suggested above and whilst I share RLCs reservations about playing Cook and Stockton, they appear to be the only two in form strikers at present and getting quality balls to them might spell disaster for the home side so I'm with Boz on this one.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm with Ian and Boz on team selection but Micky is still not predictable when I cones to formation or personnel.

I'm fairly confident we'll put on a good show. If we can start well, they might lose heart. They should tire toward the end. I think we'll keep our unbeaten record against teams outside the NL promotion challengers. So I'm going gung ho for a 3-1 away win with Cook, Stockton and Tollitt getting the goals.

Player
Manager
John King
Sounds like this won't go ahead. Chelmsford players have not got to the ground due to traffic chaos !

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strange Rovers team. No Big Mac, Nors, Wallace, Hughes or Cook - even on the bench. Obviously trying out new players. Not so many leaders in this side, so I'm less confident.

If it doesn't go ahead, I hope Chelmsford get punished. Club and fans inconvenienced.

Player
Manager
John King
If the game does go ahead, we have rung the changes. No cook, Hughes, McNulty....

M

Mal

Seems more like trying out the old apart from one.

Almost a back to the future.
Strange Rovers team. No Big Mac, Nors, Wallace, Hughes or Cook - even on the bench. Obviously trying out new players. Not so many leaders in this side, so I'm less confident.

If it doesn't go ahead, I hope Chelmsford get punished. Club and fans inconvenienced.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm with Ian and Boz on team selection but Micky is still not predictable when I cones to formation or personnel.

I

You can say that again.

Very strange line-up. Can't see where the creativity is going to come from or the balls onto the box for Stockton to attack. Not confident at all.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0. Should have this in the bag.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought it was an own goal. Not clear from this commentary.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Missed the first goal as Wirral radio signal patchy. Buxton seems to be having a good debut as Sutton puts us 0-3 up.

Player
Manager
John King
Fair play to the second string players, this has been a great effort. Just shows the depth of the squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's been a creditable performance in the first half, much better than I expected when the starting xi were announced.

IF we're still winning comfortably midway through the second half, might be a time to give the subs a go. Wonder if the youngsters or Mekki/ Dawson are more likely to get a chance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
1-3. Sounds like nearly all Chelmsford in the second half.

Player
Manager
John King
4-1, Kirby. That will please his critics.... Good assist by mangan.