• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Burton v Rovers (Pizza Cup)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Tuesday night comes with a trip to Burton in the pizza cup and will out winless run extend to 8 games? The hosts lie joint bottom of league one being one of four teams on 14 points. They’ve had a tough season which meant jimmy floyd hasslebank left the club to be replaced by Dino mammria. The hosts have some rovers connections with Cameron Borthwick Jackson on their books as well as Jonny smith. The latter has been warming the bench of late and whilst Burton haven’t had a great season, they will have been buoyed by their last minute equaliser on Saturday at home to league leaders Plymouth. Burton also have ex chester youngster and west Kirby born Sam Hughes at the back.

As for for rovers if turnbull and Simeu can play then Micky may as well give them a game to try and help us progress. I’d argue Hemmings could be given a rest as he looks very forlorn at the moment. Despite burtons result on Saturday their home record isn’t great with 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats.
Prediction: we could take it to penalties and sneak a win. But concede first and it could be a long night.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Burton have an FA Cup game next weekend which means they may well rest players. As we are able to go full strength, we have a reasonable chance of progressing. I think the pressure will be off the players after recent struggles in the League, so hopefully they can express themselves and earn a morale boosting victory.

In addition to the players Sparky mentions, Burton have Victor Adeboyejo up front who has scored ten in twenty games this season and is their danger man, albeit he might be rested. Maamria is a pretty unloveable character and watching the highlights of their game against Plymouth yesterday I think the Brewers' playing style will be pretty direct.

I think Turnbull and Davies will start at the back, a) as a minor punishment for Simeu and b) to allow Tom to get some more minutes and rebuild his fitness.

I am going to this along with a handful of other masochists, but I am quite looking forward to it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A win would give a bit of a boost to our finances which may give us more room for manoeuvre in January as I think there will be 2 or 3 leaving

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky has said that he'll field a strong team, but scope for a few adjustments; Hewelt in goal and rest
Hemmings by using a Lewis-Nevitt pairing. I'd also like to see something of Hughes, maybe instead of Morris.

I alluded to it in the Wimbledon thread, but the referee in this game is Thomas Parsons, currently a NL official, but being tried out for elevation to the FL list. He does not seem to have attracted favourable comment from those fans who've seen him at other games.

Do we know for sure that Turnbull and Simeu can play tomorrow? I was rather hoping (against hope) that this game might count towards their suspensions.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Turnbull and Simeu start as does nolan. Nevitt in for Lewis and Hemmings starts again. Hewlet in goal. No Davies in the squad. Hopefully rested

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m a little bit surprised about our line-up. While Micky said we’d go strong two of our biggest underperformers at the weekend in Hemmings and Morris both start and the only outfield fringe player brought in is Nolan. No place for Hawkes or Hughes and Jameson not even on the bench. Not feeling that hopeful but we’ll see…

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
And cogley hits the bar. Clearly our priority this season is the pizza cup!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
6 goal attempts, 5 on target. Definitely not a league game!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only the Twitter feed but the hosts make 4 subs at half time clearly emphasising our good performances. The feed also says Nevitt just blazed over a great chance when through.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Can't even get my Twitter feed, but hope Nolan showed what he could/can do tonight. Class player on his day.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Scrappy goal but it’s been coming last 10 mins.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pens. Here we go..