• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barrow v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Cumbria tomorrow night for Rovers in this rearranged fixture. The wheels have fallen off for Barrow in recent weeks (no pun intended) culminating in their thrashing at PP in the FA Trophy. Their poor run of form has coincided with the loss of several key loan players and top scorer Byron Harrison, who fortunately for us is still out with an ankle injury. However, despite the opposition's current problems I am not expecting a repeat of the fixture ten days ago. I think this game will be a real battle, probably settled by one goal.

In terms of selection, I think Cook and Norwood will return to the starting line up. The only other real dilemna for Mellon is whether to put Connor Jennings straight back into the side in the number ten role: he is a better player than Mekki, but Adam did well again on Friday night and probably deserves to start. Elsewhere, Adam Buxton could be recalled but I think Vaughan will keep his place.

With Lincoln away at struggling Braintree, I don't think we will gain ground on the leaders tomorrow and it may be a case of Rovers requiring a victory simply to stay in touch at the top. For a routine fixture I think about 400 Rovers fans would make the trip for this one, but after the euphoria of Friday night that figure might be higher.

Prediction: narrow victory for Rovers, either 1-0 or 2-1.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't argue with your facts, opinions or predictions, RLC. We've had a mixed bag of results against Barrow. Last season we lost at home. After beating them in our first home game of this season, we lost in the FA Cup at Holker Street in October. They will still be smarting from the recent FA Trophy hammering and won't have forgotten the incredible 4-3 home defeat last season, so they will put up a fight. However, I expect us to be too strong and resilient tomorrow. I just hope we can get away without any more serious injuries to key players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In terms of line-up, MM may be tempted to start Connor Jennings. Presumably Harris will continue in midfield,, not heard any updates on how long Lois Maynard will be out for. Otherwise agree with RLC re team selection and BBTC on the need to avoid serious injuries.

400 would be a good level of SWA support, I'd be pleasantly surprised if that many. Barrow had a decent first half against us in the Trophy game, then folded. Wouldn't be surprised if we dropped points, but a win needed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've got an inkling MM might start with Connor as he's been quite positive about him after his loan spell.

We definitely need a win to keep the pressure on. I thought they played quite well at Prenton Park before we equalised so I certainly don't think this will be a comfortable game.

M

Mal

Hopefully, the fan who misinterpreted the comment that we need more flair on the pitch will be absent.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Starting xi as RLC suggests, with Cook and Norwood heading the attack and Connor Jennings on the bench

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
tough game this but a very big night fancy us to just about win 2 1 and hope Lincoln slip up

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cookie Monster at it again!

Need at least one more though. Expect Barrow to have had a rollicking at half time.

Shame Lincoln are winning but need to do our bit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear, its all going wrong in the 2nd half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard to understand why Connor Jennings not getting a chance yet

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Connor on but too little too late I fear.

Still not convinced we'll get promoted with Mekki in the team

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Game over. 1-2. Knew it wouldn't be easy but didn't expect a defeat against an out of form barrow side again missing their top scorer.

The win at Chester despite missing the likes of Tollit, Dunn & Maynard plus Kirby and Wallace was great, but are there absences starting to catch up with us? Sounds like a poor ref again but can't keep using that as an excuse.

With Lincoln winning 4-0 and their loanee Angol grabbing a hat trick, Micky will need to lift the players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like an awful second half from Rovers and must come close to killing off any title hopes. Seeing that Lincoln's loanee got a hat-trick on debut, should MM be looking to bring someone in given our injury crisis?

drwhoman

I will be interested in the reports from those who went but it would appear that we blew it in ten second half minutes. Very disappointing. I tend to agree with the previous comments that sending Jennings on with under ten to go and then sending Stockton on at 90 +3 seems a bit odd. Lincoln won easily with Angol who they got on loan from Peterborough in the week scoring three! I suppose we are still a good chance for the play offs but any lingering hopes about automatic promotion can probably be put away for a week or two!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Couldn't have gone any worse tonight really, but that second half sounded really flat. Its far from over yet, but that's a disappointing defeat. I think Sparky might be right, the injuries might be starting to catch up with us.

Player
Manager
John King
Never at our best tonight and did not get to grips with barrows physical game. That said, we should not have lost. Blatant foul on Davies for the equaliser. However, our response to the goal was poor and we did not look like getting back in it. Nothing to do with injuries, we had enough quality on the pitch but did not deliver.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I'd agree the side we fielded had the capability to win the game, our options are reduced by the injuries and as Lincoln showed, the right new blood can re-vitalise a team.

It sounded like there were a number of below par performances. Davies, Sutton, Mekki and Hughes in particular.

Player
Manager
John King
By the same token there should not be a knne jerk reaction to one defeat against awkward opposition. We still have other options within the squad, like Connor Jennings who should have replaced mekki much earlier.

Player
Manager
John King
I heard tonight that Maynard is out for the season, but don't know the truth of it. We really missed his physical presence tonight.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tollit, Kirby, Stephenson and now perhaps Maynard out for the rest of the season. Dunn and Wallace absent for significant periods. I don't think given that list, it would be knee jerk getting one or two players in, if those of suitable quality are available, before the window closes. Alternatively, maybe look at youngsters like Duggan[lacks the physical strength of Maynard, but will run from midfield] and Askew[wide player unsure how pacey].

To have a realistic chance of catching Lincoln, we needed a result last night. Defeat, coupled with Lincoln's win at Braintree makes that much less likely, if not yet impossible