• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barrow v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we better prepare ourselves for the lottery of the playoffs and hope we don't meet any awkward opponents as we can't seem to break them down.

Injuries have to play a part as Maynard and Tollitt are two big losses and would have given us more quality in there.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just reflecting on last night's game, I think we lost because we did not, or could not, play our normal passing game and were bullied by Barrow all over the pitch. Our passing moves generally broke down with the second or third pass, with the result that the game became scrappy and disjointed, as Barrow wanted it to. To be honest, I have not seen a team in years as uninterested in playing football in midfield as the opposition yesterday: everything was hit long, with the result that Hughes was a passenger in midfield. Equally, Jay Harris did not provide the physical presence we needed and was probably lucky to stay on the pitch after making several rash challenges.

All that said, for sixty minutes we were in control without playing particularly well. The arrival of the Barrow substitutes and the foul on Davies for the equaliser were obviously turning points, but we also had a one-on-one situation at the end of the first half, where Norwood set up Cook who uncharacteristically did not finish the chance. If we had scored then we would have won the game.

As Micky has said in his interview, the lack of reaction to the equaliser was the concern. We never looked like getting back in the game from that point onwards and basically allowed ourselves to be bullied by the opposition for the final thirty minutes.

I would agree with those above that our title chances are over, which is almost a relief in a way. Hopefully we will reach Wembley in ten day's time and have at least a couple of players back in time for the play-offs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes losinf Maynard is a massive blow. Not just with his height but he's a big strong boy that gives us a presence in midfield that no one else does.

Hughes is neat and tidy but not physical at all. Harris is a nippy little player but I can imagine us at times playing nice football but not being effective. Doesn't surprise me we were bullied at times last night and how prickly we can overcome this.

Should mickey be dipping into the budget boost?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The mentality is a real concern. To not react in the second half really rings alarm bells considering the importance of these games. In not expecting us to be brilliant every game but you've got to show the desire at least.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think it was a lack of desire, it was a lack of quality and poor decision making. It is a big ask to come from behind in successive away games, particularly against such a physical team.

We have to do better, but I am not worried about the spirit in the camp.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hadn't expected this result. It went against our form and theirs. It may only be one match, but the way we lost worries me. If other teams latch onto Barrow's tactics, it will be more difficult to win games and - just as bad - we may lose more players. I still think we should make the play-offs, but I'm getting more worried about the championship.

To cheer us up, our next game is against a more cultured team and there's a Wembley appearance at stake, so hopefully this will lift the team.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just seen the video of their equaliser. You couldn't get a more blatant foul on a keeper. He clattered into Scotty's chest and knocked him back in the air. How can that not be a foul?

drwhoman

It would be nice, BBTC, if whoever is in charge of the referees were to ask the referee exactly this question. It is a moot point, of course, as to whether they would review the incident or, indeed, take any action against the individual for blatant incompetence.
As several blog participants have mentioned in the past, refereeing standards at this level are not great. This may be because errors do not get anything like the same public scrutiny as seen at Premier League level. As a consequence, there is less incentive for the relevant authorities to aggressively seek to promote better refereeing standards in our division.

drwhoman

BBTC. Reflecting on the Barrow goal. It reminds me of the old days when players could physically challenge the goalkeeper. I have vague recollections of the 1958 Cup Final when Nat Lofthouse the Bolton centre forward literally barged Ray Wood, the Man Utd goalkeeper, into the net and it was given. Bolton won 2-0 so no fairy tale after the Munich air crash when Duncan Edwards and others died. A very young Bobby Charlton survived.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
BBTC. Reflecting on the Barrow goal. It reminds me of the old days when players could physically challenge the goalkeeper. I have vague recollections of the 1958 Cup Final when Nat Lofthouse the Bolton centre forward literally barged Ray Wood, the Man Utd goalkeeper, into the net and it was given. Bolton won 2-0 so no fairy tale after the Munich air crash when Duncan Edwards and others died. A very young Bobby Charlton survived.
I remember the game well. After Munich, everyone outside Bolton supported United and was outraged at Lofthouse's challenge. But as I remember, at least Nat went up with Harry Gregg (I think it was) for the ball - unlike Tuesday when the Barrow forward ran into Scotty while he was in the air. Ray Wood was in goal for United in the previous year's final when he was barged and broke his jaw. They allowed these challenges in those days, but I thought goalies were allowed more protection nowadays.

drwhoman

I agree BBTC but unfortunately Rovers were dealing with an incompetent referee but that said, surely one of his assistants would have noticed? Interesting talking about goalies, how their bodily shape has changed with them usually being afforded more protection these days. Generally tall thin and athletic. Quite apart from the fact that training regimes were less rigorous in those days players like Harry Leyland an Tommy Lawrence had to be more solid to deal with the personal contact or indeed the attempts to steal the ball. I remember the away game at Inter-Milan in 65 when the ball was kicked out of Lawrence's hands and the goal was given. It was subsequently discovered that the ref had been bribed by the Italians.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Oh, Harry Leyland. What a character! Didn't have to move much as he blocked half the goal! We had Tommy Lawrence for a while too and also Everton and England's Gordon West, who was enormous towards the end of his career.

I know this is a Rovers forum, but I went to the first leg at Anfield the week after Liverpool had won the FA Cup for the first time when the Reds won 3-1. It was the best atmosphere I ever experienced at Anfield. I couldn't believe the away leg result but now we know why.