• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Barrow (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Barrow

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barrow (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Holker Street
Saturday, January 6, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 6, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers are in action this Saturday as they travel to Holker Street for a tricky test against The Bluebirds. Barrow sit 4th in the table and are having an excellent season so far with twelve wins and only four losses. Their form of late has been patchy though.

Their recent game against Wrexham got off to a great start with a goal from Kian Spence after only one minute of play however The Red Dragons scored three goals in three minutes effectively ending the game at HT and went on to win 4-1. Previous to this, they drew 1-1 with Accrington and 2-2 with Stockport but this will be a tough test for Rovers.

This will be Tranmere's first game after their mini revival without playmaker Rob Apter who has been in sensational form for Rovers but has now returned to Blackpool after his loan spell came to an end. This could be a chance for Josh Hawkes to cement his place in the squad before the comings and going in the January transfer window.

Former Rovers players George Ray and Sam Foley may feature for the home side.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 021431.png

Rovers will be hoping to avenge their opening day defeat against Barrow having lost the first game 1-2. Hawkes scored a penalty in that game but Barrow having taken the lead with a 19th minute Canavan goal scored the winner in the 70th minute when Spence's excellent volley hit the roof of the net. Hopefully we will see a different Rovers on Saturday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tough game this will be especially with Apter gone, will be interesting to see who starts in his place, I'm going for a draw 1 1.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
All will be good connor and Saunders to bag em in a 2-1win with rovers having another sell out

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I'd guess Hawkes will come in but Morris will swap wings and we are back to when we stagnated under Micky in principle. Whether McAlear or even Saunders remain, are live questions.
The predictable euphoria has led to premature lauding of Norris, his defensive skills may well be tested here. We've been riding our luck and Notts C were potentially the best side this season. Both centre halves badly lost their man only to be rescued by the other covering across. McGee terrible parry from the post back into the middle of the goal saw a back heel come back to him when the goal was almost fully open. On small margins, the latter incident would have made it 1-3, runs are maintained.
A bit of luck can help you get to the next stage where you are fully worth the next win. Surely Taylor must reappear on the bench now?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We've been riding our luck and Notts C were potentially the best side this season. Both centre halves badly lost their man only to be rescued by the other covering across. McGee terrible parry from the post back into the middle of the goal saw a back heel come back to him when the goal was almost fully open. On small margins, the latter incident would have made it 1-3, runs are maintained.
A bit of luck can help you get to the next stage where you are fully worth the next win.
DB, I think you are being overly negative. Standards have greatly improved. Yes, the opposition have made defensive mistakes and missed good chances. We have even had a few refereeing decisions go our way. But over a season these things tend to even out. The difference now is that the side is resilient and can take their mistakes and bad luck in their stride. Look at the last three home games, where we came back from a goal down. Earlier in the season, we often lost after being ahead.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is the toughest test we have faced since the Stevenage game. In this run of five games, each game has been potentially tougher than the last, culminating in a top four side away from home.

Barrow had a perfect November followed by a rollercoaster December. It will be tough, but we are an improving side. I don’t know quite how much we’ll miss Apter, but in Hawkes we have last season’s top scorer, who has been really unlucky to miss out. Heart says win, head says lose. I’m going with heart.

Barrow are still unbeaten at home and don’t concede many at home. But they also draw a lot at home and don’t score many either. All very similar to Mansfield when we went there… and that was 2-2!

I agree that, on paper at least, this our toughest game since November. And next week’s is arguably our toughest home game for a while too. Two good tests for us while we look to reshape the squad a bit.

I think we’ll lose some of our attacking edge with Apter’s return to his club and, seeing as we hardly ever keep a clean sheet, we can’t keep having to score at least two to win a game.

Crunching all that lot into a prediction, I’ll go for 1-1. And I’d be quite happy with that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don’t think Morris will move to the right. Nigel would be crazy to do that given Kieran’s form. More likely Hawkes will play there and he’ll just have to get on with it if he wants to be in the starting eleven. Failing that bring walker back in the middle if fit and play McAlear on the right side. Especially as we’re away from home and there are doubts about Hawkes defensive work, but I think it’ll be Hawkes on the right.

Even if walker is fit I suspect Nigel will reward McAlear with another start. So I’m expecting the same team apart from Apter, assuming wood is still out.

It could go either way. Barrow have some decent players including Whitfield but they haven’t won in 3 and we’re in great form so a win is possible. A draw wouldn’t be a bad result though. Barrow are unbeaten at home after 11 games, but with 5 wins and 6 draws.

I just hope that without apter the players don’t feel sorry for themselves and it’s the start of poorer form without Rob. Overly negative perhaps, but he made such a difference to us I do worry about the impact on goals, results and general morale even with Nigel at the helm

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If we could win the game on Saturday there is an opportunity to narrow the gap to the top seven, with so many other sides involved in the FA Cup.

I agree with Sparky that Hawkes will start. However, there is also an opportunity to move Jennings back into midfield and go with a front two of Jolley and Saunders, both of whom are in good form.

I would bring Walker back into the side if he is fit, but I agree that McAlear will probably keep his place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A difficult game is made harder by Apter's departure and Adkins' absence from the touchline after his New Year red card. Plus I'm attending this one.

Agree with the Hawkes in and Morris staying on the left posts. I think we'll want to minimise further disruption, though if Walker is 100% perhaps a return for him. Hard game to call, but suspect our winning run will come to an end.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I'd guess Hawkes will come in but Morris will swap wings and we are back to when we stagnated under Micky in principle. Whether McAlear or even Saunders remain, are live questions.
The predictable euphoria has led to premature lauding of Norris, his defensive skills may well be tested here. We've been riding our luck and Notts C were potentially the best side this season. Both centre halves badly lost their man only to be rescued by the other covering across. McGee terrible parry from the post back into the middle of the goal saw a back heel come back to him when the goal was almost fully open. On small margins, the latter incident would have made it 1-3, runs are maintained.
A bit of luck can help you get to the next stage where you are fully worth the next win. Surely Taylor must reappear on the bench now?
It is true that Notts County had missed chances yes in the first half one of which was an absolute sitter but then that is true of every game. That said going in level was likely massively important to us. McGee also you are correct whilst being lauded has made several noteable errors recently including the parry you mentioned and also a poor attempt at a punch which could have gone anywhere. Similar in other recent games with poor parries back into the danger area.
That said, that second half was as good football wise as we have seen in may years in my view with swift penetrating attacks, players finding space at will and excellent overlapping on both sides, certainly way better than we should expect at L2 level. Apter will be a massive loss clearly - incidentally in Adkins interview with BBC Merseyside I wondered was I the only one who thought there was a little bit of rewriting of history in justifying why Apter was initially not being picked at season start? Hawkes surely comes in for him. I also would bring Walker straight back in if he is fit - McAlear has done well yes but Walker is a much better footballer IMO with a much better pass on him which we will need now we don't have the "give it to Apter to sort outlet".
As to Taylor that to me is the one thing of Adkins' reign I am still unsure about. Saunders and Jolley both being preferred still seems strange to me. I would expect given Adkins seems to prefer them he may be sent out on loan during the window - pretty sure NL clubs would be interested.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McGee is playing at this level for a reason. However he’s the best keeper we’ve had at Rovers in a while, has earned us more points than he’s lost us, plus his willingness to play the sweeper-keeper role is compatible with how Adkins sets Rovers up to play. Even his critics on here don’t seem to be suggesting that we prioritise getting a new keeper over other areas that need bolstering during the window!

Walker should only be considered for a start if fully fit. His ability to game manage is valuable along with his other attributes, but McAlear has done well in the last game and a half he’s played, better than I expected, so don’t think Walker’s return is imperative.

I haven’t listened to the Adkins interview yet, but from his early appearances with Rovers, it wasn’t evident just how good Apter could be. My initial impression, which has been proved wrong, was that Rob might best be used as an impact sub.

I’d agree Nigel’s handling of Sam Taylor has been puzzling, though he did have an injury for a period. Wouldn’t loan him out other than for a short spell, unless we’re satisfied that we have enough up front. ‘Enough’ would include at least one of a fit Luke Norris or a Norris-type addition to the squad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Boz about McGee. He seems to get as much criticism from some quarters that Doohan and Hewlet got!! Yes he’s far from perfect (if he was then he wouldn’t be playing for us), but for league two and overall, he’s a very good keeper.

My guess with Sam Taylor is that the club like him given his recent contract extension, but that they didn’t think he was the right sort of player for our fairly recent relegation 6 pointers. Either too inexperienced, or not physically strong enough for a battle. My guess is that if Dennis and Norris are soon to be fit then Sam will go out on loan. Clearly rated by the club but perhaps not in the immediate short term.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
McGee is playing at this level for a reason. However he’s the best keeper we’ve had at Rovers in a while, has earned us more points than he’s lost us, plus his willingness to play the sweeper-keeper role is compatible with how Adkins sets Rovers up to play. Even his critics on here don’t seem to be suggesting that we prioritise getting a new keeper over other areas that need bolstering during the window!
McGee has been superb this season. Any minor errors he has made have been more than outweighed by the numerous occasions where he has kept us in the game with saves that would not be expected of an average League Two keeper. That has happened even in the recent matches we have ultimately won comfortably.

Like you Boz, I initially thought Apter would just be used from the bench because of the inconsistency of most players of his age.

In relation to Adkins' comments, he would not publicly criticise Dawes' decisions regarding Apter, which is not to say he would not have made different decisions had he been in charge at the start of the season. It is actually possible that Apter took a while to adapt to the demands of training when he first arrived.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McGee has been superb this season. Any minor errors he has made have been more than outweighed by the numerous occasions where he has kept us in the game with saves that would not be expected of an average League Two keeper. That has happened even in the recent matches we have ultimately won comfortably.

Like you Boz, I initially thought Apter would just be used from the bench because of the inconsistency of most players of his age.

In relation to Adkins' comments, he would not publicly criticise Dawes' decisions regarding Apter, which is not to say he would not have made different decisions had he been in charge at the start of the season. It is actually possible that Apter took a while to adapt to the demands of training when he first arrived.
Yes in Nigel’s pre match yesterday he hinted that Apter took a bit of time to settle. You can imagine going from reserve team football to the rigours of a league two team in a relegation fight could be a bit of a shock for a young lad. In recent weeks as well as goals and assists. I’ve been equally impressed with Apters defensive work and it’s possible that has taken some time to develop that side of his game with us.

In the same interview Nigel is asked could Apter come back and he just says you never know but most deals are done late in the window. Let’s keep everything crossed

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I think with Apter, a lot of fans and possibly people at the club were concerned he might be a bit lightweight and another Logan Chalmers. Tbh the odd appearance early on didn't ease those worries.
He looks a stronger lad than Chalmers and as RLC alludes adapting to our training and what was expected of him in his playing role didnt happen ovènight. He will have improved as a player since he's been here. Credit to him for a willingness to lwork and learn. Also to Nigel for spelling out his role. In particular defensively and counter attacking quickly when the opportunity arises. Hope we get him back.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Well, I've gone for a draw, as the last three of four times I have, we have won!
The weather hasn't been good and reminds me of the time when we played there and the pitch wasn't the best and cut upbadly , so much, they didn't play a home game for a month after.
The 4-3 win also is a good memory.
More changes in the starting eleven, hopefully they won't effect the run of results and the confidence from them.

Reactions: Ian

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Hoping for a draw, but fear a 1 or 2 nil defeat.
Hawkes will probably get a deserved chance to reassert himself as a starter. Hope he's on the scoresheet.
Off the wall I wouldn't mind seeing one of our full backs playing in front of LOC.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Sparky saw McAlear coming in at right mid. Must admit I didn't, but makes sense bigmart re extra height.