• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Alan Mahon out till at least November

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its a pity we can't pay him off and get rid of him - maybe Chester will want him !?!

IMO he has a decent left foot but doesn't have the energy and is well and truly past it. Plus he just wont fit into the 4-3-3 Les wants.

Although as Barnsey gave him a 3 yr deal, he'll be happy just picking up the money I am sure.

Player
Goodison
Although as Barnsey gave him a 3 yr deal, he'll be happy just picking up the money I am sure.

It was PJ not dumber, it was such a stupid decision to give a 3 year deal to an old, injury prone midfielder. Why not give a 3 year deal to someone like Labadie or Bakayogo?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I feel for Alan, he's a nice bloke and a very good footballer.

He wouldn't have come here if we'd offered any less than 3 years, he turned down deals with better clubs to come here and that was the clincher. At the time I think most fans considered the deal to be a risk but were quite pleased to have him here. In hindsight it's easy to blame Barnes/PJ/Philpotts for beinging him in on such terms but sometimes things just happen this way.

It's a shame that Les is biased against midfielders who can pass a ball. Hopefully we'll see Alan in the first team before Christmas.

Also it's vile to incinuate Mahon would be doing anything wrong by "picking up his money" - what would you do? I'm sure he's more disappointed than anyone regarding his fitness. Implying he's sponging money from the club is pathetic.

Mahon & Broomes

Yeah, I really hoped Mahon would make an impact this coming season but according to Les his recovery period from the virus last year in pre-season really slowed him down so goodness knows what this will do!!

On a "happier" note??? At least Marlon's re-signed. I would have preferred McCready but I know we had to have assistance from Northampton to pay his wages last season so I guess he was out of our price range too!!:cry:

Player
Goodison
I don't know how anyone can say he's not good enough since he had about one game under Parry, and actually looked ok. Hopefully he will recover soon but I wouldn't be surprised if he left in January on a mutual termination or something like that.

The idea he's spongeing comes straight out of the Daily Mail immigrants and asylum seekers hand book! No player intentially gets injured and he's not going to refuse his pay when he is. If you were injured at work or ill for a week you wouldn't ask r your employer to not pay you whilst you recovered!

As for Broomes re-signing it's not bad news because we need more players, but it's not great news because I don't think he's very good. I would rather we had brought in a new centre back, you never know we may do but I wont put a bet on it just yet!

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
About as surprising as Ledley King not gettting through even 1 game at the World Cup!

The idea he's spongeing comes straight out of the Daily Mail immigrants and asylum seekers hand book! No player intentially gets injured and he's not going to refuse his pay when he is. If you were injured at work or ill for a week you wouldn't ask r your employer to not pay you whilst you recovered!

I've never said hes sponging but have consistently said from the moment he signed that the 3 year deal was a major mistake. He must be on very decent money - money that we didn't have at the time and certainly havent got now. And i havent seen anything since hes been back (even when he was playing) that suggested he was anywhere near worth it

And before we start feeling too sorry for him lets not forget he cost us probably nearly £1 million when he walked out on us first time round.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
How many times have you seen Mahon play to form such a judgement?

He didn't cost us anything and he didn't walk out. His contract expired. That's our fault.

You sound like Lorraine Rogers.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
To add to the Mahon woes, today was the deadline for the players who were offered contracts to accept them and there is no sign of Bakayogo, Welsh etc. signing. Nothing against Marlon but he was probably the weakest player of all those who were offered deals.

Wonder what happens now that several contracts haven't been accepted ? The likes of Bakayogo will obviously find new clubs, but does a player like Curran still have the option of coming back to us if he can't find new employment ?

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
How many times have you seen Mahon play to form such a judgement?

He didn't cost us anything and he didn't walk out. His contract expired. That's our fault.

You sound like Lorraine Rogers.

His contract expired and he went abroad. If he had gone to any other club in this country we would have got substantial compensation for him. Instead he went abroad, didnt play for a year then came back with his back pocket bulging. And then we invited him back and gave him a three year contract.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with TRFC_Ian to the extent that Alan Mahon hasn't really impressed since his return. Barnes played him wide-left and under Les, he's been restricted to a few cameos as sub only impressing in the Southampton game. He's still resident on Wirral (Willaston?) so am not sure that he wouldn't have come if only offered 2 years and if that was the case, we should have said no.

Of the out-of-contracters with offers, I'm not surprised Zoum hasn't signed and Welsh may think he can do better elsewhere. Curran is an interesting one, the fact he was on the pfa website as out of contract, when others weren't suggests he's putting himself in the shop window. However because of his age and the fact he was offered a new deal, I think any club taking him on might have to pay us a fee.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
His contract expired and he went abroad. If he had gone to any other club in this country we would have got substantial compensation for him. Instead he went abroad, didnt play for a year then came back with his back pocket bulging. And then we invited him back and gave him a three year contract.
I think we did get compensation for him when he returned from Spain and signed for Blackburn. However, at the end of 1999-2000, we lost not only him but David Kelly and Gary Jones from our League Cup final team. Within a year, we got relegated to our current division. Though it leaves a nasty taste, it's within the rules to leave a club when you're contract ends. David Kelly and Gary Jones both came back and no-one moaned, so why is Mahon being singled out?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko

We let his contract run out, therefore he can do what the **** he likes. I would have done the same as him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If my memory serves me well (and it didn't for Sporting Lisbon!), the compensation rules then applied only for moves within England. However, if the player came back from abroad then compensation is paid. I don't know how much we got of the £1.25 million Blackburn paid!

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
We let his contract run out, therefore he can do what the **** he likes. I would have done the same as him.

Its not the letting of the contract run out that I objected to - Jones, Kelly, and more recently Kay have all done that and are still liked by most fans. It was the going abroad bit. If he had gone straight to Blackburn then good luck to him. But by going to Lisbon when he was under 23 he knew we wouldn't get anything for him so he could pocket more money. From what I heard at the time (and please shout me down if I'm wrong!) we got very little if anything when he came back to Blackburn.

And you may have done it Sonkorly - but I'd like to think I would have had some respect to the club that brought me through (and the fans) and gone straight to anothr English club when my contact expired. Unless it was Mahon's lifelong ambition to play alongside Phil Babb at club as well as international level!

Player
Goodison
I dont think classing Mahon in a similar category to Sean Thornton is very fair to be honest. This whole, "he went to Sporting Lisbon so he got all the money" sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. I don't think any compensation fee would have had much effect on the contract he was offered - you have a seperate wage and transfer budget.

Perhaps he just went to Portugal as it's quite a nice country to live in weather wise and playing abroad is a completely different experience? Not to mention Sporting Lisbon are quite a big club in comparision to Tranmere and other top championship, lower premiership clubs at the time.

If you want to blame anyone for not getting compensation for Mahon you should blame the club, they obviously didn't offer him a long enough deal in the first place which would have enabled us to get a fee for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not getting involved in the discussions about his contract, it's all a bit of nonsense. The one thing I will say is I don't know what all the fuss is about. We hardly saw him last season. We choose to use loan players and youth whilst he sat on the bench. Hardly a great asset to the team.