• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

drwhoman

Dunn has potential from what I saw with Pool reserves. Hard to come in late as he did and then to be injured. See how he goes with a full season before him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pleased Suttons signed. Not a bad defender at this level and can fill in when needed. Still need a pacey defender though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dunn is a hard one to assess. The injuries he had while on loan meant he didn't really impress but there were glimpses, like the audacious long distance effort at Wembley, which showed what he was capable of, though never grabbed hold of a game in the way Tollit could.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with everyone else that we need another, pacy centre back. However, Sutton did have a decent partnership with McNulty last season before he got injured.

Last edited:
M

Mal

Dunn is a hard one to assess. The injuries he had while on loan meant he didn't really impress but there were glimpses, like the audacious long distance effort at Wembley, which showed what he was capable of, though never grabbed hold of a game in the way Tollit could.
Micky appears to have the ability to nurture talent (e.g. Stockton improvement). As Dunn was injured for most of his initial stay, I am happy with MMs judgment should Dunn actually be joining. A full pre-season should show how the team is developing

Player
Manager
John King
In the matches where Dunn and Tollitt played on the wings in a 442 we were excellent (Bromley at home springs to mind). Although that was more down to Ben than Jack, he does give us proper balance in that formation.

drwhoman

If they get it together we could be in for exciting times next season! Let us hope all the injured guys are ready for pre-season!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it'll be great to have the injured players back. Really missed Tollitt in particular.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Happy that Sutton is staying fairly solid defender, dunn clearly has some talent but his decision making looked to be off but think micky can sort him out if he does sign, squad coming together quite nicely at the moment

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
Glad Sutton signed also I hope Dunn signs as well did well with Tollitt before they both got their injuries.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
So now confirmed Stockton leaving the club and moving to Hearts in the SPL. As a result we get no fee, a regrettably similar situation to the position when Ash Taylor left us I believe.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shame we get nothing for him, although to be fair he's been in and out of the squad for years. Wish him well in the SPL.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Good un BBTC!
For some reason Stockton never really looked like he 'fitted'. That may have been because he spent a fair amount of time out on loan. But even in his last spell with a regular shirt he seemed to me to have distanced himself.

Player
Manager
John King
No great surprise and I am not that disappointed as Cook will now become the main man once again. While Cole is undeniably a good player, I think Cook is more suited to the rough and tumble of the NL and is equally prolific. There were certainly games where Stockton was bullied out of it, the final against FGR one example. Cook was my favourite player last season and the one I enjoyed watching most. Let us build the team around him and win the league.

It will be interesting to see if we bring another forward in. Theoretically we should have enough with three big name strikers, but Mangan was awful last season and might be on a downward spiral.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wish cole all the best hope it works out for him, we move on now and build for next season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was talk of Cook being linked with FL clubs, while he was out off favour. I'm unsure how the relationship is between Cook and Micky now and that will be an important factor going forward.

On strikers, Tollit and Kirby can play up front, so we have options. Personally, I'd have liked to see Ilesamni or Omatola given a pro deal, but that ship has sailed. I think there is a need for another striker, given Mangan's decline and Norwood's disciplinary record.

Cole is a high maintenance forward. Hope he does well at Hearts, but it depends on whether his manager is on the same wavelength

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Cole is pretty much a confidence player. When he's picked regularly and is scoring goals, he can be a right handful. Having said that, he played almost no part in Tranmere decline (which I suppose is a good thing) over the last x amount of years he's been at Tranmere. Apart from this season when he's looked decent, he's had some awful games for us in the past, but like RLC says, we can work around Cook who we know can get us 20+ goals a season. I still think him and Norwood make a good pairing but I have a feeling MM will want to bring another forward in for competition. I think Mangan is past his best in all honesty.

M

Mal

There was talk of Cook being linked with FL clubs, while he was out off favour. I'm unsure how the relationship is between Cook and Micky now and that will be an important factor going forward.

On strikers, Tollit and Kirby can play up front, so we have options. Personally, I'd have liked to see Ilesamni or Omatola given a pro deal, but that ship has sailed. I think there is a need for another striker, given Mangan's decline and Norwood's disciplinary record.

Cole is a high maintenance forward. Hope he does well at Hearts, but it depends on whether his manager is on the same wavelength

i wonder now how much Cole being picked over Cook was about trying to keep him at Tranmere?

Player
Manager
John King
i wonder now how much Cole being picked over Cook was about trying to keep him at Tranmere?
I think it definitely played a part. Apparently Mellon and Jackson had to sit down with Cole even to persuade him to come back here from Morecambe. Stockton was out of contract and Cook was not, and I am sure that affected their decision making.

Interestingly, Sutton was not offered a contract until Ihiekwe left, hence everyone assumed he was going to Chester. When Michael departed, Ritchie was offered a deal and accepted it.