• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure how Boz can be so negative in his assessment of Norburn when he has barely seen him play. Personally, I am pleased with this signing as we need something different in midfield. Hughes and Wallace are good on the ball but pedestrian in their style, and neither of them score goals. I think I am right in saying Norburn scored more goals last season than our midfield combined. Like Sparky, I have always rated Kingsley James and would be happy if he joined us too.

I am not too disappointed about Maynard leaving. We will definitely miss his physicality, which is something you need at this level. However, technically he was quite a poor player and not good enough to play in the Football League.

What alarms me more is that Salford have clearly out bid us. For a club at that level, with less than 1,000 supporters, to be paying better wages than us shows what we are up against with the bankrolled clubs. We also have Fylde and Ebbsfleet to contend with and recruitment this summer might not be as easy as some of us imagined.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, you just need to look at who the owners of Salford are to realise what money they can call upon.

Norburn looks a useful signing as he has a few goals in him and is young enough to improve.

Looks like Stockton is either going to Scotland or League 1, if he goes to Scotland we wont get any compensation which would be a blow

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, you just need to look at who the owners of Salford are to realise what money they can call upon.

Norburn looks a useful signing as he has a few goals in him and is young enough to improve.

Looks like Stockton is either going to Scotland or League 1, if he goes to Scotland we wont get any compensation which would be a blow
I know who they are, that is why I don't like them ! As a united fan, it is probably one of the reasons Maynard went there.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be bad news if Stockton went to Scotland and we got nothing for him.

I haven't seen Norburn play live at all in the season just gone as I missed the Trophy games and he didn't feature in either league game. My perception from what I've read and clips seen is of a decent player, some quality strikes, otherwise nothing star-shaking and on the basis of the controversial goal he scored against Braintree, a slightly wonky moral compass. There is no requirement to go overboard with adulation for every signing we make, the Adam Dawson second coming thread is worth re-reading to illustrate this. I hope he does well and that he's a player who Micky can improve, but if we are to be strong title contenders, then some high calibre additions are needed too.

Player
Manager
John King
Nobody has gone overboard, they have just commented that he is a decent prospect. He is also a different kind of midfielder to the ones we already have, which is as important as being a 'high calibre' signing (whatever that might be).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think that's a decent signing. We've had problems with lack of goals in midfield for years so hopefully this guy can chip in with a few to help the front two. I also think MM will get the best out of him like he's done with other players since his arrival.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It would be bad news if Stockton went to Scotland and we got nothing for him.
True, as was the case with Ash Taylor. However, as was the case with Alan Mahon, we will get compensation whenever they return to play for an English club.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Doesn't that depend on whether there's a fee involved? If Stockton did say 2 years at Hearts and then signed for an English club when that contract runs out, wouldn't get anything?

I see Ash Taylor, the last player to make a similar move has declined a new offer at Aberdeen and wants to return South of the border. It will be interesting seeing at what level he ends up playing after what's been a fairly successful stint with the Dons.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Doesn't that depend on whether there's a fee involved? If Stockton did say 2 years at Hearts and then signed for an English club when that contract runs out, wouldn't get anything?

I see Ash Taylor, the last player to make a similar move has declined a new offer at Aberdeen and wants to return South of the border. It will be interesting seeing at what level he ends up playing after what's been a fairly successful stint with the Dons.
I seem to remember Alan Mahon went to Sporting Lisbon and we got nothing, but when he later went to Blackburn Rovers they paid a fee to Sporting but we also got some compensation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ritchie Sutton signs a 2 year deal. Interesting, given the rumour mill suggested he might be moving on. I think he does a better job in central defence than right-back but can't compensate for McNulty's deficiencies in the way Ihiekwe could.

BBTC, I'm sure you're right re Mahon. Where there isn't a fee involved, as in Ash Taylor's likely return to an English side, don't think it applies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased about Sutton. Versatile across the back line and rarely has a bad game. Whether he can play left side of defence in place of Ihikwe remains to be seen but Richie must have been given some assurances about playing time now he's 31 and wasn't first choice last season. wouldn't mind some pace though in the back line as none of Sutton, Buxton or Big Mac are quick.

Could do with the Stockton situation sorting ASAP so hopefully the cook rumours will stop. Hartlepool the latest apparently wanting to tempt him back to the North East. If he does stay and Cole goes, surely we should be offering cook a new contract as it runs out next year. Would be gutted to lose him on a free transfer.

Expect ash Taylor to sign for a championship or L1 club

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't think Hartlepool have a great deal of money to tempt anyone. If Cook does leave us, I'd expect him to go to a FL side.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Delighted about Sutton, who I rate highly. As well as being a good defender, he seems to have good leadership qualities and also has an eye for a goal. For Micky to give him a two-year deal at his age, he must also think a lot of him.

I agree we are short of pace at the back. Gumbs is now by far our youngest defender, but I'm not sure how quick he is.

drwhoman

So Iheiwke and Maynard have gone and Norburn as arrived. Who are we still waiting on for a decision whether to stay? Vaughan?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Waiting on just Vaughan and Stockton I think from the first team. Who knows about Steve Jennings but not concerned if he leaves.

Cole apparently close to sealing his move to hearts

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Pilling, whose on international duty or Drysdale have signed up yet. Vaughan had other offers on the table before his leg break and believe he commutes from the Midlands, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him move on. Read elsewhere, that the cut-off point for acceptance of offers is tomorrow, though can't vouch how accurate that is.

drwhoman

Thanks for the information guys. No disrespect to Cole, who is a decent player, but it shows the current standard of Scottish football if he can get a gig with the team that finished 5th in the SPL. Looking forward to seeing who MM gets as a replacement.