• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euro 2012

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Technically not a TRFC topic but it's close season. And Joe Hart used to play for us so there you go.

Who do we fancy to win? How do we rate England's chances? Do we care?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Individually I think this is the poorest England team for over a decade. However, we have a competent and likeable manager who has the respect of the players, so maybe we are due for a summer of overachievement ?

On the subject of Joe Hart, I wonder how many of us actually knew he would become one of the best keepers in the world when he had his loan spell here ?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
JH didn't strike me as being anything other than competent at the time, but only played 6 games.

England side is quite weak, but a more important factor might be the shambolic timing of FA in deciding to sack Capello. Hodgson is definitely the right man for the job, but his ethos is based on team shape with an overarching emphasis on training drills etc (which they won't have had much time for).

All in all though I think that England's recognition that they aren't a top class side is probably a good thing and they could go quite playing on the counter.

I think Germany will win, although France may surprise people.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Joe Hart looked fairly decent when at Rovers, given he was only a teenager with only a few starts before he was here.

I thought Hodgson was going to be ok, but he's made some howlers with the team selection; Kelly ahead of Richards, Henderson rather than Carrick, Downing not Adam Johnson. Plus his failure to explain the footballing reasons why Ferdinand wasn't called up when Cahill was ruled out doesn't impress. Nobody's expecting England to do well, getting out of the group would be success.

No real feel for who'll win, though Spain still fairly strong.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Getting out of the group wouldn't really be a "success" imo, given that England are clearly the second best side in the group. I also think the selection of Downing/Henderson is somewhat justified given the way Hodgson will have his side set up. Regardless of that, England aren't good enough to find success with the gung-ho approach to tactics that Redknapp would inevitably have opted for, so Hodgson remains the logical choice for me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think England will probably do well in the group stage and then get knocked out in the latter stages. The usual scenario for England. I'd love them to do well while the chips seem to be down.

Love these competitions. 2 games a day, can't beat it. Makes the pre-season go so much quicker.

On the subject of Hart, didn't think he looked anything special when he was with us, although I'm sure it didn't do wonders for his confidence. Anyone that can keep Given out of the sticks has got to be good. He's turned into a superb keeper.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Continuing the Euro theme, I thought the Russians did well tonight, some good goals. 7 goals in the first 2 games. Hope we see plenty more.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Hodgson is the right man for the job given the players that are available, although Harry may have been appropriate in the years of the so-called 'golden generation'. I get the impression that Redknapp would be tactically naive at international level, and might have ended up as another Keegan; the charismatic manager who never quite lived up to expectations with the national team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I fancy Holland to beat Spain in the final, think England will be runners up then get beaten by Spain.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Holland looked toothless in front of goal. Silly thing to say with Van Persie and Huntelaar in their ranks, but they had 20+ shots and couldn't hit the net. Next they'll be saying their unlucky like our neighbours across the pond.

I think Italy may surprise a few people.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Italy will surprise people without doing notably well IMO - a very un-Italian side by all accounts. Many countries are losing their sense of traditional national identity when it comes to international football, which may or may not be a good thing, but is definitely a symbol of how tactics in international football are nowdays following global trends rather than setting them. Italy are one of few sides not playing a form of 4-2-3-1, mainly because they quality lack wingers. Cassano and Balotelli up front is a match made in heaven for fans of cult footballing figures with a history of mental health issues.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i was going to put some money on Holland to win it.England could go far depending on how they get on against France,if they can beat the french who knows what could happen.i watched most of the Germany v Portugul game and the first 20 minutes it looked like it could be a good match but as the match wore on it got a bit niggly.Martin kelly will not let anyone down in the tournament if he gets much match time he is a promising young defender learning his trade.i know everyone is unhappy well maybe the Man u fans will be but thats football and i think now that the press needs to stop repeating themselves and saying that england made a mistake leaving Rio Ferdinand out as it will not do any good and it will not help Martin Kelly's confidence.\\:D/

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was disappointed with the Germany v Portugal game. Portugal's tactics were very negative. Frustrating when you have the likes of Ronaldo and Nani in the team.

I've got high hopes for the Spain v Italy game and good luck to R. of Ireland.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
ROI need to win this one I think if they are going to have any chance at all of getting out their group, cant see them beating spain, but maybe a draw with the eyeties is possible...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I was disappointed with the Germany v Portugal game. Portugal's tactics were very negative. Frustrating when you have the likes of Ronaldo and Nani in the team.

Yeah, the problem was that a draw was a good result for both sides after what happened to the Dutch...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fairly enjoyable games yesterday. Spain v Italy was a good competitive game and I can see these two teams topping the group. Rep. of Ireland have a really big mountain to climb now. Sadly, their standard just isn't good enough.

Come on England!! \\:D/

drwhoman

EURO 12

I agree with most of the sentiments above. RH has always had well structured teams that, while not worldbeaters, rarely got flogged. The current squad is competant but not great so they may well be more willing to play the game as Roy wants it. They will not let many in but can they score enough is the question? On Richards/Carrick as mentioned by Boz. Am I dreaming or did they not both say that they did not want to be considered, certainly for standby? If I am right this reflects the arrogance of many modern players and like the equally arrogant and very vocal Rio Ferdinand (the famous drug cheat) they should not be picked. It should be an honour to play for your country. I actually thought RH's public reason for not selecting Rio was a bit weak (he was too senior to sit on the bench) but it dealt with the 'problem'. He has gone quiet since. No class that man. Not sure who will win the tournament at this stage although the Rep of Ireland and the Czechs can probably be discounted now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, footballers should be picked on ability primarily. Excepting Theo Walcott and James Milner, of the current established players, I doubt there are many you'd want going out with your daughters. Puzzling that you're silent about the man without class or morals namely John Terry, although he does merit being there on footballing grounds.

As for players refusing to be on standby, it depends on the circumstances. England is not blessed with right-backs. Micah Richards is entitled to feel p*ssed off that when Kyle Walker was ruled out, Roy turns to Phil Jones, who is a central-defender/midfielder, with considerably less experience. Another decision the English manager has never adequately explained.

Onfield, a draw was a decent result with France, given the majority of chances they had. Never seen Nasri play that well for Man City or Arsenal. However, the Ukraine win makes it even less likely England will get past the group stage. Need to beat our Swedish nemesis to have a chance.

drwhoman

EURO 12

I agree re John Terry Boz. A bit of a thug who clearly fancies himself with the ladies! I only mentioned Rio because he was whinging about not being picked. The fact is he has not been fit half the season and there would be concerns about his ability to go the distance. In my view Micah Richards is a good player who I may have chosen myself but he is not entitled to anything. He does not pick the team and he has no God given right to be in it. Choices have to be made and it is his bad luck that those in charge looked elsewhere. If he had kept his head down instead of spitting the dummy he might have got the call before Kelly. We will never know. Anyway, lets hope for a win against Sweden.