• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

York City v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This fixture against an erratic York side might have been a relatively easy game for the Rovers side of a month ago, but how much effect have the two defeats and GB's adverse criticism had on the players' confidence?

The last time we played there, both teams were fighting for FL survival. Prior to the game, York couldn't buy a win at home, but our hapless display handed them three points and turned their season round. We continued our slide to the NL.

I doubt Connor Jennings will be fit in time, which will give GB a selection problem, but otherwise there should be a full squad.

With only a few away fans likely to make it, it will be a tough test. My head fears the worst (another narrow defeat) but my heart says a glorious win. I'll really stick my neck out and go for a 2-0 victory.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My only trip to Bootham was the game BBTC refers to, when we lost due to a bad throw-in from Iain Hume..according to Mickey Adams. The reality was it was such a dire performance, where we hardly tested their keeper and for me that was the point when I came to realise we were likely to drop out of the league.

York have had an erratic start to the season, but they are unbeaten at home. It's a question of which team turns up for them, as on their day they look capable of beating anyone.

I expect Brabin to start with the team that begun the second half v Lincoln ie Kirby instead of the injured Connor Jennings. Personally I'd start with Stephenson instead, raw certainly but he might make things happen. I'd imagine a decent turnout from SWA, there are supporters club coaches going and all being well, I'll be there. Not confident of turning things around here.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
GB seems to favour Kirby but like Boz I think Stephenson should be given a run. I'm sure Nors & Cook will still start but you do wonder with GB criticising them whether there may be some drastic changes. Unlikely but you never know.

A draw wouldn't be a disaster but that would mean 1 win in 5....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As has been mentioned above, our last visit to York saw one of the worst Rovers performances in living memory. It was a display that should have finished off Mickey Adams (apparently Palios was not present) and we make our return with the current manager under similar pressure. Unfortunately, the signing of Ethan Jones does not fill me with confidence going into this fixture.

With Connor Jennings out I think Stephenson should start this game, with Norwood and Cook both retaining their places; neither Kirby or Mekki have done enough in recent weeks to justify a start. York's form has certainly been erratic, but unfortunately all of their good performances have come at home and I doubt this will be an easy game for us in our current mood. Like Boz, I would expect a healthy Rovers turnout of about 500 and I think both result and performance are massively important in this fixture, not least for the manager.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree wth starting Stephenson ansd GB hinted this was a strong possibility in his post match interview. I think a draw would be decent here to steady the ship and get backing to picking up points. However our away form is generally excellent and we'll probably win 3-0 with a Stephenson hattrick. :eek:

drwhoman

The new signing is a strange one. Has Gary got the right Jones? It is a common name! (LOL!) Maybe there is a creative midfielder or solid left back out there named Jones? Unkind I know - he may be a real whiz.

Player
Nevin
Not exactly looking forward to this one. York seem to be capable enough and right now a draw would be another step back in the title race. I'd go with Stephenson for the third striker role. I'm afraid I'm predicting a 1-1. Which would have been an OK result if we had got something out of the last two.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Stephenson starts. Sounding lively.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent result after playing for most of the second half with 10-men. Sounded like they battled well and were pretty much up against the officials again. Glad Stephenson lasted for the full game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin started with a similar formation, with Stephenson on the left of a front three, Ridehalgh at left-back and Hughes in midfield.. We played well in the first half, but a couple of excellent crosses into the box from Hughes and Vaughan weren't converted. Our best efforts were a Maynard shot just wide, a Stephenson header and a shot from Hughes blocked by their keeper. We had enough chances to have been comfortably ahead at half-time.

Second-half was a different story. The referee, who'd been ok in the first half, seemed to be applying different rules to the two teams in the second to our detriment. Shortly before the Hughes incident, Cook ought to have been given a free-kick for being pushed off the ball. It was hard to judge the sending-off from the away end, but the referee's handling off it gave the impression it was a reaction to the York theatrics rather than a measured judgement call. Having seen footage of it, there is a strong two-footed challenge by Hughes, which does get the ball, but also the man (that obnoxious lump, Richard Brodie, who certainly milked it). At this level, it's pot-luck what the ref will do, have seen worse go unpunished. Hughes' reaction to the red card and the scuffles which followed may see his ban extended and both clubs fined for failing to control their players. The game then followed a pattern of largely ineffective York attacks, though their number 20, a pacey wide-player was giving Ridehalgh a hard time and weird refereeing, the AR on the far side seemed to have made it a personal mission not to give Rovers anything. Interspersed were a few Rovers breaks, with our best chance as Norwood hit the bar. In the end, grateful for the point, but we could have been out of sight after 45 minutes.

The positives were good support from the travelling SWA, though 339 was fewer than expected, really getting behind the side when we were a man short. Disappointing that many of the team didn't acknowledge this properly at the end. Stephenson had a sound first start, probably MoM, though on what's been said about him was expecting a bit more pace and I don't recall Davies having to make a significant save due to the quality of defending.

The concerns were the finishing, had about 8 or 9 good efforts, didn't score one. Also our options limited, when we went down to 10 men, only Harris of a defensive nature on the bench and his lack of height meant it was better sticking with what we've got, also think Brabin right not to bring Jones on even though Cook tiring, as Andy's greater experience would help. With Hughes and Connor J out of action for a period, we need to look at loaning/recruiting a creative midfielder and perhaps recall Gumbs for left-back cover.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks Boz. Stephenson looked quite pacey when I saw him in the last game although suspect he tired quite a bit in the second half. Defensively sound as we would expect but it's still a worry that we are not converting our chances. I think it's a good point with 10-men but we really do need to start puting the ball in the net.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report Boz. Not a bad result given we had lost our last 2 and played most of the 2nd half with 10 men. We must follow it up though with 3 points in front of the cameras at Sutton as Daggers won again last night and we're down to 4th.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Many thanks Boz for comprehensive match report.
How did Lee Vaughan perform in his defensive duties last night? From previous match report I recall it being mentioned that he had lost a bit of confidence.
Did Jeff Hughes play a more advanced midfield role (before advancing to an early bath) with Lois Maynard as the holding midfield ? Sounded on the radio listening to a commentary coming and going that we had a lot more control last night and played football on the deck with more pace ?
Whilst we can't be pleased with too many creditable away draws it sounds that the boys put in immense effort last night and were unfortunate not to pick up all the points and as said it does steady the ship.
As for Stephenson what impresses me is he is not just one of these head down types with loads of pace and no vision. Looks tomhave much more to his game and seems a real prospect.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brightonian, will try to address the points you raise.

Vaughan had a steady game, he did put one great cross in, but didn't go forward as much as usual, even before Hughes went off. Surprising in a way, as their main threat came down the other flank.
The midfield trio were fluid, so while Maynard stayed back a lot of the time, there were occasions when one of Hughes/Jennings would sit back to cover for Lois going forward.
First half we were well on top and playing good football, a mix of on the deck and some good balls into the box. Stephenson certainly played a part in this and was involved both in running with the ball around their area and aerially. Think he and Cook tired a little second half, but hope he'd keep starting to build up some confidence. Think we gave the ball away too readily at times when down to ten men.

The issue for Brabin now is that he cannot re-create that set-up with the current squad, while Hughes is banned and Connor Jennings injured. Harris/Kirby aren't really capable of playing the Hughes role in midfield. So unless we recruit someone similar, Saturday will need a change in formation or the dreaded square pegs/round holes.

Player
Manager
John King
I largely agree with Boz's excellent summary. I was delighted with the performance last night, both for the quality of the football we played in the first half and the way we battled and intelligently combined defence and attack when we went down to ten men. With a full compliment on the pitch we battered a mediocre York side and would have won the game had it not been for the red card. Some of the football in the first period was very good indeed, with sharp, one-touch passing and good movement off the ball. As Boz says, Jeff Hughes and Darren Stephenson were instrumental in the display, the former with his creativity in the middle of the pitch, the latter with his pace and movement. Stephenson looked quick enough to me, certainly our fastest player, but his football brain impressed me most. He has good feet, trickery, an ability to link the play and awareness of what is around him. He also tracked back well and helped out Ridehalgh when necessary. He looks a much better prospect to me than Adam Mekki.

In the first period we completely controlled the game, other than a five to ten minute spell when York's pacy right winger caused Ridehalgh some problems. We created numerous chances and got into good areas on many occasions but, as Boz says, the failure once again to make our superiority count in the scoreline was a concern. Both Cook and Norwood look short of confidence at the moment, but I still think the tactical set-up hinders us up front. It was noticeable yesterday that when Cook won headers in the eighteen yard box the other two front players were too far away from him to capitalise, and in general I think Stephenson and Norwood spent too long outside the box, not least because of their willingness to track back and defend.

The second period started in a similar fashion up until the red card incident. Much of the trouble was caused by the antics of Richard Brodie and a couple of his colleagues: as early as the tenth minute Brodie made a blatant dive looking for a penalty to the fury of the Rovers fans and his 'performance' continued in a similar fashion, a succession of dives, niggles and back-chatting to the referee and opposition players. The officials fell for much of this gamesmanship and as a result the match became progressively heated, resulting in the sending-off. I could not see whether the red card was deserved, but Brodie went down as if he had been pole-axed.

After Hughes' dismissal the game inevitably became more stretched and York had more of the possession. However, Rovers continued to carry the greater attacking threat, Norwood having our best chance against the crossbar, whereas York huffed and puffed without testing Davies. Over the ninety minutes we certainly deserved three points.

The most positive aspect of the night was the unity of the supporters, players - and yes, the manager - in the face of the incompetence of the officials and the cynicism of the opposition. There was a togetherness between players and fans last night which has not been in evidence much in the last couple of years.

As Boz comments, the loss of Hughes and Jennings restricts our ability to play the same way in the weeks ahead, which is a real pity. However, we now have the threat of Stephenson's pace and movement up front and if we come close to matching the quality of last night's performance against Sutton and Woking we will pick up six points.

Man of the match, Darren Stephenson.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC, that sounds a lot more positive and I hope they can carry that into the games ahead. Can you elaborate on the unity between players and fans? Was their a pivotal moment between the two sets or was it just general feeling?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The worry for me is we have now scored 12 goals in 10 games this season and im not sure brabin has learnt his lessons from last season

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks RLC, that sounds a lot more positive and I hope they can carry that into the games ahead. Can you elaborate on the unity between players and fans? Was their a pivotal moment between the two sets or was it just general feeling?

More of a general feeling that developed in response to Brodie's cheating and the actions of the three officials, who were utterly useless. They should not be involved in professional football on their display last night.

The Rovers players and fans knew they were up against it and there was a backs-to-the-wall mentality after the red card. A lot more vocal encouragement from the SWA than there has been recently and, contrary to what Boz says, a lot of the players plus Garnett came over and acknowledged the support of the fans after the game.

A sharp contrast to the 4-3 win at Barrow last season when, despite the circumstances, the players barely even acknowledged the fans were present.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I stayed for over a minute after the final whistle. If some of the players/Garnett came down to the away end after that and acknowledged the support closer up then credit to them. I'd have stuck around for a few more minutes if had known they'd do that!

I agree with RLC that the siege mentality as a result of being up against some dismal match officials as well as York certainly built up a rapport between players, all of whom battled hard, and the travelling support.

What bigmart says about Brabin not learning lessons has some merit in relation to the Southport/Guiseley games, but less so here. There is a problem with Norwood and Cook not being in the best of form, which coupled with a lack of goals from elsewhere in the team is a concern. However, I don't think GB should have it held against him that a positive attacking line-up was unable to convert that superiority into the win we deserved.