• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Woking v Rovers

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. I would also be inclined not to extend GFT's stay. He is skilful and shows the sort of good touches that you would expect from a guy of his experience but is he really fit enough or mobile enough for this league? Admittedly I only see highlights but I just wonder whether he drifts in and out of games? I see this in some of the 'marquee' signings made by local clubs down here in Oz. Big reputation but often age and fitness levels count against them making the mark on games we would expect. There are exceptions. Del Piero did a great job down here but he was a very dedicated and committed trainer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On GTF, he's only got a contract until the end of the year and his aim seems to have been putting himself in the shop window hoping to attract a move elsewhere. Whether any other club will snap him up after what he's done for us is arguable. It is noteable that he does seem to have been involved in creating more chances for us, for example, the penalty against Guiseley was a result of his ball for Norwood to run onto.

Younger players haven't had much of a look-in under Brabin and more generally, he seems reluctant to make full use of his subs. Askew, a young winger was on the bench against Barrow and didn't get any game-time, even when the rest were ineffective. He could have recalled Kirby and used the Tomlinson loan money to strengthen where it was more needed. Gumbs is a promising central defender, but GBs already got a stock-pile of those. Jago seems a bit lightweight and Duggan, who was on the edge of the first team under Edwards, doesn't seem to have progressed much since, while Omotola shows promise and is pacey, something we lack. I'd agree that an injection of youthful energy into the side would do us no harm, even giving some of the younger squad members like Margetts game time could help.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I'm not usually one to call for a manager's head so early into a contract, but you have to question Brabbin's ability to manage a team what should arguably be up there with the best squads in the league. I'm not saying that we could attract the likes of Pep or Jose, but with Palios' connections and reputation through the FA surely he'd be able to get in a wise head. I have noticed that Terry Butcher is available after a not so promising start to his Newport season and also Peter Taylor is available and has considerable experience...someone with their ilk would only be a benefit I feel.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm not usually one to call for a manager's head so early into a contract, but you have to question Brabbin's ability to manage a team what should arguably be up there with the best squads in the league. I'm not saying that we could attract the likes of Pep or Jose, but with Palios' connections and reputation through the FA surely he'd be able to get in a wise head. I have noticed that Terry Butcher is available after a not so promising start to his Newport season and also Peter Taylor is available and has considerable experience...someone with their ilk would only be a benefit I feel.
In theory, you are right, Colin. But remember we all thought that about Micky Adams. Appointing the right managers is a very difficult call. My view is that even if GB goes now, it's still unlikely we will get promoted this season. It may be best to let things settle for a while.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
In theory, you are right, Colin. But remember we all thought that about Micky Adams. Appointing the right managers is a very difficult call. My view is that even if GB goes now, it's still unlikely we will get promoted this season. It may be best to let things settle for a while.
If you look at the table, we aren't in the worst position and only 6th points off a play off spot with half the season left. I am a realist and acknowledge that we can't go from being humped by Woking to beating every team every week. I just think that Brabin has got it wrong so far, and can not see him being what we need. I was shocked he got the job in the first place as I though there would be at least one proven old head who would relish the opportunity to return us back to former glories, with a chairman being behind the club 100% and in a league we were expected to do well in. I'm sorry but for me, Brabin is not the man to take us forward and I would rather look elsewhere rather than accepting the current one step forward two steps back approach.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a tough call re Brabin,stick or twist? I read that in order to make the play-offs, assuming same points required as last season, we'd have to win 2/3 of our remaining fixtures, which is a tall order, whoever is in charge. If Brabin were to ditch the old lags who've done it before philosophy for a more flexible policy on team selection, including some younger players and a more balanced squad, then I'dbe inclined to give him the rest of the season to see if he can get us back on the right track. Same old, same old won't cut it any more.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is difficult to know how we should act with regard to GB, but past experience tells us that Palios will stand by him until the end of the season. We are not going to go down and to sack another manager after just a few months in charge would be a major admission of failure for MP, even setting aside the difficulty of replacing him.

Despite what I said on Tuesday, perhaps a bit of stability will do us some good.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we have to be honest and say we aren't going to make the play-offs this season. I can't see Palios making any changes. Apart from the obvious failures this season we are probably just as guilty as the club at panicking and wanting immediate changes.

We probably won't get anyone better than GB at this level and I do agree with RLC that stability is key. If we accept this season as a write off lets just hope we see improvement next season and the decision to keep him will be a good one.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Brabin stick or twist - what a dilemma!! Some wise words out there ref realism, first year and let things settle. I was probably guilty of over optimism given the budget and the result away at Cheltenham. I have now lowered those expectations and can go along with the view about not panicking over GB and letting things settle. Although what does settle mean - presumably stay were we are'ish - BUT, without any more wobbles or fears for drifting further down the table - need to prevent any major slide in gates. As a minimum we need to establish a firm base for next season and look like "we" know what we are doing - if not the message sent out there will be one of turmoil and some potential soft points to be had.