• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Woking v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On Tuesday Rovers travel to the Kingfield Stadium to take on Woking in what is effectively a game in hand, with the majority of our rivals not playing.

When we met on the opening day Woking appeared one of the better sides at this level. However, since losing their two best players, Rendell and Yakubu, to season-long injury they have struggled and apparently have financial problems as well. They had been on a wretched run prior to victory at Chester on Saturday, a result which could be a positive or negative for Rovers depending on your perspective. They have strengthened recently with the signing of striker Joe Quigley on loan from Bournemouth. Quigley scored for Wrexham against us last month and appeared to be a handful.

In normal circumstances a point from this fixture would be acceptable, but with Rovers playing catch-up we badly need the three points. With none of the other top half sides playing with the exception of Lincoln, this is certainly a great opportunity to make up lost ground.

I would imagine we will start with the same team that played on Saturday, save for Hogan replacing the injured Riley at centre back and Maynard returning at right back.

With another long trip to come next Saturday I would estimate a Rovers turnout of 150-200, and it would be good to get first hand reports from any of the Southern exiles who are attending.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A point at the very minimum is essential to try and build up a bit of momentum. Woking's win at Chester was both unexpected and impressive given Chester's form of late had been decent and Woking, as RLC states, were on a poor run.

Even so, we must look to win this sort of game if we still have realistic promotion ambitions. Like RLC I expect very little changes to the side unless enforced. There is an argument for possibly bringing Sutton in at RB, Hogan in for Riley, and putting Maynard in the middle to give us an added goal threat in place of Jenno, who I felt was poor on Saturday.

I also think the jury is still out on GTFs contribution and you could consider playing Maynard instead, just behind Mangan and slightly to the right.

However as stated I can't see GB making any changes apart from any enforced. After all, we did win on Saturday (just about and played well for most of the game overall).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this is going to be a tricky midweek fixture. If we play with the same attitude as Saturday and the lads are positive there is no reason why we can't win. We really need to go on a decent run to catch up with the chasing pack. A win would see us jump up to 9th, 10 points behind leaders Cheltenham and 3 points behind 6th. Lose and Chester might overtake us depending on their result on Tues against Dover. I think this highlights how poor we've been in recent weeks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree this won't be straightforward, with Woking having a good win at the weekend, but we need to push on.

Hogan-McNulty is probably our best central defensive pairing. Unless Mekki is injured or Brabin decides to rest Mangan, who hasn't been at his best lately, an otherwise unchanged line-up makes sense.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I am feeling optimistic that we will push on after the win and get at least a point but would not be at all surprised if we pick up the three points. Looking forward to the game and the first time visit to Woking.

The games I have watched this year we have either been excellent winning on the road or very lethargic and disappointing with not much in between. However have never seen us outclassed, so I hope we will have enough quality to win this one. My only concern is we don't have much pace through the central core of the team and do best when we play football on the deck and step up the tempo. Sounded reading your posts from the Guisley game that we managed to build up a head of steam in the second half and were willing to up the work rate and compete which is so necessary in this league, so let's hope we continue in this vein!

Generally I support Gary Brabin but if things are not going so well or we need to tighten and close out a game he is willing to make tactical substitutions and change formation as this is an area there could be some improvement.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd like to have gone but work prevents me. To follow on from Brightonian, this is likely to be either a good win or a miserable defeat. I think with the feel-good factor from Saturday, our nearly complete squad and a bit of luck we could get a 2-0 win. If Mangan and GTF can score, then so much the better.

drwhoman

I too am hoping for a win but I would just pick up on a point someone (sparky?) made about the age of the team. I appreciate that the squad that was put together was aimed at getting us out of the National League asap and thus was composed of guys with a proven track record at this level. I also acknowledge that one reason we are in the National League is because Johnson was parsimonious in his later ownership days and hence we were signing any number of unproven youngsters. However, those points made, I really wonder whether the squad would benefit from a little more youth at least on the bench? The midfield in particular, which is key, is currently populated by two thirty somethings and Harris is not far away. Is this view valid?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I too am hoping for a win but I would just pick up on a point someone (sparky?) made about the age of the team. I appreciate that the squad that was put together was aimed at getting us out of the National League asap and thus was composed of guys with a proven track record at this level. I also acknowledge that one reason we are in the National League is because Johnson was parsimonious in his later ownership days and hence we were signing any number of unproven youngsters. However, those points made, I really wonder whether the squad would benefit from a little more youth at least on the bench? The midfield in particular, which is key, is currently populated by two thirty somethings and Harris is not far away. Is this view valid?
I can't be bothered to do the maths, but I think we have the oldest squad for years, if not ever. We have shipped out almost all our youngsters on loan and are relying heavily on experience. GTF in the number 10 role makes the midfield average age worse, but when fit you have youngsters like Mekki, Dawson or Tomlinson on the wings. Up front, Margetts and Norwood are both young, while Mangan is still in his twenties. But yes, we really are missing Max Power's youthful energy in midfield. I wonder if playing Lois there would make a difference. I would expect that's his best position in the long term.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's disappointing that the younger home grown players are nowhere near the first team. Whether that is because they are not good enough or don't fit in with Brabin's tactics and approach, it is hard to say.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Two down at half time. Simply not good enough.

Sounds like we dominated for the first half an hour, again failed to score, Woking lump one ball in the box and we are a goal down. Same story, different game. Defending for both goals sounded shambolic and we are toothless in the eighteen yard box.

Unacceptable.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3 goals to win it. Nah, not gonna happen. Sadly we are too inconsistent to achieve anything this season.

Had a great chance early on. One on one with the keeper, sadly it was Jennings on the end of it and the rest was history.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Saturday is half way we don't look like we will go up, think time is up for Brabin we need a change and quick

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3-0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enough is enough. Something has to give. #CBS!!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Enough is enough.......Brabin is not the answer, he has to go and go now. He brings McNulty in to solidify (literally)the defence but now they look worse than ever. Brabin just hasn't got a clue. Our club deserves better than this. Act now Palios before it's too late.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On the flip side, Andy Doyle is fairly happy though and believes we have a chance at the last play off spot. On a different world that man.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4-0. Lets all do the conga!