• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Wimbledon v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The MM supporters on here will point to the fact we couldn't beat one of the worst current form sides in the division
Yes, that is certainly true.

I think Mellon's career win percentage demonstrates that he does not need to be a touchline cheerleader.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I thought we played the better, more imaginative football today, but a familiar lack of ruthlessness in the final third meant we did not capitalise on the long periods when we were on top. The midfield interplay was often good to watch and confidence was clearly fairly high after a couple of recent victories. However, considering how poor they were, I thought Wimbledon were given too many opportunities from relatively little pressure, with Hewelt forced to make an excellent save just prior to their opening goal.

Hendry and Turner-Cooke impressed again in midfield and I thought Hemmings looked sharp and produced some clever touches. Davies was at least partly culpable for the goal we conceded, but was otherwise excellent defensively. It was a great finish from Taylor, who interestingly now seems to be ahead of both Burton and Mumbongo in the pecking order. It was also another assist for Hawkes, but I still don't think he is as much of a goal threat when played centrally. There were a couple of moments of quality from Hoti, including an excellent surging run late in the game, and it will be interesting to see whether we keep him beyond the end of the season.

I thought we were the better of the two teams today. However, football is ultimately a results business, and it is frustrating that we failed to beat a side that had lost six of its last seven home games, and has only won one of its last eighteen matches.

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding Hemmings, I think his goal threat has simply evaporated, probably due to age. He is still good technically, but just does not seem to have any sharpness or desire around the eighteen yard box.

I don't think he is a League One player at all in his current state, and it is telling that Burton refused to offer him a long contract, which is why he ended up here.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Perhaps the best use of Hemmings if he stays would be in an attacking midfield/no 10 type role rather than striker. He does still pick out some decent passes to team mates in good positions, but maybe accept that he’s not going to be prolific and play with his remaining strengths.

Mumbongo seems to be at the bottom of the trio of squad strikers, not played for a few weeks now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I thought Hemmings did ok in build up play. His touch is decent and he’s good in possession. However in a team that doesn’t score many he’s judged on goals and it’s not been good enough this season.

Next season I can’t see either Saunders or Hemmings scoring too many but it’s probably the best we’ll have available given our resources. With back up from Taylor and Jolley.

Mumbongo and Burton will almost certainly be released and rightly so

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we are to accept that Hemmings no longer has a goal threat then we have to make sure we partner him with somone who does. It is no good putting him upfront with the likes of Saunders, Taylor, Burton, Mumbongo as it will just be a repeat of this season. Taylor looks promising but he's a young lad and although Saunders has been decent in recent weeks I don't think he has enough in his locker to score the goals we need. We will need a threat up front to finish teams like Wimbledon off, a proper poacher.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Put Andy Cook alongside Hemmings and goals would not be a problem, not a forlorn hope as pretty sure Hughes would dump him if they go up.

People can't hide behind this opinion myth, stating Hemmings is lazy is as valid as Crouch was too short and McNulty was too lightweight. He has been ineffective for debatable reasons but has run his legs to fatigue. Can anyone name another forward who played every minute of the first half of the season, his legs were completely gone in the last 20 and he still broke up attacks in his own third.
I would conclude on his season that he is the best crosser and now in recent weeks the best passer of the ball at the club. The trouble is the only viable target he has is himself.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We’ve got more chance of signing Sue Cook than Andy Cook!

he’s out of contract so if Bradford don’t go up he’ll have some very good offers. Highly likely Wrexham may be interested as being 32 in the autumn, a two year contract on mega money could set cookie up for retirement and it’d a be a great signing for them being the current league two top scorer. It would be sadly ironic if cookie and mullin fired Wrexham to the league two title next season

Player
Manager
John King
We need to sign as a least a couple of strikers in the summer, and at least one of them should carry more of a goalscoring threat than Hemmings and Saunders. Whether we have the resources or recruitment strategy to bring in those players is debatable of course.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We need to sign as a least a couple of strikers in the summer, and at least one of them should carry more of a goalscoring threat than Hemmings and Saunders. Whether we have the resources or recruitment strategy to bring in those players is debatable of course.
Hemmings Saunders and Jolley are already under contract for next season and i think Taylor will get a new contract with Mumbongo and Burton released. Unless we can offload Hemmings then we probably will only sign 1 centre forward though could sign someone who can also play out wide

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As an aside to yesterday's game, Turnbull gets a lot of stick for his demeanour, but it was noticeable that he was one of the first senior players to congratulate Taylor after his goal and seemed genuinely delighted for him.
Yes and I don’t agree with the comments that Hemmings is lazy. Lack of confidence maybe but he’s trying his best.

Not comparable but people used to say Matt le Tissier was lazy and a lot of was just his demeanour and physique.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Slightly off topic but there's a good chance the Northampton game will be on tv.

Player
Manager
John King
Slightly off topic but there's a good chance the Northampton game will be on tv.
Our home record is still reasonable and we are still pretty sound defensively, so I don't think it is a gimme that we will lose next week. It makes the final game more interesting if nothing else.

It would be particularly interesting if the new manager was looking on from the stand.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve only just realised it’s on bank holiday Monday and not on the Saturday. 12:30 kick off

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes and I don’t agree with the comments that Hemmings is lazy. Lack of confidence maybe but he’s trying his best.

Not comparable but people used to say Matt le Tissier was lazy and a lot of was just his demeanour and physique.
Hemmings is marmite!