• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

When doe the transfer window close?

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

12:00am mate defo. Come on Little thats all im saying

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
it doesn't matter.little ain't gunna sign anyone anyway! borin' borin' little :(

You're right there mate

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
yer thatll be it now for signings.

If we have money to spend on players why have we just loaned players?

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
bolton_hater said:

exactly right BH! our club is a joke and it's sad to say it!

Well, hang on a minute! Let's think this through. Week after week people come on these boards and moan about Brian Little's tactics, he's too defensive, etc... But then, simply because we now have a transfer window we expect there to be lots of signings made.

You need to make your mind up where you think our problems lie. Is our problem that BL is tactically inept? Or is it that we don't have quality players? I would argue that it's tactically we have the problem. We've proved that our back line can keep clean sheets (we haven't conceded in our last 4 games) and we've proved we can bang them in on occasion at the other end (4 against Oldham, 4 against Yeovil). I think we have enough quality in our side to perform, the problem is that BL doesn't know how best to use that quality.

If we had made a load of expensive signings during the transfer window, I would be worried about BL's ability to get the best out of the new players.

As you can probably tell, I'm not too bothered about having not made any permanent signings, I would have liked us to sign Francis, but that wasn't even an option. I stand by my conviction that it's BL's tactics and NOT the quality of our players that is the problem.

Oh, and at least we managed to keep hold of Robbo. \:D/

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I would say it's a bit of both. BL hasn't got a clue about entertaining attacking football, which as Gray rightly points out we have done before (occasionally) and I'd argue we are best when we have a go.

On the other hand, we don't have a decent winger who gte at a full back and play good balls for Grrenacre, Facey and co. which I feel would improve our options no end. Aiston is not bad but on the other wing there's Robbo - and we are murdering his career playing him as a winger!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I completely agree Coop. Robbo shouldn't be were he is and his career is being murdered. And the fact that we managed to hold onto him is a blessing because the way things are at them moment it could've been a very easy decision.

I think it's about 85% of a problem tactically and 15% of a problem with squad. We do have a pretty good bunch at the moment but there needs to be more motivation IMHO.

Player
Morrisey
I think that at his youthful age we could get tramaco playing on the wing!

Francis aint a problem I feel as Raven is here now! It would be nice to keep him but he is covered for.

I think that us not cenceeding has done no good for us! If we conceed a goalo we tend to get motivated and play better football. Although 1 point is better than none!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think its tactically where the problem lies... I'm sure it was against Yeovil at home where Aiston was played on the right wing and Davies on the left and it worked a treat with both players setting up goals. If Little played 4-4-2 with those two players on the wings I don't think we'd have a problem scoring against any team in this division... then if he wants to tighten it a little to start with for away games he can... but he needs to know when to introduce players that can win the game for us in away matches.

if i was in brian's shoes i would of LET ROBERTS GO! lets face it he's gunna leave in the summer anyway(and for nothin').the fella hasn't had the best of season's this season and that is 50% down to brian little playin' him out of position!however i feel with brian's persistance to play ian goodison and the ready made replacement of carl tremarco i think it would of been good business to get 50grand for robbo,and also save on his £1,500-£1,800 a week wages!

But what does dozy brian do? he goes and sells our potentially best up and coming finisher to rochdale for £25,000 + £15,000 in instalments.and that guy is gunna bang the goals in for fun!little you've made a mistake(yet again)!also if daggers is worth £40,000 to the club then what is harrison worth(a tenner?) cos' he is a no mark and i'd rather play daggers in midfield than have harrison in there!

Little you have certainly lost the plot,i tried to tell you earlier in the season but you didn't bother to listen and now you're makin a fool of yourself,and you're takin OUR club down with you!

LITTLE OUT! :evil: (i'm sorry guy's and girls but i have to get it off my chest!)

Joe_TRFC said:
I think its tactically where the problem lies... I'm sure it was against Yeovil at home where Aiston was played on the right wing and Davies on the left and it worked a treat with both players setting up goals. If Little played 4-4-2 with those two players on the wings I don't think we'd have a problem scoring against any team in this division... then if he wants to tighten it a little to start with for away games he can... but he needs to know when to introduce players that can win the game for us in away matches.

am sorry joe but little can only get his tactics right for 45mins of a game and even then he struggles! 10men rotherham nearly nicked a 3-3 draw cos' of little being tactically inept and earlier in the season swansea could of won 3-2 had thier defender kept his cool!the player to introduce on away games for the last 20mins to unlock the defence was THEO but what did little do(he never gave the lad a chance)!

DixieDean

bolton_hater said:

money to spend on players will mean wages to spend. Loaning players costs wages too!

And what is the difference between loaning David Raven until the end of the season and signing Facey until the end of the season? Nothing. So why are loan players looked at differently?
Would you prefer us to sign someone on an 18 month contract only to find out he doesnt quite fit our style?

Let's face it, Little's signings have been hit (greenacre, facey) and miss (summerbee, inoura, beresford, wilson) so i'd rather he didnt bring too many permanent players in on long contracts.

So, assuming he is only every going to give people short term deals I don't see how signing a loanee is any different from signing a player on a permanent, when more often than not that permanent contract is no longer than 1 season anyway...

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
if i was in brian's shoes i would of LET ROBERTS GO! lets face it he's gunna leave in the summer anyway(and for nothin').the fella hasn't had the best of season's this season and that is 50% down to brian little playin' him out of position!

Letting Roberts go would have been a huge mistake. A player of his quality is not replaceable, certainly not without spending a lot of money.

He's under contract for another six months, I'd say get the most out of him for those six months. Perhaps then he'll have to leave as we won't be able to afford him, we all hope that won't be the case but as TRFC fans we've long had to accept that our best players will leave.

Six months down the line Tremarco will be six months more experienced and perhaps ready to make the step up.

Seriously, you think he should have gone? Would you really rather have six months of Goodison passing to the opposition instead of Gareth's tenacious running, superb blocking and tackling, quick overlaps, deadly free-kicks... okay so maybe you're of the Brian Little school of non-thought, but REALLY you'd rather have seen him go? You have got to be joking.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
if i was in brian's shoes i would of LET ROBERTS GO! lets face it he's gunna leave in the summer anyway(and for nothin').the fella hasn't had the best of season's this season and that is 50% down to brian little playin' him out of position!

Letting Roberts go would have been a huge mistake. A player of his quality is not replaceable, certainly not without spending a lot of money.

He's under contract for another six months, I'd say get the most out of him for those six months. Perhaps then he'll have to leave as we won't be able to afford him, we all hope that won't be the case but as TRFC fans we've long had to accept that our best players will leave.

Six months down the line Tremarco will be six months more experienced and perhaps ready to make the step up.

Seriously, you think he should have gone? Would you really rather have six months of Goodison passing to the opposition instead of Gareth's tenacious running, superb blocking and tackling, quick overlaps, deadly free-kicks... okay so maybe you're of the Brian Little school of non-thought, but REALLY you'd rather have seen him go? You have got to be joking.

i ask why would it of been a huge mistake?you're reasoning above is just a negative way of thinking!he is gunna leave eventually and the guy has had a poor season!so why not get 50grand instead of nothin' and save his wages each week.let's face it anyway with little in charge roberts will not be played at left back.so i think we will all have to get used to goodi at left back at some point!also with roberts stayin' that doesn't give tremarco an oppurtunity to play and gain experience!so in 6 months time tremarco will be 6 months older but will not have 6 months more experience!oh' and how many great free kicks has roberts scored(i can only remember 2)so we wouldn't of missed much!don't get me wrong i really like gareth and a few seasons ago he was my best player,but over recent seasons i've got so used to losing our better players that i was resigned to gareth going!but i didn't expect little to get rid of daggers and that has annoyed me!if little played him a bit more often chris would not of wanted to leave,and also he is worth more than the £300,000 forest paid for grant holt!imo of course!

nbdh i am certainly not in the BL school of thought,if i was manager of tranmere we would certainly be in the championship and that's not an exaggeration.i would be attracting gates of near 12,000 every week and roy keane would be captain! little's hoping to hang onto 5,000 gates and is hoping to take us to league two.and he's also wishing to give harrison the armband!notice the difference? :D

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
nbdh i am certainly not in the BL school of thought,if i was manager of tranmere we would certainly be in the championship and that's not an exaggeration.i would be attracting gates of near 12,000 every week and roy keane would be captain! little's hoping to hang onto 5,000 gates and is hoping to take us to league two.and he's also wishing to give harrison the armband!notice the difference? :D

Someone's been at the funny cookie jar. Can I ask you honestly, Celtic could just about afford Roy Keane, so apart from Lorainne Rogers winning the Euromillions Lottery this week at it's highest jackpot, How the hell do you think you could persuade him to join Rovers. NBDH was not being negative. i think honest is the word you're looking for. And when was the last time there were 12000 at a home game :?: :?: :?:

nomur said:
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:

Someone's been at the funny cookie jar. Can I ask you honestly, Celtic could just about afford Roy Keane, so apart from Lorainne Rogers winning the Euromillions Lottery this week at it's highest jackpot, How the hell do you think you could persuade him to join Rovers. NBDH was not being negative. i think honest is the word you're looking for. And when was the last time there were 12000 at a home game :?: :?: :?:

nomur,it might be that i've eaten a funny cookie but let me tell you that i was trying to highlight the lack of ambition brian little has!ok so we can't afford roy keane but we can all have a dream!why was nbdh being honest?imo he was being 100% negative!so you're sayin that you would rather get nothing for a player when you could of got 50k?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
No mate I was saying that I'd rather not lose Robbo at all. It's not his fault he's had a bad season. Bad positioning is no reason to let a player go.

The problems we are having at the moment are down to tactics, as we've already talked about on other threads. I was agreeing with NBDH about not letting him go. I'm aware that we need money and we always have to sell good player as a sacrifice, but every now and again we should fight to keep someone we need, bad season or not. I honestly don't think Robbo will go in the summer (or maybe I'm just dreamin').

And lastly the cookie jar comment was meant to be a gag. Don't take offence to it. i'm the least offensive person on this forum and just disagreeing with one of your opinions, doesn't mean you're wrong, just means I think differently mate. Sorry.