• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Welling v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Never a sending off but am surprised at the decision. They should ban the other guy for cheating as it looked like he'd taken a Tyson right hook to the chin.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think we can really count the first couple of games, bit of a red herring really and in fact those first couple of results only helped to pile the pressure and expectation onto the team as I think many thought we were going to win every game.

We won three out of the first four games, but when you look at those games, we were hardly dominating. We struggled against Woking, Gateshead was a freak result, struggled to break down Braintree with a 0-0 draw and then another 1-0 against Halifax, not an easy game. Results were masking the medicore performances and we've not improved or gelled any more. I don't buy giving the team more time excuses now. OK, first few games, but not after eight games.

We have not played well this season, but we should not go too far with the negativity. We deserved to beat Gateshead and Halifax and worked hard against Woking. Whether or not we dominated those games we had it in us to get the result and most games at this level are not won by wide margins. There is no reason to think that the first few games were a 'red herring' and the poor results of the last four reflect our true ability: form goes up and down and we will found out how good we are after 46 matches.

However, I agree that the 'time to gel' line is BS, particularly when you consider that Wrexham and Cheltenham had just as much change in the summer but have been better than us.

Player
Liam Palmer
Bit of a farce the whole Sutton thing. So the powers-that-be agree that it wasn't a sending off. It can easily be argued that decision (the sending off) cost us the win, so it's all the more galling to have the beaks overturn it. At least we have Sutton available now for selection, although I have to say he was one of the poorer performing members of the team of Saturday and totally sold the jerseys for the first Kiddy goal.

The whole gelling thing is a bit weird - most squads change dramatically over the summer, mind you Wrexham and Chelts aren't exactly miles ahead of us, so maybe they are not 'gelling' that well either!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sutton isn't that great anyway in all honesty. Think I'd rather have Holmes, not that that helps at all :eek:

Player
Manager
John King
Sutton is not great on the ball but he is a much better defender than Holness. I am certainly glad Marcus won't be in the heart of the defence on Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
See that Richie Sutton's red card has been overturned. Pleasantly surprised, as thought they might have turned it down on the basis of some contact.
Like you, Boz, I'm surprised. I can't remember the last time we had a successful appeal. In fact, I can't recall when we last bothered to appeal. It's usually considered a waste of time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Welling player has been charged by the FA for feigning injury.

Nice to see.

drwhoman

Yes - he will get three matches if the charge is proven which will presumably be the case if Sutton was cleared. I saw the highlights of this match on Player. How far have Rovers fallen to play at grounds like that? The football was pretty ordinary as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Welling player has been charged by the FA for feigning injury.

Nice to see.
Now that makes a refreshing change. Shame it doesn't happen more often.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How far have Rovers fallen to play at grounds like that? The football was pretty ordinary as well.
Sad times indeed when you struggle to beat Welling United.

Player
Manager
John King
Now that makes a refreshing change. Shame it doesn't happen more often.

It was a landmark case apparently, the first time a player has been charged by the FA for feigning injury.