• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Vauxhall v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A totally one sided match where rovers who fielded a strong side in each half, grabbed 5 but hit the woodwork 4 times and ran out very comfortable winners.

Two trialist players. One a left back who looked solid admittedly against a poor Vauxhall side. The other a quick winger who hit the post and was involved in a couple of goals. Looked very good but as I say, against limited opposition. Dont know their names.

Other observations:

Cook - looked very ungainly and doesnt looked like a footballer. That said, he put both his penalties away and tapped home for his hat trick. He clearly has goalscoring ability but it remains to be seen how he'll hook up with Norwood. For me, a player like Cook needs service from wingers. Not sure any sort of 4-3-3 type set up would work but time will tell.

Maynard - looked very good in a central defensive role. Athletic and very good in the air. Maybe an option and good competition from McNulty & Ihikwe.

Stephenson - only played first half up front. Very impressive. Quick and strong.

Others - Kirby looked sharp and Connor Jennings did ok in the middle of midfield with namesake Steve.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report Sparky. Cook was good against Liverpool in a 4-4-2, linking up well with Connor Jennings, and I think he will prove a good signing. It may be that those two will be the most effective partnership and, as I said previously, I think we should use the system that best suits the front players rather than trying to shoehorn them into a 4-3-3, as seems to have been the case today.

I am glad Stephenson had a good game as he was quiet against Liverpool. It is interesting that Maynard did well at centre back, but does that just reflect the poor standard of the opposition ?

There is some more info on the trialists below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liandro_Martis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_McKeown

Martis came through the youth system at Feyenoord and was highly rated apparently.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes you have to take into account Vauxhalls who Palios admitted to me afterwards were very poor.

But Maynard didn't look out of place and was great in the air with a massive leap. He and Ihikwe looked a good partnership and good to have options.

Although only one game we should sign the winger up certainly. Lightning fast but good on the ball too. Left back worth another look possibly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Should we be surprised that Vauxhall were poor? Obviously well get much better workouts against Notlob and Blackpool.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes just a tad. They have had some decent sides in the past and are in a better league than Heswall and Lairds. Think they beat QPR when in this league. Maybe they fielded a weakened side or were not yet as fit as Rovers....Or are about fall from grace. But they used to be the next step up after the traditional Heswall/Lairds friendly openers. Agree better workouts on the horizon, as always during the build up to a state of readiness for the next campaign.