• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Oldham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Johnny Morrissey
It's eerily quiet on the forums, is there anybody there???

Come on, just under 5 days to go til the big KO, gotta be looking forward to it. It's been 4 weeks without any competitive football!!! How do we cope (friendlies apart of course :wink: )???

Should be a cracking game with a hot atmosphere, am sure Oldham fans will give Ronnie a nice warm round of applause for his great service there, and for us signing players they wanted to sign! Local derby games are always fiery as it is, so this just adds even more spice to the equation.

My team would be :

Ward
Stockdale Goodison McCready Sherriff
Shuker McAteer McLaren Ellison
Greenacre Taylor

As for predictions, wait for the new prediction league to start (coming very soon, eh Ian? :wink: ).

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I couldn't agree more SCoop, very quiet considering we've a tonne of stuff to talk about.

And Ian, will the chat room be open Saturday for pre and post match banter??

I would agree with the starting line up, even if Macca gets subbed second half. Mullin is a great player but he's yet to show his true ability. But I think Ronnie will leave the line up unchanged and put Macca on the bench.

Not sure about Sheriff being captain but we might get a surprise there.

I really can't wait. 2-1 to Rovers (Greenacre & Shuker, one each)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I really think Macca will benefit us most if is coming off the bench in the 2nd half and thats why i'd start with a centre midfield pairing of McLaren and Mullin. Looking forward to seeing the new signings for the first time on Saturday all being well! Hope they play like they did against Coventry because that sounded dead good!

=D> im looking forward to the game. i just hope we see some great attacking football, the sort this club was destined to play not the s**e of the last few years

im going to make the long trip down and i just know the whites arent going to let me down

the team looks strong and from what ive seen in the friendlies we def have started to gel well

my only concerns are robbie at right back, doesnt seem to be ready for the start of the season and certainly looks lacking in confidence when trying to get forward

but my biggest worry is ellison, ok i might get slated here i know he had a stormer against lairds!!!!! and he scored a goal against morecambe but for long periods in most of the games he has been anon. dont quite know if he is going to be the weakest link this season.

i know people are going to say give him a chance etc etc im just commenting on what i have seen so far

its a lot easier for people on this forum to say shuker this and sherriff that and its great to have good players to talk about again after so long.

but as a club we need to improve in all positions and not fall into the brian little trap of making do with mediocre performances by players who simply arent good enough (harrison & jennings).

come on the whites
=D> =D>

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
According to icWirral site, Oldham midfielder Richie Wellens will miss Saturday's game due to a bad hamstring injury suffered during their pre-season outing against Rochdale.

From reading up on the guy I know he's quite a presence in Oldham's midfield so it can't be a bad thing for us.

C'mon Super Whites!!

Player
Morrisey
AJSM do you not think that we have improved in all positions? I do.

2-0 (Greenacre and Taylor) and I think that we will play the same team as we did last saturday.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I think we have improved alot this seasoncompare the quality of players we had in certain postions last year and compare this year, I feel Stockdale will pull through, I feel hes lacking a bit of match practise and Ellison isa quality player, who I feel is a kind of player who doesnt seem keen on pre-season and just wants the proper season to start to see the true Kev Ellison but I might be wrong

Working nights Friday but will travel up from Southampton on the saturday morning :) can't miss what should be a lively game plus I'd think Oldham would bring a few supporter's with 'em so should be interesting all round.

Agree with SWA 2-0 to us but both scored by Greenacre......

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Johnny King is God

Making the trip up from the smoke on Saturday morning.

I just cant wait for the game - I am always over optimistic at the start of a new season. However this year it is with good reason.

I said time and time again that we lacked passion, and my prayers have been answered with Ronnie banging the drum. Fantastic.

Slightly embarassingly I have just bought a shirt from the club shop with Shuker on the back even though he hasnt played a competitive match.

To sum up:

2 x Experienced Keepers
Good defenders
Superb centre mid options
Excellent options on the flank
Greeanacre, Zola starting to shine, Taylor!

RONNIE MOORE as manager.

Is this a dream?

I'm not going to turn up to see Father ted back am I?

PLUS

I would LOVE it if we stuffed Oldham.
Some of the 'Wiping the floor with teams' Brian Little went on record on several occasions as saying we could not and would not try to do last season :eek:/
I sense Ronnie may see things a little differently on Saturday

tran-mere
tran-mere
tran-mere

ssooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh yes, looking forward to this game! It should be a cracking atmosphere with plenty of Oldham supporters coming to cheer Ronnie on! ;)

I'm predicting a win here. Shukes getting one with Greenacre another. I may also be slightly dazed before kick-off, so if you see me in Aldo's, mines a pint of the black stuff! :)

Nomur, the chatroom wil be open for those that cant make the game and I'll try and get a prediction league going..

Everyone get to Prenton Park and let's win the prestigious 'Real Football Roar' award! See you all at the game!

0,,10365~2957759,00.jpg

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've not seen any of the pre-season games. While I like some of the things that Ronnie has done so far, real wide players especially, it doesn't really seem like my team yet. No home-grown players likely to make the starting line-up(even Chelski have John Terry). It may be that only Greenacre/Zola and Goodison (#-o) from last season make the starting line-up. Plus the bench mark is last season we managed a 4-0 then, even if the scoreline rather flattering.

Just put £60 at 7-1 for us to get promoted couldn't put us down as champions even at 16-1 (haven't the balls) :wink: I hope i'm proved wrong though 8)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'm going to put a couple of bets on... thinking for Saturday...

Tranmere to beat Oldham 2-1 and Greenacre to score 1st.

Also thinking of putting a bet on Greenacre to be topscorer this season in League One... heard you can get 28-1 in Dave Plucks on that one.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Looking forward to the game saturday, I hope its the start to a succesful season and there's nothing like a win on the 1st game of the season in front of the Prenton Park faithful. I dont like putting bets on with Tranmere, when ever I do I seem to jinks us so im staying away from the bookies. I hope its a good gate, me mate said he rekons there is going to be around 11,000 that would be good considering that we had a **** average gate and hopefully our away attendences will push up as well, Fingers crossed.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Can't wait football's finally back. Confident of a good start. Hopefully a comfortable win.

Ward
Stockdale Sherriff McGready Tremarco
Shuker Mullin McAteer Ellison
Taylor Greenacre

subs: Achterberg, Harrison, Jennings, Zola, Goodison.

Still getting used to the new team so sorry if obvious ones have been missed out.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
McAteer will probably be used to come off the bench rather than to start. He'll be useful in that role for us this season - coming on to make a difference when the pace of the game has slowed down to a speed he can handle.

I'd have thought when fit the midfield pairing will be Mullin and McLaren.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
bolton_hater said:
Ward
Stockdale Sherriff McGready Tremarco
Shuker Mullin McAteer Ellison
Taylor Greenacre

BH I suspect that Goodison has done enough in pre-season to justify a place in the starting 11 and for this I think Tremarco may end up on the bench. But I could be completely wrong. The defence seems quite strong in any case.

Not long now! C'mon Super Whites!!!

Player
The Sherriff
I predict a 3-1 win for us. I can see us dominating the midfield as I have heard two of their first XI midfielders are unavailable and that Mullin and McClaren given 90 minutes together can really prove a solid central combo. To at last have 2 outright wingers will also be an advantage as for the first time since Mathias we will pin their full backs back which will make it harder for them to break us down.

Having missed the Coventry and Morecombe games I have only heard about the supposed stellar performances by Goodison but judging by the Lairds, Wolves and Vauxhall games I did see, McCready and especially Sheriff will easily cope with this level in defence so it is not an area I'm worrying about and one it seems we will be spoilt for choice this season.

The whites are going up =D>\\:D/

Edit: News I've just seen http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/5245010.stm

Looks like they'll have 3 new players available for tomorrow's game whom Ronnie can't have anticipated would be on the pitch beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.