• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Tranmere Rovers (2) v Mansfield Town (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tranmere Rovers (2) v Mansfield Town (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Straight from earning a hard-earned point at Gillingham, Rovers return to Prenton Park to face table-topping Mansfield Town. On paper this looks a tough call, but the Stags are not invincible, having lost at home last week to MK Dons and not so long ago at Walsall.

Rovers showed what they were capable of the last time the league leaders came here, when Stockport were routed. The trouble is that as well as beating the best, our side is also capable of losing to lesser sides like FGR.

I am sticking my neck out again and predicting a home win. This is dependent on (our) Nigel fielding his best available side with no experimentation. I am also assuming the crowd will be decent and the Prenton roar will yet again be our twelfth man.

My prediction is a 2-0 or 2-1 home win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very hard game, would be happy with a draw going for 1 1.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If we revert to our best eleven before Norris returned, but replace Saunders with him. I'd look to drag Walker after an hour and drop Jenno back then put Dennis into a proper 442.
Not only do we need to get Norris playing at full pelt we need to evaluate all the options alongside him. Jolley, Saunders and Taylor need looking at in that role asap.
Alongside a proper line leader we now have options, Saunders pace should lead to one on ones although you suspect he won't be clinical with them, Jolley has the skills to convert possession into clear chances, Dennis to sniff half chances and put them away. Taylor is still at pure potential. You wouldn't rule out Apter moving up front either, that is probably not worth the effort with him leaving..
Lots to evaluate and clearly Nigel likes to see match practice not just training sessions.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think our defence will be be under more pressure than we were v Stockport. Mansfield score plenty of goals although that said we were good value for a point at field mill earlier this season.

I’d like Merrie to be given another game. Davies will come back in if fit and it’ll be interesting if Morris or Hawkes is fit.

Could do with something from the game ahead of a massive task on Saturday in north Wales

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This will be my first match for a while. It promises to be a decent game against the table-toppers, whose attackers are in good form. They ended a poor record at PP with a comfortable win last season, but it was a good game at Field Mill earlier in the season, with Rovers getting a creditable draw. Reported that about 500 Stags tickets sold, so like BBTC expecting a reasonable turnout.

Very hard to know who was ill injured or out of favour from Nigel's remarks after the Gillingham game. Unless Walker is going to be fit enough to play both, think he'd be moe valuable in the Wrexham game. If Davies is better, he will play, but otherwise expecting a fairly similar line-up to the last match. Probably an away win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just anything but not a battering.
No need to be such a pessimist, AM. ;) This side knows how to look after itself. Even in the Dawes era, we rarely got a hammering. If we lose, it will probably be by a single goal, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I don’t think Nigel will experiment like at Swindon. We’ll have the best side available. They will all know what to do and will all be up for it. Contracts are at stake. The crowd will be buzzing. Just wish I could be there.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jennings and Saunders up front. Walker and Morris return. Hawkes on the bench along with Luke Norris.

No Merrie in the squad who just be injured. Yarney keeps his place so Davies not fit

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yarney did fairly well on Saturday but a test for him tonight against the pacey Akins and poacher Will Swann

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Seems quiet tonight and not just because the town paddock is closed

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There isn’t much midfield cover on the bench with Merrie, Lewis and James Norris not on the bench which looks a little unbalanced. Shame Davies isn’t back as Yarney may find the more subtle Stags attack quite testing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seems quiet tonight and not just because the town paddock is closed
Why is the Town Paddock closed? Fortunately the Beb Paddock where I sit is open. Turnout looks disappointing from a home perspective, reasonable turnout from the visitors who are already making a decent amount of noise.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Why is the Town Paddock closed? Fortunately the Beb Paddock where I sit is open. Turnout looks disappointing from a home perspective, reasonable turnout from the visitors who are already making a decent amount of noise.
Some sort of loose panel near the entrance so better safe than sorry

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Giant Aden Flint at the back a danger for the visitors from set pieces