• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4-0 Colchester

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Everyone was brilliant

the-end.jpg

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb. Another cluster of goals at home. These entertaining displays should see more people coming to watch Rovers. The goals are flying in.

Little flat in the first half I thought, and surprised to go in with a 1-0 lead. Second half, we were superb. Great movement, passing, vision, nice goals.. Lovely to see. United had no answer to it and collapsed after the second.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
BBC claim we had 0 shots on target, which makes the fact we scored 4 goals all the more impressive IMO.

I was very impressed with ABB today, and think he offers much more than Thompson. He's very direct and quick, but also showed some very neat touches and has a knack for wriggling his body in-between opposition players and the ball, winning a number of freekicks in the process. His defensive positioning is also a lot better than I thought it would be, and with Holmes being so solid I don't think it matters too much anyway.

New lad at the back looked a bit ropey at certain points in the first half, getting dragged out of position on a few occasions, but he's quick and good with the ball at his feet. Given a few games I think he'll be a neat addition.

Cassidy took his goals extremely well, while Zoum and Robbo continue to look very dangerous on the left. Gibson looks really solid. Palmers ball retention was excellent, Wallace needs to settle down a little bit, but possibly the biggest difference from last season to now (aside from the change in formation) is the extent to which those 2 lads are willing to receive the ball from the back 5. Makes a huge difference to our attacking transitions/shape.

Although it's been a fairly easy start to the season, I think we're onto a winner with this squad.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Great result

Good to see Cassidy getting among the goals and a trick will give him a massive boost of confidence. We took our time to get going but second half we looked like a club worthy of our top spot in the league.

It is good to see the goals flying in (down to Ronnie's "we can score more goals than you approach") and we keep our unbeaten at home since December 2011 record in tact.

The team today contained all of signings made by Ronnie over the transfer window and each played his part well in the second half. Just demonstrates Ronnies prowess in the market ;-)

SWA!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with most of the above, particularly the comments regarding ABB and the ball retention in midfield.

The second half today was a joy to watch, the best football Rovers have played for a long, long time. The performance was all the more impressive because Colchester are a strong side at this level, well organised with a number of good individuals (Wordsworth, Bond, Morrison) but they simply had no answer to our pace, skill and movement in the final third.

I think Wallace is actually not fully fit and looked inhibited in his performance today, which is a bit of a concern, but elsewhere there were several outstanding performances: I think Bell Baggie should actually be given joint man of the match with Cassidy for the positive impact he made.

I am not convinced by the new centre back who was beaten far too easily for pace by Sears in the first half and was wayward with some of his clearing headers. However, Gibson was excellent again, and I won't judge the new lad on one game.

The key difference between this side and those of previous seasons is the number of areas goals can come from: both strikers look to have what it takes to be prolific at this level, whereas in our last really good season in 2008-9 our top scoring striker scored eight goals. I think this squad is more talented than the one we had that season, and if we can stay clear of major injuries I am sure this will be an exciting season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Am I the only one who thought Golobart didn't look particularly slow/etc?

Was unnerved in the first half when he was pressing the ball about 20 yards in-front of the rest of the back 4, and he lost his balance on the turn vs Sears at one point (who, to his credit, is quite fast). But thought looked pretty sharp on the cover a couple of times. Was an up and down performance, but nothing to be too alarmed by considering the circumstances surrounding him slotting in to a makeshift partnership. His distribution and willingness to receive the ball was good. I quite liked him, think he'll be alright.

Player
Manager
John King
His distribution was pretty good, I'll give you that.

I won't judge him on one match, but it will be interesting to see who plays next Saturday when Ash will presumably be fit. Are we obliged to play Golobart as part of the loan deal ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Typical, I miss a 4 goaler for Rovers again.#-o

Sounds like a good performance, after a nervy start and great that Jake Cassidy has rediscovered his scoring form. Bell-Baggie didn't feature in the match reports I've read, so interesting that he made a positive impression on those posting here. Was surprised that Thompson didn't even make the bench though.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
The difference seems to be that as a team, we a playing with confidence for a change, not trying to walk the ball into the net, as we usually do..

Thats 10 points on the board, 40 more for safety, THEN we can look at promotion!!

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
it was a great performance and a great result.Tranmere played some marvelous football.they took a little while to get going and once the first goal went in they settled down and it was good to watch.once the 2nd one went in i think it knocked the stuffing out of Colchester and there was only going to be one winner.Jake Cassidy took his goals well and it was a great hat-trick he was given the man of the match from the sponsors but my man of the match has to be bell-baggie he was everywhere running up and down the wing he was like Stanley Matthews.well thats 10 points from the first 4 games and with this squad i reckon we will have a good season.

drwhoman

COLCHESTER

Yes sounds really good. I wish I could have been there. The trick will be whether we can hang on to the loanees and particularly Gibson, Palmer and Cassidy. I suppose that if we are doing well and the players in question are playing regularly and are happy then their clubs might be more inclined to leave them with us. We can but hope.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Was surprised that Thompson didn't even make the bench though.
He was given time off Boz due to the birth of his daughter that morning.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks, Ian. If it's his first child or difficulties, might explain why he's not been on the top of his game since joining Rovers.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Guess we need to remember this great start has been achieved with a bit of a patched up back 4!! Makes it even better!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It's early, I know, but how do people feel this squad compares to 2008/2009?

Player
Manager
John King
Famous last words, but I think this one is better.

We didn't have players in the middle of the quality of Robinson and Wallace in 2009, and the strikers we have now are potentially more prolific than Moore and Savage. I think we generally have more pace and better movement in this team with players like Bakayogo, Akpro, Baggie etc.

As ever with a small squad, injuries will probably determine just what we achieve this season. We also need to tie up the Palmer and Cassidy loans for a further six months as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is difficult to call.

Agree with RLC about the pace/movement of the side and the potentially more prolific strike-force and the quality of our midfield options. The 2008/9 squad were better defensively, more versatile and in Kay and Shotton more prolific goalscorers than our current midfield/defence can offer. Tho' if Zoum carries on his current scoring rate...:lol: