• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
What a win!!!! Can't believe we won that. And my predicted score too. We started well with Aiston and Tremarco doing well down the flanks and after only 4 minutes Tremarco got his 1st senior goal for Tranmere after good work by Aiston. Greenacre then had a couple of shots just go wide and we seemed to be crusing and looked like only one team would win. Although on 20 minutes what sounded like stupidity from Calvin Zola judging by the commenatry put us on the back foot. He turned his man and looked to have been tugged back and then he lunged into a tackle and was shown a straight red. We survived the first half fairly comfortably with 10 men as Huddersfield didnt take advantage of their possession.

Into the 2nd half and Huddersfield brought on Andy Booth for Abbott and were going with 3 upfront i think after earlier bringing on Taylor-Fletcher after Zola was sent off. We could only hold out for 3 minutes of the 2nd half as David Graham, Huddersfields on loan striker turned the ball home after some poor defending. After that it was mostly Huddersfield with Tranmere making counter attacks... although Danny Harrison nearly scored with a great effort that went just over. Brain Little decided to change thinks bringing on McAteer for Aiston and Facey for Tremarco and going 4-3-2 to give us more of an outlet. This worked as Facey was impressive making forward runs on the counter. Tranmere also brought Jennings on for O'leary after O'leary looked to have picked up a knock after a bad challenge that went unpunished. Tranmere were beginning to look dangerous on the counter with Facey and it was Facey who won it for Rovers in the 84th minute with a fine individual effort. Running from the half way line and shooting into the net. Tranmere needed to hold on and they did so despite Taylor-Fletcher and Smith missing great chances for Huddersfield.

All in all a great never say die performance from Tranmere who could so easily have collapsed after going down to 10 men so early in the game. Every player played their part tonight but if I was to give man of the match to one player it would be either Simon Francis or Danny Harrison who sounded like he never stopped battling. Although i'd like to stress that these choices for man of the match are by someone who could only listen to the game so don't all jump down my throat if the players I picked didnt deserve it. I'm made up and i'm off to have a few beers to celebrate!!! SWA!!! SWA!!!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
nomur said:
Considering they havn't beaten us at home in the last 4 visits, hopefully that's a good omen.

And I hope you're right Joe, maybe a game under the flood lights might set a different scene and we might get a couple of goals.

I'll go with 2-1 to Rovers (fingers crossed)

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

See my quote above. Did I or Did I not say 2-1 scoreline in our favour? I think I did. What a result!!! C'mon lads more of that please =D> =D> =D>

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
YES!!!!

WHAT A WIN!

Great performace we never gave up. Well done to Tremarco getting a goal hes been waiting for.

Facey scoring agaist his odl club after being booed by Town he certainly shut them up. The kop was rocking amazing celebrations when we scored our fans went crazy.

Zola is a tit, he should have been sent off no need to go in liek that hes wrecked it for himself he was doing well out there than does soething needless like that.

Overall, made up and a great win. SWA!

B

bwilliams

I aggree with everything bolton_hater just said

The main thing was, We never gave up!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

M

Matthew The Rover

Tranmere Rovers stretched their unbeaten run to nine league games with a stunning display against Huddersfield Town, who before this weekend had been in the top five since the third game of the season.

The second biggest attendance of the season turned out at Prenton Park as Huddersfield fans nearly filled the Cowshed but were left with a long journey home across the Pennines.

Brian Little made three changes from the team that drew 0-0 for a fourth consecutive time at Bradford, replacing Mark Rankine, Delroy Facey and Ian Goodison with Carl Tremarco, Calvin Zola and Sam Aiston as Rovers lined up 4-4-2 as opposed to the 5-3-2 at Bradford.

Rovers were the fastest team out of the blocks with Carl Tremarco causing Huddersfield all kinds of problems down the left wing with his persistence and pace.

On two minutes, the "Ginger-Winger" got his first chance of the game after winning the ball off Jon Worthington, the Town captain before slicing the ball well wide from the edge of the area.

However, less than two minutes later Tremarco's shooting was a little more accurate as Rovers grabbed their first goal for 388 minutes.

Dino Seremet's long and surprisingly accurate clearance was flicked on to Sam Aiston by Calvin Zola. Aiston, as only he can do, twisted and turned round the Huddersfield defence before sending in a low cross, intended for Chris Greenacre.

Rovers leading scorer left the ball (or missed it!) and it fell nicely for Carl Tremarco who kept his cool and finished the ball past former Manchester United goalkeeper Paul Rachubka to put Rovers 1-0 to the good.

Rovers continued to push forward as Huddersfield had to deal with wave after wave of Rovers attacks.

The next chance fell to Chris Greenacre, again after a Calvin Zola flick on. Rovers leading scorer turned but his shot ended wide of Rachubka's right hand post.

Another chance fell to Greenacre when Town cleared a corner as far as Tremarco just short of the half-way line. Tremarco headed the ball back into the danger zone where Greenacre picked the ball up but again shot wide.

On 19 minutes, Howard Webb waved away Rovers claims for a penalty after Gareth Roberts went down a bit too easily in the penalty area.

Roberts beat the offside flag and flew down the right-wing, passing two or three Huddersfield defenders, but after getting into the box he went down yet nothing was given.

Rovers luck didn't get any better on 21 minutes when Calvin Zola was sent off for what can only be described as a rash challenge.

Zola and Michael Collins both went after a 50-50 ball near the half-way line on Rovers left-wing and Collins just beat the tall number 9 to the ball. Zola however had already jumped in and Webb took no time at all in deciding to send the striker off.

Zola's two footed lunge did look a dirty challenge, but Zola is not a dirty player and I just wonder whether he was just beaten to the ball by Collins, not that it was a dirty challenge.

However, nothing could be done, Rovers had lost their most dangerous player and Huddersfield now had an extra man as they would attempt to get back into the game, with 69 minutes to score at least one goal.

Yet, it wasn't till the 34th minute that Huddersfield had their first shot, with former Poland U-21 striker Pawel Abbot hitting the side netting.

Minutes later, Huddersfield had another shot from substitute Gary Taylor-Fletcher, although Dino Seremet in the Rovers goal was once again untroubled.

Rovers had the last chance of the half from a Gareth Roberts free-kick on the edge of the area. Steven O'Leary was brought down on the left-hand side and Rovers trustworthy left-back decided to have a go but the ball once again went wide of Rachubka's right-hand post.

So the half finished with Huddersfield one man up but more importantly Rovers one goal up. Brian Little must have been delighted with his team's effort and I'm sure asked for more of the same second half.

However, within three minutes of the second half re-starting, Little's plan was out the door as The Terriers equalised with a scrappy goal.

Rovers failed to clear the ball and Gary Taylor-Fletcher headed across goal to find the un-marked David Graham who netted in front of the 1200 or so travelling Huddersfield fans to make the score 1-1.

However, Danny Harrison (goal machine) almost gave Rovers a one goal advantage again with a shot which skimmed the cross bar on 50 minutes after some brilliant play down the left which saw Danny skip inside two Huddersfield defenders.

On 55 minutes Dino Seremet caught a free kick which was hit straight at him by Number 19, Danny Smith.

Then, Brian made the most attacking substitutions of his life, changing the formation from 4-4-1 to 4-3-2 as he worked his magic.

Delroy Facey and Jason McAteer were brought on with great effect to replace Sam Aiston (who looked as if he could get sent off) and Carl Tremarco who got a standing ovation.

Brandon shot wide for Town whilst Greenacre and O'Leary both missed the target for Rovers as the game became end to end making it a very exciting final third.

Town defender Clarke then shot wide whilst Facey, who had started playing like a man on a mission against his former club also missed the target.

Now time for Rovers final substitution, as the hard working Steven O'Leary was replaced by Steven Jennings, who, to my delight, played in central midfield.

But it was Huddersfield's turn to produce the next shot on target as Dino Seremet pulled his best save for Rovers out of the bag.

Andy Booth headed the ball down into the ground and into the corner of the goal and it looked certain as if he'd score but a flying Dino Seremet pulled off a top class save as he kept the ball out and swung the momentum in Tranmere's favour.

It was now Rovers turn to take the lead, through none other than former Town player and substitute, Delroy Facey.

The striker ran on to a chip ball from Danny Harrison and ran at the Huddersfield defence who kept on backing off and backing off. Facey, after a few step overs took the ball towards the D and then let go with a powerful, low, accurate right-footed shot.

Rachubka had no chance as the ball went right into the left-hand corner sending Rover fans, players and coaches mental. I looked over towards some friends in the Kop and I can't remember seeing them so happy to see a Rovers goal since the play-offs.

The chant "we only need ten men" rang around Prenton Park as Rovers kept their nerve and held out for a 2-1 win despite some pressure from Town in the five minutes of injury time.

Rovers were fantastic and Brian Little's tactics were spot on. I can only congratulate him and hope he does the same in Kent next week (I'm not going all the way to Gillingham for a 0-0 draw!).

Jones' Man Of The Match: I have to give it to Ian Sharps. He was magnificent, again, along with Mike Jackson in the centre. Absolutely nothing crept past him as he won header after header and tackle after tackle. His form since his return from injury has been top-quality and if he and Jackson continue like this Rovers could be in with a shout of the play-offs come May.

Just one other mention, Andy, I've never seen you so happy when we've scored!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Jesus Matt, do you bring a note book to the games. Excellent report once again. Well done mate :D

M

Matthew The Rover

Thanks :D I just use my memory and get a few reminders off the official site.

Oh yea, btw, FANTASTIC WIN! Where are the Brian Little out people on Rearguard now :D SWA on the UP!

N

nard

huddersfield

MOM Sharps again, Zola's was 50/50 ball there lad came off worst, unlucky, drop ball at best. Ref was garbage all night, Jennings suprisingly useful. Little suprisingly positive 4 3 2 fair play to him. Outsung again at home, top of the kop seems emptier than usual. have some of the youngsters who came on board after 2000 grown up got jobs and used their new found wealth to cross the Mersey, hope not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh wow, what a great win that was. "We only need ten men". Classic stuff. First things first. Brian Little.

Now I do have my concerns about Brian. However, last night, he certainly surprised me. 442 from the start, which looked to be going great before Zola lost his head.

Even the substitutions were positive, and actually won us the game.
It was interesting to hear some of the comments from the stands and now makes me believe that Brian will always be fighting a losing battle with some people.

Once Zola had been sent off and they equalised, he was getting some abuse from certain sections of the crowd. "Little control your players". Harsh I thought after Zola's moment of madness. Little had done no wrong. No-one seemed to complain after the substitutions though. :roll:

I'll praise Brian if he does something positive and stick up for him as I thought he made all the right decisions last night.

Anyways onto the game.

We could have had a hatful in the first half, I'm sure of it. There was so much positivity and belief they way the lads started the game. Aiston was causing their fat little number 3 (Adams) all sorts of problems.

But what the hell was Zola thinking? The ball was going out for a throw in. I believe the player from behind was tugging his shirt, but really, he lost his head. It was crazy. Annoyingly, we were storming at that stage and I believe we would have scored at least another the way things were going.

It was no surprise that Huddersfield then gained control, but we managed to survive until half time.

I panicked when they finally scored after some shoddy defending. Where was the goal going to come from?

Brian however made some very good substitutions and we started to get back into the game. I didn't actually think Facey did a great deal until his goal. I thought when he came on, he's give us power and speed, but never really utilised it.

Did anyone else feel like we were always going to score though? Those Fri night games I tell ya!

Anyways, fantastic when we did score. Haven't enjoyed myself for quite some time after that goal.

Few little snippets.

- That referee was awful. F*ck off back to the premiership!
- Attendance from the home fans was poor. Quite disappointing.

I'm sure I've left a few things out, but that's all for now.

11th! On the up. SWA!!

Matthew The Rover said:
Thanks :D I just use my memory and get a few reminders off the official site.

Oh yea, btw, FANTASTIC WIN! Where are the Brian Little out people on Rearguard now :D SWA on the UP!

don't be silly matt.just because we won last night doesn't make little a good manager!we played well last night and deserved the 3pts.also little got his subs spot on.but i would'nt get carried away!!!

B

Banana Army

Correct me if im wrong but Matt, you called for his head a few times towards the end of that dire run.

M

Matthew The Rover

Banana Army said:
Correct me if im wrong but Matt, you called for his head a few times towards the end of that dire run.

I will correct you. I have never wanted Little out.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think most of us have called for his head... I've largely backed him but I must admit that after the Brentford game I thought it was time for him to go. I think he is hopefully going to start to prove us wrong having brought in some good young players even if they are only loans. Also we are up to 10th after todays games... although we are still 11pts off the play offs. Although looking at the next 10 or so games I can't really see where we should have too much trouble if we keep the passion and quality of play up. Home games especially are games we should win... all of them. Away games I wouldn't worry too much about either. Hopefully we can push on now and get a few more wins on the board than draws!!

J

Johnny King is God

Erm...Matthew - there are loads of examples but does this ring any bells?

Matthew The Rover
First Team

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bolton_hater wrote:
Ive been a fan of little i have given himn chance but now, we sit 20th and we got beat by brentford. 4-1!!

time to go little no more excuses, bye bye.

Ditto.

**** OFF LITTLE, **** OFF LITTLE

All I can say.

We were diabolical. I've never seen such a heartless, gutless, shameful performance.
Jackson was **** again yesterday. He was captain yesterday, but instead of commanding the team, he did **** all. His passing was disgraceful for a professional footballer, and he was at fault for the penalty (which should never have been). He left the ball which was never going to reach Wilson who then reacted slowly. It wasn't just once he did it though, it was double figures.
Little then brought off the best defender (Sharps) instead of either of the struggling Jackson and Goodison whilst for some reason he left the terrible Danny Harrison and Steven Jennings on the field.
Wilson was bollocks, another terrible signing by Little. What was he doing on that free-kick? The ball doesn't just go straight to you like a pin to a magnet.
Francis too was poor and on that performance I wouldn't extend his loan deal. He was too slow on the ball and often his distribution was terrible.

I feel very sorry for the likes of Zola, Rankine, Facey and Sharps. They played their hearts out for the whole game and all four played brilliantly but they just had to watch as the other seven players on the field made mistake after mistake after mistake. It was a disgrace. They looked like scoring everytime they got the ball. We were terrible.

Finally, I have never seen such an inept pair of officials. They were an utter disgrace. How their first three were goals I will never know, as the first was handball, second was a dive for the free-kick and third was a high-challange. Their flags barely moved all game. The F.A. MUST have a word.

When we lose on Tuesday, I will be protesting outside the ground.

LITTLE OUT.

Last edited by Matthew The Rover on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

M

Matthew The Rover

The shock I think you'll find is for you as if you look on Total Tranmere you will see the very next day I said I hadn't calmed down. Get your facts right

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
But looking at this Matt, you did use the words 'Little Out'. Correct? I'm not putting you down mate. I've thought he should go too :D

S

Seanyb

Re: huddersfield

nard said:
MOM Sharps again, Zola's was 50/50 ball there lad came off worst, unlucky, drop ball at best quote]

Seriously, are you mad!? I was ashamed to see one of our players dive into a challenge like that, it was disgraceful, and the referee was spot on to give him a straight red. I', suprised that lad never broke his leg!!!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I did feel he deseved to get sent off and I told him to get off the pitch ok he was going for the ball but danagerously and I feel he deserves to be banned. Anyway I prefar to see Facey and Greenacre up front together. Well made up we scored but then we scored 2 I was on cloud 9!! Wew needed that win!! I was made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.