• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-0 Southend

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Another 0-0 draw!!!!! We can't seem to buy a goal at the moment, but also our defence is pretty solid too. We seemed to lack a final ball for much of the first half by the sounds of it and then in the second half missed chances we maybe should have scored. Zola, Facey and Aiston all missing good chances in the second half as well as Francis heading wide. We had about 3 penalty appeals turned down in 3 minutes in second half too. Eastwood hit the bar for them and we changed to a 3-5-2 from a 4-3-3 in the second half to accomidate Aiston. We really need to start winning games again even though we are now 7 games unbeaten and i'm not too confident about picking up 3 points at Bradford who won today.

jim

In a nutshell, they were sh*te - we should have won by a couple.

B

bwilliams

I would'nt say they say they where sh*te, but were decent

As Joe said we can't seem to buy a goal

having said that, we didn't play to badly we just couldn't score. And the referee was a fuc*ing tosser!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought we had most of the possession in the 1st half, but didn't test their keeper. 2nd half was more positive from Rovers, Zola shooting straight at their keeper from a decent cross by Delroy being the best chance, three shouts for a penalty, the middle one, the pull-back of Greenacre(I think) looking the strongest. Then Southend had a stong spell, where Eastwood hit the bar and they had their own shout for a penalty, when the ball bounced up & hit Francis' moving hand. The final spell showed some more pressure from Rovers, but no winner.

Was surprised at the starting line-up, thought Aiston might have got the nod, given his good home form. Also aside from Sam, we had a keeper, a defender & two defensive midfielders on the bench, which didn't give scope for much change. Davies instead of Jennings would have made far more sense.

Dino's kicking let him down, otherwise ok. Both full-backs seemed a bit off form, Jacko lucky the ref didn't spot a Beckham-like kick at an opponent who'd fouled him, Sharps solid. Midfield, both McAteer and O'Leary played well, Danny quiet. Up front Greenacre was subdued and Calvin continues to disappoint, Facey the best of our strikers. Of the subs, Aiston did quite well, but Linwood ineffective at left-back. Hope that's not Brian's masterplan if Gareth goes. :roll:

Think while we should be grateful for the point, Southend a solid side, but weren't as impressive as Swansea or Brentford and if we'd approached the game more positively could have taken all three!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Pleasing performance, we should have won but the keeper puled off some good saves. But 0-0 agaisnt top team not a bad result.

A

AndyRoo16

A good performance from the boys today, but yet another 0-0 draw, as i predicted :wink:
We had control throughout the game and should have certainly won. We lacked that finishing quality and needed to press just that little bit further. Going in to the game we probs would have taken a point but this was not acceptable after.
The team played well, no one played very badly, thought Dino was comfortable and made a few good saves. The only thing that should have been different was Aiston should have came on earlier....
not much else to say...
2 points lost.

M

Matthew The Rover

Tranmere 0-0 Southend

Tranmere grabbed a third consecutive 0-0 draw in league one (and a fifth in eight games) in an exciting game with top of the table Southend.

Brian Little switched to 4-3-3 as he searched for a goal, making two changes from the team that started against Hartlepool. Delroy Facey and Jason McAteer both started as the suspended Ian Goodison and Steven Jennings made way.

Both sides had early chances, as Dino Seremet thwarted two Southend attacks and Calvin Zola shot wide from outside the area whilst Gareth Roberts slipped when shooting as his shot from a McAteer free-kick went some distance wide.

However, Rovers appeared to be trying to walk the ball into the goal. On too many occasions they would take the extra touch (or two or three) which allowed Southend the chance to get a tackle in or mark up.

After one of these moves which lasted two or three minutes, Steven O'Leary found Danny "Goal Machine" Harrison who shot from 20 yards out but his shot edged wide of the post.

Then on 26-minutes, Rovers went close again as Ian Sharps headed just inches over from another Tranmere corner on the right, where all the pressure was coming from Simon Francis in particular.

Then came the tackle of the game, from the inform Mike Jackson. Wayne Gray, the pacey Southend Number 10 broke into the penalty area but Mike Jackson made up the extra yards to get back and make one of the best challanges I've ever seen. If he had been a split second later or earlier in his tackle, Southend would have had a penalty and Jackson would have been off.

Rovers had the next shot as McAteer forced a good save out of Flahavan with a dipping and swerving shot from 20 yards, which Flahavan did well to hang on to.

The game continued to be end to end stuff as Freddy Eastwood missed a glorious opportunity at the Kop end, shooting right across Dino Seremet's goal when breaking free of the Rovers defence.

So at half time the sides were level and Southend didn't look like a side who were top of the league. The game needed somebody to take over and control the midfield. Step forward Danny Harrison, who had a fantastic game.

It would also help each side if they had somebody who could finish as each side had had decent chances but had squandered them.

Niether side made any changed at half time although all the fans I spoke to at half-time in the Jonny King stand wanted Sammy Aiston to come on.

Rovers then had their best chance to score just two minutes into the half. Delroy Facey sent in a brilliant cross after a flick-on header from McAteer and the cross was met by Calvin Zola, galloping into the penalty area.

Zola did all he could with his shot. Hitting hit first time he managed to keep it low and accurate, the best he could do from a very tight angle, but unfortunatly Flahavan made the save of the match to push the ball round the post for a corner. Mike Jackson headed wide from this corner which was swung in by Jason McAteer.

Rovers had the next chance too as Zola was brought down 20 yards out. From the set piece Jason McAteer swung the ball round the wall but the ball was caught by Flahavan at full stretch as Rovers strived for the opener.

Minutes later Rovers should have had a penalty as Calvin Zola, who was proving to be a big handful for the Southend defence, broke free but was then tripped up near the penalty spot. However, the referee (Mr. R Booth) waved away Rovers appeals.

Minutes later Rovers should have had another penalty. A corner was swung in by McAteer and both Mike Jackson and Simon Francis were pushed over but for some reason unknown to man (or woman), Mr Booth once again waved away Tranmere's appeals.

Rovers had their hearts in the mouths with 17 minutes to go as Freddy Eastwood hit the bar from the edge of the area. Rovers were messing around with the ball in the box and were trying to pass the ball out instead of just hoofing it clear.

Then Brian Little made a substitution which changed the game (or two if you're being kind). Calvin Zola and Jason McAteer were replaced by Sam Aiston and Paul Linwood as Rovers changed to 4-4-2.

Sam Aiston was fantastic and changed the game completely, setting up a very exciting final 15 minutes.

With 12 minutes remaining, Aiston sprinted through the none-existant Southend defence before letting go a powerful shot from the edge of the area which was spectacually saved by Flahavan who was having a fantastic match.

On 80-minutes, Danny Harrison once again tried his luck from 20 yards but struck over before Ian Sharps skinned most of the Southend team before setting up an attack which was wasted by the Rovers attack.

In the closing minutes, Delroy Facey had his shot saved whilst Gareth Roberts scuffed a shot wide with his wrong foot and Steven O'Leary also headed off target.

The referee blew his whistle after four minutes of injury time and most Rovers fans were relatively pleased with the result.

I myself predicted a 1-1 draw and was happy to take away a point against the league leaders, who didn't look like league leaders atall at Prenton Park today.

Rovers played good football, and made Southend look very ordinary when they managed to string a few passes together along the ground (and not just hoofing it up field).

Jones' Man Of The Match: If Sam Aiston had been on the pitch for any longer, he would have won it, but alas he was only on the pitch for 15 minutes.

This leaves Simon "The amazingly good loan player who we must sign permanently" Francis and Danny "Goal machine" Harrison.

Francis was his usual self. The master of the right wing who was brilliant all game with his passing, crossing and tackling.

However, my Man Of The Match goes to Danny Harrison. He has improved dramatically since Christmas and today, in my opinion, was his best game of the season. his passing, movement, tackling and vision was brilliant, just what was needed of a midfielder. Shame he left his shooting boots in the changing room after the Rotherham game.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Woah! I agree with Matthew, we did start with a 4-3-3 formation and late on switched to a more defensive 4-4-2. Someone make a note of that happening!

Which was a shame, because although Aiston came on and was brilliant again, the move to take off a striker and bring on another centre back in his place, to concrete another draw that should have been a win was frustating to say the least.

Greenacre should have been moved from jumping against the lad with the tea-towel on his head, he never won a header, so Zola or Facey should have swapped places, this was my main critisism of Brian's plan really --- besides the negative motivational signals sent out by the late subbing off of a forward.

We were better than them. The ref was a complete muppet. They were rubbish and just shows that if we had been setting out to win games we'd be top of the league by now, instead of 30 games in still worrying about mathmatical relegation. But we won't be setting out to win anything with Brian in charge. End of story.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Oh and one more thing. Please please please Brian, LET GARETH TAKE THE FREE KICKS. McAteer just doesn't strike it hard enough and Facey's aim is all over the place at distances outside the box.

M

Matthew The Rover

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Oh and one more thing. Please please please Brian, LET GARETH TAKE THE FREE KICKS. McAteer just doesn't strike it hard enough and Facey's aim is all over the place at distances outside the box.

It's a shame really. Although you are right that McAteer doesn't have the power, usually Gareth doesn't have the accuracy (apart from his wonder goal vs. Chesterfield!). Shame we don't have anybody inbetween

DixieDean

Matthew The Rover said:
It's a shame really. Although you are right that McAteer doesn't have the power, usually Gareth doesn't have the accuracy (apart from his wonder goal vs. Chesterfield!). Shame we don't have anybody inbetween

Greenacre... he should be taking anything within sniffing distance of the goal.

As for the match. As soon as Brian started with 4-3-3 you could see the only changes he could make would be negative ones. How else could Aiston get on the pitch? He had to balance things by going 4-4-2 and that was a good decision in my book. Zola had taken a knock and was knackered and we had no-one else to go up front. I thought everyone played well today. No-one let us down. On another day we'd have won by a couple of goals, but it wasnt to be today.

One thing is certain, we made top of the table Southend look very very ordinary.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Matthew The Rover said:
This leaves Simon "The amazingly good loan player who we must sign permanently" Francis and Danny "Goal machine" Harrison.

Francis was his usual self. The master of the right wing who was brilliant all game with his passing, crossing and tackling.

However, my Man Of The Match goes to Danny Harrison. He has improved dramatically since Christmas and today, in my opinion, was his best game of the season. his passing, movement, tackling and vision was brilliant, just what was needed of a midfielder. Shame he left his shooting boots in the changing room after the Rotherham game.

Interesting selections, Matthew. This was a game where no player stood out as being much better than the rest. Only my 2nd time seeing Simon Francis, much better having a genuine right-back in the slot rather than a midfielder/central defender filling in. However there were a couple of times he dithered on the ball and there was little evidence of any crossing ability on Saturday. Danny Harrison gets a lot of undeserved flak imo, he had a steady game, but apart from two wild shots, nothing striking.

My contender would be Stephen O'Leary, some good creative play and always making himself available, however he needs to develop his strength as he was brushed aside on occasion. For that reason, my Man of the Match was Ian Sharps, back to his rock-like best in the heart of defence and the moment highlighted in Matthew's report when he ventured further up field and carved open the Southend defence.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
To me it sounds like Southend were playing for a point. Every time we went forward the commentater said they had about 8 players behind the ball.

Player
Morrisey
Although they are top and we are bottom half! At home to anyone we should be playing for a win and we should be scoring! This league is not concistant(sp?) and we need to take advantage of that by playing well week in week out! and that will mean winning home games!

M

Matthew The Rover

We were playing for a win! Hence the 4-3-3, we just couldn't convert our chances or took too long on the ball

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I don't know how we never came ever away with al three points, we really played very postively and attacking but suppose thers been times woth played superb and lost.

Player
Morrisey
Matthew, we weren't playing for the win hence the change to 4-4-2. BL needs to throw every thing at opposing teams at home!! still we are unbeaten in 8 now but I think we need a few more 3pointers!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Super_white_army said:
BL needs to throw every thing at opposing teams at home!! still we are unbeaten in 8 now but I think we need a few more 3pointers!
BL needs to throw something, anything at opposing teams, but I don't think he has it in him.

Unbeaten... bah! We need wins. Lose four matches but win two and you're better off than if you'd lost just one but drawn the other five.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Super_white_army said:
BL needs to throw every thing at opposing teams at home!! still we are unbeaten in 8 now but I think we need a few more 3pointers!
BL needs to throw something, anything at opposing teams, but I don't think he has it in him.

Unbeaten... bah! We need wins. Lose four matches but win two and you're better off than if you'd lost just one but drawn the other five.

Yer im happy that we got a draw but 3 points would of been welcomed it scares me that we keep on drawing 0-0 and not getting three points out of games we can easily win or could of won

Player
Morrisey
This is just shouting out to BL that we need a creative midfielder to, well create stuff!

Come on BL buy someone to make a difference, someone to replace Hall!