• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2024-25

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
It wasn’t announced how long his contract was at the time he joined Milton Keynes, but not seen mention of a fee. It sounded from the joining-up interview that he expects to mainly play on the right for us. O’Connor into midfield?
I always had the feeling N8gel was concerned over the lack of height at our far posts. So yes maybe LOC into midfield - 433? As you'd think both would expect to be in the first eleven.
Or is Cameron considered an upgrade and a move with a fee lined up for LOC?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Norman certainly seems an upgrade on some of the squad defenders we had last season. As regards Solomon I am or sure how often non league signings have worked out at Rovers? Nevitt - others in recent years?
I don't think for one minute he will be a squad player. I would have him as a definite starter either to free LOC to play in midfield/ to replace LOC or else albeit perhaps less likely given he says he expects to play right side as a CB starter (suggestion elsewhere that Davies is attracting enquiries/ interest).

In any event I think this is an excellent signing at pretty much the best level we can realistically expect unless investment is so close MP is splashing cash in advance.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with ADD that he’ll be expecting to start. Arguably the defence needs shaking up a bit as don’t forget we lost half of all our league games last season. Davies does pick up injuries and unlike last season now has some real competition for the right side CB slot.

Suspect LOC will be first choice RB as we now have Finlay along with Hendry and Walker if fit for the CM slots. Good to have options though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure there are many guaranteed starters at this stage, and the new recruits simply provide the additional options and competition that were sorely lacking last season, when we had a reasonable first eleven but nothing beyond it.

Turnbull, Davies, O'Connor and Norman are all good enough, and it will be interesting to see them fight it out for a starting berth. It is similar in the midfield positions, as Sparky references above.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also glad we’re giving players two year contracts. Depends on age and experience of course but Crewe raising a few eyebrows by giving new players three year deals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Also glad we’re giving players two year contracts. Depends on age and experience of course but Crewe raising a few eyebrows by giving new players three year deals.
We haven’t given long deals since Cole Stockton and Jake Kirby, except for Sam Taylor who got a three-year deal near the beginning of last season.

I prefer two-year deals with a one-year option by the club. We have used that successfully recently with players like Hawkes. It reduces the chance of losing good players on free transfers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Milton Keynes fans don’t know if we’ve paid a fee for Norman or they cancelled his contract. They play wing-backs and he’s not attacking enough to play in that role on the right, while they have better central defender options.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Milton Keynes fans don’t know if we’ve paid a fee for Norman or they cancelled his contract. They play wing-backs and he’s not attacking enough to play in that role on the right, while they have better central defender options.
He played 40 league games for them last season and got 4 assists which is not too bad

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Joe Pritchard who we were linked with joins MK Dons who are splashing the cash.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just a quick note to say that the four key signings of last summer, Norris, Dennis, McGee and Jennings arrived in June. To date, we have just three new players and no more likely before the end of the month. We signed a lot of players from July 2023 onwards, but all were fringe players or loanees. None of them have stayed, except Connor Wood.

I'd say we are still about six players light and would expect two permanent signings asap followed by four loanees near the start of the season. We usually give one or two of our youngsters their first professional contract, but no news of any so far. I'd say I'm pleased with the quality of the signings so far but not the quantity. I appreciate that we are prioritising quality this window, but we will need to move quickly before we are in the bargain basement.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't have any concerns regarding the recruitment process this summer, purely because it is clearly Adkins who is driving it.
Yes I agree. More than ever we need quality over quantity. It is a balance between waiting for the right players and not being left with all the rubbish. However I’m hoping we’ve learnt lessons from the last and the signings so far would suggest that albeit I’m not convinced Davison will score many. A few loans players will come and perhaps we’re saving some cash for January as Palios likes to do.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes I agree. More than ever we need quality over quantity. It is a balance between waiting for the right players and not being left with all the rubbish. However I’m hoping we’ve learnt lessons from the last and the signings so far would suggest that albeit I’m not convinced Davison will score many. A few loans players will come and perhaps we’re saving some cash for January as Palios likes to do.
Most of the previous January window signings have been funded by cup runs rather than saving money for then.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regards Norman, I asked the question and reported the response. Rovers don’t usually play with wing-backs anyway.

Like BBTC, I’m happy with the recruitment and squad so far but we are still a bit thin on numbers compared to Nigel’s quoted ideal squad size. There will always be some late additions, but Adkins knows that leaving too many gaps to the last minute has its own problems. I would hope to see another 3-4 arriving within the next few weeks.

Last edited: