• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2024-25

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wonder with Turnbull whether they are leaving it as some more good news to announce just before the season ticket deadlines

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ben Hockenhull recalled from his loan spell at Southport. Timing a bit off as he’s been getting game time at Haig Avenue but perhaps we still have Turnbull and Yarney missing and Nigel intends on giving him some minutes in these last few games

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting pre Newport Nigel talks about next season having 22 outfield players and 3 keepers. So that’s down by 7 in total from around the current 32 ish.

Also talks about how great Jennings and Saunders linked up and when we were scoring lots of goal. Made me think about whether despite his goal at Wrexham have we become less effective with Norris up top alongside Jennings. Could that impact any decision to keep Norris? I suspect he’ll stay as Nigel has been giving Luke plenty of minutes

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Interesting pre Newport Nigel talks about next season having 22 outfield players and 3 keepers. So that’s down by 7 in total from around the current 32 ish.

Also talks about how great Jennings and Saunders linked up and when we were scoring lots of goal. Made me think about whether despite his goal at Wrexham have we become less effective with Norris up top alongside Jennings. Could that impact any decision to keep Norris? I suspect he’ll stay as Nigel has been giving Luke plenty of minutes
I've thought for sometime that Norris coming back, albeit very welcome, might disrupt the embedded way of playing established in his absence. Something for Nigel to work on.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I've thought for sometime that Norris coming back, albeit very welcome, might disrupt the embedded way of playing established in his absence. Something for Nigel to work on.
Yes, it's an interesting one. I think that we should be able to use both "types" of formation depending on opposition, injuries, individual form and the need to change tactics during a match. Norris is a good footballer and I don't see the fact that we had a more prolific spell without him as a good reason not to try and keep him.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It is interesting.
However I think the plan A is to have a lot of height through the spine.
From the keeper, centre backs, centre mid (Walker), and Norris up top.
Add Jennings for a bit extra height and an alternative out ball. And his link play.

Be interesting, if Nigel targets extra bodies over 6 foot odd in the summer.

And thanks @bigmart for the list.

Not sure where to post this now that the 23/4 squad thread has closed, but the FA has today published the net amounts paid by each club to agents and intermediaries for the year to 1/2/24.

We paid £59k, which is one of the lower figures in L2. Wrexham topped it at a whopping £347k, although at least they’ve got more bang for their buck than second highest payers FGR, who‘ve shelled out £266k in their pursuit of back to back relegations!

IMG_2065.jpeg

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would expect the agents’ fees are roughly in proportion to the players’ wages. If so, we are mid-table at best. If we are higher, it is only because of our numbers not our quality.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Pretty much identical to our league position - 18th!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Pretty much identical to our league position - 18th!
Yes, you could say we are getting value for money.. ;)

Seriously, Crewe, Barrow and Crawley have shown you needn’t break the bank to get good results, while FGR, Bradford City and Salford have thrown money away.

At the end of the day, a club like ours just needs to be well managed and if we have just an average budget we can go a long way. That’s why I’m hopeful for next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The squad size was ridiculous this season and resulted in virtually no quality outside the first eleven.

It is a difficult decision regarding Norris. He does not suit our counter attacking style under Adkins at all, at least in his current state of fitness, and our attacking displays have gone downhill since he returned to the side. He will be one of our highest earners, so I am pretty sure we can't afford to keep him on as a bit part player, particularly if Dennis stays. We might be better off spending the money elsewhere.

Then again, he is a proven goalscorer at this level and we have just offered a two year deal to a striker who basically never scores. We have to get goals from somewhere.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Turnbull has tweeted today about his shoulder surgery meaning he won’t play again this season but means he’ll be raring to go for the start of next season.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The squad size was ridiculous this season and resulted in virtually no quality outside the first eleven.

It is a difficult decision regarding Norris. He does not suit our counter attacking style under Adkins at all, at least in his current state of fitness, and our attacking displays have gone downhill since he returned to the side. He will be one of our highest earners, so I am pretty sure we can't afford to keep him on as a bit part player, particularly if Dennis stays. We might be better off spending the money elsewhere.

Then again, he is a proven goalscorer at this level and we have just offered a two year deal to a striker who basically never scores. We have to get goals from somewhere.
Agreed.

I was hoping that Adkins had been adopting this counter attacking style of play out of necessity during Norris's long absence and until we were safe but as you say the 2 year deal for Saunders who never scores means that I suspect we are going to have to put up with the same next season. Norris doesn't fit into that no but he is a striker and I doubt when he is fully fit that we will be able to get any better at the salary we are willing to pay.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All sorts of rumours on the other site. Suggested Wood, O’Connor and Luke Norris moving on, would be a bit surprised at the last, though if another club has offered him a good deal understandable. Jeff King, who Spireites don’t seem to rate and Josh Davison and/or Chuks Aneke amongst the suggested arrivals. No idea about the credibility of any of this.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I always thought signing Luke Norris on just a one year deal after his promotion season with Stevenage was a risk if he did well and could go for nothing. As it is he’s barely featured for most of the season but at his age if he gets a two year deal somewhere then it wouldn’t surprise me if he left, although it would be a risk for whoever signed him.

As for LOC I’d like him to stay but by modern day footballer standards he’s been with us a while and may fancy a change. Especially if league one clubs or financially better league two clubs offer him a deal. I’d also like to keep Wood who got better the longer the season wore on. James Norris has done ok but I don’t think he’s good enough defensively.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Luke Norris won't be missed but I'd be sorry to see O'Connor and Wood leave. As for James Norris, I'd like to think he would be a decent signing if played in his preferred position on the left of midfield.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Luke Norris is recovering from serious injury and has not been match fit since he returned. However, on Saturday he looked sharper and was beginning to show what he is capable of at this level.

His injury record is a risk, but if he can complete his recovery he will be an asset for any club in League Two. He would be effective as a number nine with the pace of Saunders / A.N. Other alongside him.

I would not want James Norris, because in a smaller squad I am not sure what role he performs. Like Sparky, I don't think he is good enough defensively at full back, and would not create or score as many as Apter / Morris / Hawkes if played further forward.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Luke Norris is recovering from serious injury and has not been match fit since he returned. However, on Saturday he looked sharper and was beginning to show what he is capable of at this level.

His injury record is a risk, but if he can complete his recovery he will be an asset for any club in League Two. He would be effective as a number nine with the pace of Saunders / A.N. Other alongside him.

I would not want James Norris, because in a smaller squad I am not sure what role he performs. Like Sparky, I don't think he is good enough defensively at full back, and would not create or score as many as Apter / Morris / Hawkes if played further forward.
Since Vaughan this team has been playing with a concrete weight dragging in the water, this league without a physical presence up top is near impossible. We failed to get Jamille Matt and have had limited use of Norris. His injury was from an impact, can happen to anyone. We need to get an alternative to him as well as him, if he leaves I would halve our chances of going up as a gambling man. He is very skillful for a target at this level, that pass Saturday was sublime.
I'd also say the more Saunders starts, the lower our promotion chances get, you can't replicate previous strategies and expect a vastly different outcome. Equally what can Merrie offer when he created very little in a long run in midfield.
I'm not totally convinced Norris Jnr can't play left back and if LOC goes a wing back role might be perfect. Apparently he played central midfield for LFC, which seems odd as we haven't tried that- just hope he doesn't replace LOC!!
We probably will lose 15 players and bring in 10. Wood's efforts have been workmanlike at best, maybe we can't get anyone better, I can't even recall what Leake was like. Calum MacDonald has barely played in 2024 and may not be wanted after promotion, would be better and maybe a more mature man by now?

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I agree re young Norris. While acknowledging he may struggle at times due to physicality, he has I.proved in that position. Defo thing Left Mid would suit him, and he did look good in Centre Mid against Leicester U21s. Loked composed on the ball and read the game well with some timely interceptions.