• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwhoman

30% seems a bit high to me but if MP is thinking we should have a zero failure rate then he is deluded! Just doesn't happen especially at L2 level.

As to this Dawes undercutting/ stabbing in the back MM rumour is interesting and although I appreciate Dawes was never first choice for most of us on here that rumour has naturally made people even less impressed.

As I recall it started on the other site with an ITK guy who generally has got most things right this season until Dawes appointment - he was still saying it was BBM! There may have been others saying the same but his post was certainly where I first recall reading it. However what became clear was that he for whatever reason clearly had a personal axe to grind with Dawes and also put out incorrect statements about Dawes, one for example that he is lazy and had never bothered doing any more coaching badges when in fact he has been studying all along and will have his UEFA Pro licence by the start of next season. So it may be worth taking such rumours with a pinch of salt but be that as it may seems clear from the interview that MP that was going to replace MM from a long time out and I don't think he is so weak as to be swayed by anything Dawes may have said or done even if he had.
I agree. As a former CEO of the FA who reportedly helped save the Wembley project I doubt if he would be weak. If anything, too strong! Maybe BBM overplayed his negotiating hand or did not like Adkins looking over his shoulder! We may never know! We can but hope that we now see a sensible squad restructure including at least one guy who is capable of scoring regularly!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
30% seems a bit high to me but if MP is thinking we should have a zero failure rate then he is deluded! Just doesn't happen especially at L2 level.

As to this Dawes undercutting/ stabbing in the back MM rumour is interesting and although I appreciate Dawes was never first choice for most of us on here that rumour has naturally made people even less impressed.

As I recall it started on the other site with an ITK guy who generally has got most things right this season until Dawes appointment - he was still saying it was BBM! There may have been others saying the same but his post was certainly where I first recall reading it. However what became clear was that he for whatever reason clearly had a personal axe to grind with Dawes and also put out incorrect statements about Dawes, one for example that he is lazy and had never bothered doing any more coaching badges when in fact he has been studying all along and will have his UEFA Pro licence by the start of next season. So it may be worth taking such rumours with a pinch of salt but be that as it may seems clear from the interview that MP that was going to replace MM from a long time out and I don't think he is so weak as to be swayed by anything Dawes may have said or done even if he had.
The rumours about Dawes have come from plenty of sources, including the individual you reference above. It is interesting that in the past you have always stated that the said individual is spot on about everything behind the scenes, but don't on this occasion because it does not suit your argument.

We don't actually know that BBM was not close to getting the job. In fact, I think it is highly likely that he was in contention, as Dawes clearly was not the prime candidate or it would not have taken Palios two months to appoint him. Under MP deals for both managers and players have fallen down at the last minute on many occasions.

We will all interpret Palios's comments in the interview differently. However, my interpretation was that Dawes clearly was pushing back against Mellon's ideas, which is an unsustainable position and is why Mellon should have been allowed to bring in his own assistant.

Palios clearly rates Dawes, for reasons unfathomable to me, so it is quite plausible he would be receptive to and influenced by his comments if he was criticising Mellon, particularly given Palios's own sometimes fractious relationship with Micky.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Maybe BBM overplayed his negotiating hand or did not like Adkins looking over his shoulder!
I am not convinced Adkins' role had even been suggested when we were conducting the early interviews. I get the impression the addition of Adkins was a 'sweetener' to make the appointment of Dawes more palatable to the supporters.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I find some of what is being suggested quite hard to fathom out. Dawes doesn’t come across as some Machiavellian character, if the decision had already been made that MM wasn’t staying beyond the end of the season, he wouldn’t need to be. Equally, Mark’s admiration for Dawes is puzzling, given the results didn’t improve after he took over. No idea how far the negotiations with BBM actually got, if they did actually happen.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the suggestion is that Dawes accelerated Mellon's departure by letting senior players know he would not be staying beyond the summer, hence making his position untenable. After Dawes had spent the preceding months challenging Mellon's methods, which contributed to Palios's decision to get rid of him.

Either way, the Dawes rumours are just a side issue.

I have got broader concerns regarding the direction of the club and the suitability of Dawes for the role of manager. I think many other supporters feel the same way.

Last edited:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I find some of what is being suggested quite hard to fathom out. Dawes doesn’t come across as some Machiavellian character, if the decision had already been made that MM wasn’t staying beyond the end of the season, he wouldn’t need to be. Equally, Mark’s admiration for Dawes is puzzling, given the results didn’t improve after he took over. No idea how far the negotiations with BBM actually got, if they did actually happen.
Someone who endlessly and viciously undermined Mellon on social media and any successful player he signed, has latterly outted himself as a contemporary of Dawes playing at clubs throughout their careers. It could all be an imaginative cyber warrior, I suspect it is true and the wannabe hopes for better than his community coaching role.
Dawes as a non- exPro could be the next Gradi or Parry, suspect the odds are on the latter.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We really don't know how much MP rates Dawes. I'm not so sure it's as favourable as some people suggest. He had the opportunity to make him manager before and did not. I still think he went for the easy, cheap option and now he has backed him by putting a complete team behind him to 'challenge' and 'support' his position. That does not exude confidence to me.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Adkins will be manager by the middle of next season thats my guess and lets see how Daws can handle some backstabbing

We really don't know how much MP rates Dawes. I'm not so sure it's as favourable as some people suggest. He had the opportunity to make him manager before and did not. I still think he went for the easy, cheap option and now he has backed him by putting a complete team behind him to 'challenge' and 'support' his position. That does not exude confidence to me.
This is the kind of management structure that Palios has occasionally been hinting at for a couple of years now.

Not sure it’s the cheap option, once you factor Adkins into it (although it’s curious we haven’t announced whether his role is full time or part time).

My reservation, besides the well worn one about Dawes’ capabilities, is that this “challenge and support” approach might inevitably end up undermining him and his authority in the eyes of the players. A boss ought to be able to command a dressing room on his own; a boss who needs a mentor and can be openly criticised by his own staff might quickly find himself up against it.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
We signed the wrong Hemmings!

Kiddy Harriers win at Brackley because of a brace from Hemmings.
Quite prolific for them this season, including in the run in and play offs!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
There should be a team ethic for every club.
Management by committee is often when the board interferes in team affairs.

The players need to have a clear understanding of mutual discipline between those in charge of team affairs.
You cannot afford for any player, staff or board member undermining the team hierarchy! Disruption of that team ethic, tends to cause severe disharmony, poor discipline and counter productive to the aim of success.

Further evidence that we over-relied on young players this season:

Some notable exceptions but, in general, the strugglers feature highly on that chart and the more successful clubs tend to appear much lower down.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Further evidence that we over-relied on young players this season:

Some notable exceptions but, in general, the strugglers feature highly on that chart and the more successful clubs tend to appear much lower down.

It doesn’t seem that clearcut from the tables, there is an inclination towards the older teams doing better, but nothing stronger than that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It doesn’t seem that clearcut from the tables, there is an inclination towards the older teams doing better, but nothing stronger than that.
I agree, Boz. Of the six teams playing more youngsters, one got promoted, one finished higher and one finished level on points with us. Two of the bottom four teams (including Hartlepool) played more experienced players.

I think the key is getting a balance. We had too many older players last season and too many youngsters this season! But ultimately, it comes down to quality, no matter how old they are.

Hence “some notable exceptions”. But the general trend is clear enough. Although I doubt Palios was relying on that alone when he concluded that we did indeed go too young!

Player
Manager
John King
I think the number of first team appearances of a player is probably the best gauge of experience. I would imagine using that measure we were one of the most inexperienced squads in the division.

A number of our players are not particularly young (Cogley, Hawkes, O'Connor, Merrie) but have spent a lot of their careers in youth academies, and hence have played relatively few competitive games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think the number of first team appearances of a player is probably the best gauge of experience. I would imagine using that measure we were one of the most inexperienced squads in the division.

A number of our players are not particularly young (Cogley, Hawkes, O'Connor, Merrie) but have spent a lot of their careers in youth academies, and hence have played relatively few competitive games.
Yes I agree. Micky often mentioned the likes of Nevitt and Doohan who weren’t youngsters but were limited in FL appearances. Even cogley got mentioned as at the start of this season he’d only had one proper full season of FL football, despite being 26/27 and having a few loan spells

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a big fan but at least it is only for a year so no great commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.