• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Swindle v rovers

Match result

• Swindon

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Swindle v rovers
Posted by Ian
Energy Check County Ground
Saturday, November 12, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 12, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Without a win in 5 games Rovers could do with a win soon although a point at Swindon wouldn’t be a bad result. The hosts lie 6th in the table with 8 wins, 7 draws and only 3 defeats. A record similar to carlisles who we’ve struggled against of late. Despite an FA cup battering at Stockport the robins are in decent form. Their last 3 league games saw wins against Hartlepool and Mansfield and a draw v Bradford and they’ll be looking for at least a repeat of their 6th place play off finish last season. Rovers will need to keep an eye on frontman luke jephcott who we were linked with although ex rover Russian Hepburn Murphy has hardly features for the hosts.
As for rovers does Micky stick with the back 5 that keep a clean sheet v Stockport and started v Carlisle, or does he go with four which he went to at half time last week? That may impact whether Tom Davies keeps his place in the starting eleven. As for going forward I’m expecting the usual suspects although Nevitt may come back in for Lewis.

Prediction: I think we’re capable of getting a point but wouldn’t be surprised with a home win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hopefully a game were we get back on track, I'm hopeful of an away win 2 1

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Swindon seem quite a strong side, though with a fairly inexperienced manager and their recent Cup hammering was a surprise. Is there any news about Turnbull’s illness? If him, Davies and Simeu are all fit, then it wouldn’t be a surprise to see us play with 5 at the back, to mirror Swindon.

McAlear misses Saturday‘s game after picking up an injury in a friendly with Oldham.

Haven’t seen anything from today‘s press conference about Turnbull!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Frustrating re McAlear. Simeu picked up a knock at the end of the Carlisle game, any mention of him?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will be interesting if Doohan keeps his place. I’m sure he will as Micky is a big fan but can’t imagine his confidence is high after last weeks error.

The problem is Doohan was dropped late last season for Murphy. If Micky did it again, this time for hewlet then you wonder if Doohan would recover

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky confirmed in his pre-match interview that other than the long term absentees only McAlear is injured, but his knee problem is not considered serious. Swindon are a possession based side and we matched their 532 to earn a point at the County Ground last season, so it would not surprise me if we started with five at the back, with Simeu, Turnbull and Davies the centre halves. If Jameson was the only option I think we would play a back four.

Our record at Swindon is obviously appalling, which is strange as there has not been that much between the clubs historically. The last victory there was in 2006, but a point would be a decent return on Saturday with a winnable home game to follow.

I don't think dropping Doohan is justified based on a single error last week and I am sure he will start.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re Doohan there have been a few moments this season when I think he could have done better e.g the Rochdale goal at home but as I say, I don’t think Micky will drop him

Player
Manager
John King
As an aside, Swindon are surely the only League Two club with a player in a World Cup squad (Jonny Williams) ?

Wimbledon’s Chris Gunter is also in the Wales squad.

Don’t know of any other L2 players selected by anyone but one VNL player, Oldham’s keeper, Leutwiler, is in with a shout of making the Canadian squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice trivia!

I really hope we don't start with 5 at the back, I think we are asking for trouble. Let's keep the ball down and play some football!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I would be happy if we can take a point from the County Ground.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My mistake. It seems like Swindon are mainly playing 442/433 these days, so if we go to match them up Ian might get his 4 at the back wish!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I hope it is a back 4 we played so much better last week when we did also, we need Hawks playing as he does score a fair number of goals and with the front two not firing, we need someone at least trying to score also I would drop Hemmings for Nevitt, a 1-0nwin please

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I watched the Swindon managers pre match earlier. Commented on our recent formation changes but sounds like their danger man has been Jonny Williams who has 6 goals and is off to the World Cup afterwards. He was a bit coy about whether they would risk him given what’s at stake for the player. Hopefully they wrap him up in cotton wool.

Player
Manager
John King
I watched the Swindon managers pre match earlier. Commented on our recent formation changes but sounds like their danger man has been Jonny Williams who has 6 goals and is off to the World Cup afterwards. He was a bit coy about whether they would risk him given what’s at stake for the player. Hopefully they wrap him up in cotton wool.
Yes, I noticed that. Could just be mind games from their manager of course, as it is hardly in his interest to rest him.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
1668261804205.png

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Probably the best XI we could field. I hope they've been listening to Micky. We need concentration and attitiude from the KO, not another poor first 45 and we might have a chance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Ian is right. We can’t afford another first half where we’re not at the races