• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Suuwhyarmy 1-1 MK Scum

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Sigh............

Going to be hard to catch the top 6 now, whoever it is that ends up being in there - I suspect Leeds might creep in. I don't think we were too bad today really, the main problem seemed to be the quality of the delivery into the box - Cresswell was really the only one to put in a few good crosses from the left. Savage did some good work but was a bit starved of quality service, Moore was largely ineffective and replacing him with Gornell was a decision which paid instant dividends.

Chorley and Goodison didn't have a lot to do, but what they did do they did so without fuss - particulaly Chorley, who had another good game. Shuker was largely ineffective on the right, Barnett did a better job on the other side though. Kay was pretty crap and generally got in the way of Jenno who was easily MOTM alongside him - a great performance. Shotton was ok but would have liked to see him get forward more. Cresswell did very well on the left, notably playing an awesome ball over the top to Savage towards the end of the game - his general performance was better than Taylor's have been this season, by and large (not that he's been poor, but hasn't hit the heights of last season)

I expected a lot more of MK Dons. They were poor throughout and even the penalty decision was dubious - from where I was sat in the JK it looked like Howard handballed it before going down, ironic given the number of handballs they committed that the referee conveniantly decided to overlook. A very poor refereeing display, and a game that, on another day, I think we could have won. We've left ourself a lot of work left now - I'm not sure if we're up to catching the top 6, but there are certainly enough games left, and hopefully the lads will prove me wrong. 10 points from the next 4 would be enough to compensate for the last 3 results I feel. We aren't the only team who are stuttering a little, but now is the time for an immediate improvement before it's too late.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Completely agree. What a frustrating game. Like you say, we weren't bad, but we just couldn't do anything with the ball when we had it. But all I want to see is effort, and they gave us that.

MK Dons were poor. But then again, they were poor when we played them at home and they got lucky that day. Thought the same was going to happen today, winning by a dodgy penalty. I laughed when the fella went down in the area because it looked ridiculous. He certainly fooled the referee, but that wasn't hard. They got away with a lot today, and Bas, god bless him, never got a decision all game.

Hopefully Goodison will be OK after he limped off, a game too early maybe?!?

Don't want to be all gloom and doom, but I had in my head that we needed to win at least 2 of these 3 recent home games to shoot us into the chasing pack.

Two draws is disappointing really. This month, we've earned 6 points, which isnt a bad tally, but there's been a possible 15 points to play for, and I just dont think we are picking up enough points at the moment. We have to have a really good March and April.

But.. there is still hope. We are still only 3 points off the play-offs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm amazed that the franchise are so high up the table, frankly they were rubbish today. Along with the ref, Mr Booth. When he left the field at h/t with his arm around their captain, you could guess what was coming. The free-kick against Shotton early 2nd half was in front of me and plain wrong. The free-kick in the build-up to the penalty, he gave in response to their moaning, while the penalty was far from clearcut at first glance. As Ian says, he gave Savage no protection at all. Not that Bas was at his best, too much time out wide, rather than spearheading the attack. The triple substitution worked, though Barnett a bit unlucky to be replaced. Toss up between him and Cresswell for MoM, nobody consistently stood out. SonkORLY? raves about Jennings, but for me he went missing too often in the 1st half. Finally we've done well enough to stay in touch with the play-off pack, despite the impact of injuries on a small squad. Don't give up just yet.

Player
Goodison
It was an ok performance, we clearly lacked a cutting edge, which has been the story of our season really! Chorley and the one legged Goodison were excellent at the back, Jennings did well in an uninspiring midfield and only Gornell looked have decent up front. Achterberg was unlucky with the penalty but his presence seemed to reassure the rest of the defence as we didn't have the usual panic whenever a ball came over the top.

I'm starting to agree with SonkORLY when it comes to Kay, too many times today he got in our own players way (Mainly Jennings) or needlessy gave the ball away, his touch also isn't good enough for a central midfielder and it takes him 4 or 5 seconds to pick a pass which destroys any attacking impetus. Kay did well at centre back though which is the position he should play in, however Chorley is playing well at the moment and without Goodison its a shambles so I would leave Kay on the bench. Kay has popped up with some crucial goals but unfortuantely he is been played as a midfielder and needs to do more than that to justify is place in the side. However Savage was dreadful today, embarrasing in fact, everytime the ball goes to him he gives it away: No goals since November - that sums it up!

Hopefully Ronnie will revert to the 4-4-1-1 with Shuker "in the hole" as that is the system from which arguably our best performances this season have come. Were still in touch - just. Millwall in 6th and Scunthorpe in 5th have two games in hand so unless we start winning a few games (Home and away), starting with Swindon - its League 1 next year.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
couldnt get to the game as my missus is expecting very soon, so had to settle to listening to it on the radio. To be fair two draws against 2 very good teams is not a bad result, however it is against teams like Southend and Crewe and the like where we will ultimately miss out. We lack consistencey especially away from home and realistically dont think we match up to those teams ahead of us (on current form). We are still lacking in a number of areas someone who can score regularly being one of them. I think a real test will be against swindle next week, they are on fire at the moment and always tend to give us a game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RTID that Achto commands his area better. Defensively we were mostly fine, though Goodi took a knock after about 35minutes and Chorley, who was otherwise sound, kept passing back to him putting us under pressure. Goodison was a bit rusty, but when he went off, things were much less calm at the back and it appeared we were more at risk of conceding again than at any other time.

Midfield, Kay was a disappointment, yet still was involved in the build-up to our goal. Edds in the time he was on failed to close down properly and was second to some very winnable balls. Barnett may lack the physical strength for this role, although he's improved his stamina over the season.

Up front neither of our strikers really delivered. Certainly if we play 4-4-2 at home again I'd prefer to see Gornell alongside Moore. Savage hasn't scored for months and that's why I'd replace him rather than Daddy's boy.

BunnyBellEnd, hope all goes well with your missus.