• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stevenage 1 Rovers 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will wait for the reports but although I would have taken a point before kick off, I'm gutted with conceding a late equaliser.

Nice to see goodi back and we're still top so let's be positive.

A word for McGurk who after getting the winner at Oldham, set up the goal today. He is a confidence player so probably preferring trips away from PP at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent result and were still top after another week. It sounded like last kick of the game which is a bit disappointing but I would never turn down points away from home.

McGurk sounds like he needs pampering constantly. However we need players that can play at home too.

If we can start winning our home games again, we'll have a really good Xmas.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A frustrating result as we looked like we had the 3 points in the bag and from what i can gather they wernt very good. We would have been 5 clear of 2nd and 9 ahead of 7th.

Its good that we are not conceding many goals but we need to step up and increase our scoring regularly again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A game that we thoroughly deserved to win and should have won. I am absolutely gutted that we have only taken a point, but have to echo Ronnie's comments about the game, as the performance was excellent.

The first half was tight, but we edged it, playing much the better football and creating a number of half chances. It was not until the introduction of Freeman after thirty minutes that Fon Williams was tested; the only save that he had to make in the game.

In the second half we were completely dominant, going close through Robinson and Goodison before Cassidy deservedly put us ahead with a cracking finish. The goal was set up superby by McGurk who nutmegged the full back before delivering a pin point cross.

The only criticism I would have is that we again defended too deep in the last five minutes, which allowed Stevenage to get their opportunistic equaliser (probably a great finish in fairness) which was only their second shot on target in the game. The equaliser was undeserved and gut wrenching.

Therre were a number of excellent performances: Wallace (my MOYM) and Palmer bossed the midfield, McGurk had a very good second half, both full backs did well and O'Hallorhan worked extremely hard and showed some great movement and did actually seem to complement Cassidy. Goodison had a couple of nervous moments but generally looked as if he had never been away. Lucas Akins was in Zoom's pocket all game and looked as mediocre as he did here.

The real positive was that our patient, passing football had returned; we passed out from the back and played some really good stuff for much of the game. Hopefully the crowd at PP will have the patience to allow us to play this way at home.

On the negative side, although we are a point further ahead in first position, the chasing pack have now pretty much caught up. On the positive, if we play like this in the next two games we will have two home wins.

drwhoman

STEVENAGE

A bit disappointing but we would all have probably settled for a draw. The trick is to start winning games at home. I see Jervis has gone out on loan again - this time to Portsmouth while Chilvers, who I think was on trial before the start of the season (?) has joined Port Vale.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very frustrating!

The first half was even, with Stevenage having the only decent chance a shot which was deflected and turned round for a corner by OFW. The second, Rovers took the initiative, without troubling the home keeper too much, with a curling shot from Robbo the closest until McGurk set up Cassidy who headed us into the lead. The next 5 minutes, we remained on top, think Goodi came close with another header. Then it all went pear-shaped. Don't understand why and it was spread throughout the side, so OFW kicked straight out for a Stevenage goal-kick and there was a failure by, I believe, McGurk to close down on a rare moment with the ball in their half. After surviving the pressure into injury time and an effort against the post, the home team finally equalised. A decent effort, not that it was clear from the away end. Ronnie didn't have that excuse and it seemed churlish to describe it as a fluke.

There were a number of positives from Rovers, not least the way we tried to play the back out on the deck in terrible weather conditions. The Holmes-McGurk combo on the right seemed to deliver more attacking threat than Zoum-Robbo on the left; I'd make Adam my MoM.