• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Steve Davies Fee

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
See the official site has the verdict on Steve Davies. On the face of it, it doesn't seem as bad as it could have been. Agreed the upfront fee is down on what it should be, but the rest seems pretty fair. Could have been far worse.

What does everyone else think?

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I don't think we'd have got any better. I was expecting 100-200k in total. So hopefully will work out well above that with appearances and if Derby go up in next 3 years.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was expecting a little more upfront on the basis of what Leeds offered, but everyone knows the tribunal are detached from reality. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing the add-on for Derby going up this season. Will any of the up front payment go towards new players, or is that a stupid question?!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Stupid question Boz ;)
To be honest, I'm surprised at the fee. I thought it would be lower. What's annoying is the 500k worth of ifs and maybes. Its just an easy get out. Sadly we wont see any of that. Davies isn't that good and neither are the team he plays for.

What's annoying about the whole affair is the attitude from the player and the lack of support from the FA.

"It creates a big question for the Club - can you continue to invest in youth football if you can't get adequate compensation?

"One feature of this tribunal is that Steve Davies has walked away from the Club, without turning up on the last day as he was expected to do, without having any contact with the Club and without saying anything to the Manager or any of his colleagues. He didn't turn up to the tribunal and just submitted a piece of paper basically saying we didn't do anything for him.

"And I find that really, really sad. This is the same player who has said in previous interviews that when he was let go by Liverpool in 2002 he was thinking of giving up the idea of a career football but Tranmere gave him a future as a professional player.
"It is sad that Steve Davies has turned his back on the Club that has helped him and doesn't appreciate what the Club and fans did to support him."

Sad state of affairs. I hope we play Derby very soon!

Player
Liam Palmer
Did nothing for him? Is that the same Steve Davies who was rehabilitated by the staff at Rovers after his injury last year? Maybe we should have just dragged him off the pitch and left him - that would have been doing nothing.

I can only think he injured his brain at the same time as his knee. Good riddance with an attitude like that.

Ally

Player
Aldo
Anyone else think this could be the straw that broke the camel's back in Lorraine's decision to leave at the end of the season? Her comments were pretty disparaging about Davies, and I have to agree. The whole point of a lower league club like us having a youth policy is to get local lads into the game, create quality players without having to spend, and, if we do have to sell, getting a return on those years of investment. His decision to fook off elsewhere is understandable, but the way in which he did it was really disappointing. He is a professional footballer because of our club's decision to invest in his potential, to walk away like that is awful, I just hope it doesn't result in a reduction of investment in our youth policy, cos young players coming through the ranks and performing well is one of the few satisfying things about supporting the club.

Rant over.