• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags (2) v Rovers (2)

Match result

• Mansfield

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stags (2) v Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Field Mill has been a bogey ground for us historically, to put it mildly. We have only won once there in the last fifty years, a game I attended back in April 1991.

A couple of weeks ago this match seemed a complete lost cause, but I am mildly excited about it now. Mansfield have drawn a reasonable number of games and perhaps we are meeting them when they are having a very slight wobble. Fitness could be an issue for us given how long we spent without the ball on Saturday, particularly for players like Walker, and Adkins might have to use the bench well.

I just hope we are organised and put in another decent performance, irrespective of the result.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m not holding out much hope but if we can keep it tight early on and frustrate the home crowd then you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Some talk that Jennings is suspended after receiving 5 yellows. If so it’ll be interesting who Nigel picks as his replacement.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
A draw for me or a sneaky 1-0 or 2-1 win gotta get that away win sometime

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
A respectable defeat might be a result, especially as Jenno is out. Progress there maybe some but this looks a big ask

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that tonight could be interesting. All the pressure is on Mansfield. If we can find someone to fill CJ’s boots and protect the back four, we might cause a surprise. Whatever happens, a defeat will not be a setback.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The lads are definately playing with more confidence but our game management is terrible away from home. I'd be very pleased with a draw.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s a shame this game couldn’t be put back to the weekend with both sides out of the Cup.

Fairly sure Jennings will be banned, you’d have to wonder if Walker can play most of the game so soon after playing nearly a full match on Saturday. For CJs replacement maybe Morris with Hawkes starting?

I think a defeat is the most likely result. With FGR having a winnable home game v Bradford, even a draw may not be enough to keep us out of the bottom two.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some talk that Jennings is suspended after receiving 5 yellows.
Good shout @Sparky . That's a shame, we'll miss his workrate.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 092855.png

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Despite our upturn in defensive solidity I fear an away trip to Mansfield, despite having a slight wobble, will be too much for us and a defeat is probable. If so then as long as it’s not a battering and no one gets injured then it won’t be the end of the world. But as Boz alludes to that may depend on the results of the sides around us.

Although as we won’t have another league game for approx 10 days we could do with something. A point would be a great result.

Player
Manager
John King
If Jennings is out it is a big blow. It is difficult to see how the 442 would work effectively without him, particularly away from home.

Jolley is hardly a like-for-like replacement and we don't want to have to change formation again.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think if we set up as Saturday with enforced changes and try and catch them with counter attacks, the pressure will tell.
We need big games from defence and midfield as a shape, to maybe even get a draw.
I think without our best attacking options bar Apter. We need to park all the buses.
Damage limitation should not be part of our game plan.

Home win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What about using Saunders? At least he has the pace and workrate if nothing else.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to park all the buses.
The problem with this approach is that eventually we will break. I don't think we're are capable of parking the bus and inviting pressure for 90 mins. I don't think Adkins likes to play that way either.

Player
Manager
John King
What about using Saunders? At least he has the pace and workrate if nothing else.
He can't hold the ball up like Norris / Jennings which would be the issue I think, particularly against superior opposition.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The problem with this approach is that eventually we will break. I don't think we're are capable of parking the bus and inviting pressure for 90 mins. I don't think Adkins likes to play that way either.
I was talking literally. The players coach, the trust coach, the supporters coach. And any other we can park in front of the goal! Ha!

I did mention, not relying on counter attacking, sitting back deep.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
If Jennings is out it is a big blow. It is difficult to see how the 442 would work effectively without him, particularly away from home.

Jolley is hardly a like-for-like replacement and we don't want to have to change formation again.
Not as good a footballer, but he can match Jenno's work rate. I'd much prefer Jenno on recent form, but Charlie is combative enough to take some weight off Dennis and give him room for a chance or two.