• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Southport v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This Saturday sees the first derby of the season with a visit to Haig Avenue. Someone else might know the last time we won a competitive match there, but in my 55 years as a Rovers fan, I can't remember a single success. Will Rovers finally break the hoodoo or will Southport end our dream start to the season? Port have had a disappointing start with only one win, but their four defeats were to teams near the top of the table. GB and his assistant Paul Carden have both managed the Sandgrounders in recent years, which might help. It all points to an away win and I am predicting a 2-0 victory.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll derail at some point but I can't see it being on Saturday. Everything points to a comfortable victory but I have that game last year niggling in my head. However a lot has changed since then so I'm going for 3-1 win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with Ian. Our winning run won't go on forever (like FGR last season), but I really don't expect it to stop on Saturday against a Southport side in a bit of early season turmoil having seen their assistant manager quit this week and their defence leaking goals.

Ex Bury striker Andy Bishop is in charge and their only player who poses any sort of threat is Louis Almond who has a couple of goals already this season. BBTC makes a good point about Brabin and especially Carden in recent times knowing what Southport possess.

I expect another unchanged line up and if we can get an early goal, it could be a very comfortable afternoon for the SWA who have sold out their allocation. Would be nice again for one or more of the 3 attacking players to get on the score sheet, and possibly some changes especially with another match 2 days later. Surely if we're winning comfortably the likes of Cook etc could be given a rest.

Prediction: 3-0 win for rovers.

Player
Nevin
I'll be part of the 1700 making the trip this weekend for my first away match of the season. Selling out our allocation is encouraging. I reckon this will be a nervier affair than many think I'm predicting a close 1-0 win for us.... We should be the better team but almost because of that unless we score early a big away crowd like that makes things nervy.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Ian alludes to, Southport were faring almost as badly when we visited last season yet gave us a very tough game indeed. It is also exactly twelve months this weekend since the Altrincham game, where an equally large Rovers following saw us put in a dreadful performance and lose to a side that was relegated at the end of the season.

However, we have come a long way since then, whereas Southport appear to be poorer on and off the pitch. Andy Bishop is very inexperienced and seems to be out of his depth, making his more experienced assistant a scapegoat this week as Sparky notes. The Sandgrounders have brought in midfielder Craig Stanley on loan from Lincoln and might show more spirit than in previous matches given the derby atmosphere, but they have a defence like a sieve and I can only see a comfortable Rovers victory.

Gary Brabin is by nature a cautious manager who prefers his team to keep its shape rather than go gung-ho looking for goals (I don't think this is a bad thing in our current position), so it will be interesting to see whether we are capable of knocking a few in on Saturday. We certainly should look to rest players if we have a comfortable lead.

I hope the large Rovers following behaves itself and enjoys the day.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Looking forward to a good day out and another 3 points, think we will win easily 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As BBTC suggests, our record at Haig Avenue isn't great, think our last win in a competitive game was in the late 50s/early 60s. Both games last season were tight contests. I'm a little surprised the Sandgrounders, who seemed to recruit well over the summer after a decent end to last season, are struggling so badly.

I can't see Brabin changing a winning side, but hope he makes more use of the subs. We ought to win this, but when do Rovers perform to expectations...

Player
Manager
John King
For those that are interested, our allocation was just under 1,900.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The lads have been able to rest this week so energy levels should be good.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Just to answer the question about when did we last win away to Southport. I went with three other friends to watch us play Southport at Haig Avenue on Boxing Day 1966 and we came out winners 0-1 with the only goal scored by George Yardley with a crisp snapshot into the far bottom corner. My recollection is that this was the debut game of George's months trial and the rest is history scoring 49 in 76 games in his first spell.
We had been on a scoring draught after the sale of Dyson & Manning etc albeit playing some good football and this game was the turning point. If my memory serves me correctly the Southport away the following season was 0-0 and we did not play them again.
Doesn't look as though Haig Avenue has changed a lot in the fifty years. Sadly can't make the match but looking forward to a good win and reading your reports.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You've got some memory Brightonian!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even I don't recall that game, Brightonian, as my first post indicates. But I do remember that was the first season since the war that Rovers got promoted. We finished 4th after two 5th places. Happy days.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sorry, Brightonian, but I've just done a bit of research and we played Luton Town at home that day. Were you thinking of Chester the previous week? It seems our last league win at Haig Avenue was in 1958 in the Third Division North (definitely before my time!) but we won there in the League Cup in 1974 (which I should remember but don't). http://www.11v11.com/teams/tranmere-rovers/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Southport/

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
The memory not as good as I thought then. Sign of old age creeping on it seems.
Well if it is as long ago as 1958 (which is two years before my first game ) well overdue for that away win.

M

Mal

dreamed that Tranmere won 3-o with a bobby Charlton style goal from Steve Jennings. Might go the bookies in Southport

Player
Manager
John King
Daggers three up against Wrexham. John still is doing a great job at this level once again and they look like our biggest challenger. Rovers need a point to stay top.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very frustrating. It sounded from the text commentary as if we had reverted to last season's stereotype - creating plenty of chances but not converting them. I look forward to the reports (but not as much as usual).

M

Mal

I think the "not at the races" sums it up. It was a bit like the Welling game last season. Tranmere score then a somewhat fluke of a goal for the equaliser. I cannot do justice as a reporter so wont try. Too much of the long ball again. Players seemed a bit apathetic. At least we have the winning run at an end so maybe they will relax and play on the ground on Monday. However, televised so may get stage fright again. It was not an enjoyable game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will await any reports but by all accounts the first half was a fairly non event. I'm sure most of the SWA thought we would go on and win it after Cook scored early in the 2nd half but what sounds like a fluke got the sandgrounders a point.

I'd be interested in how the front 3 did and whether any changes were made. After 4 goals in his first 3 games, Norwood hasn't scored and has missed a penalty. Not a confidence crisis by any means but I'd also be interested in whether Connor Jennings did much today as I'm still not sure that over the course of the season, his wide position will continue to bear fruit. Did Stephenson and or Mekki get a chance today?

Disappointing but still a great start to the season and we remain top with Daggers only a point behind. Monday's home game against played 6 lost 6 Guiesely is surely a great opportunity to get back to winning ways.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Mal's sentiments above. A scrappy game and a very poor performance from Rovers. I can't be too disappointed with the result as a point was all we deserved. Southport battled hard and deserved their draw, and actually caused our defence a few problems for a period of fifteen minutes in the second half. I think it was bad time to play them as their new assistant seemed to have them fired up and better organised defensively. However, even taking that into account it was a disjointed, lethargic display from Rovers and we only seriously troubled the opposition keeper in the last ten minutes of the match. All the things we have been doing on this winning run - passing the ball quickly, moving off the ball, pressing the opposition - we failed to do and Southport seemed to win the majority of the fifty-fifty challenges.

Midfield was the major problem. I have been saying for weeks that Jeff Hughes should be a regular starter in the middle and today showed why. None of the midfield trio had good games, but Maynard was the spare man who was in possession most of the time. We needed him to get passing moves going but his distribution was very poor and he resorted it to lumping it more often than not. As a result, the service to the front players was non-existent, certainly in the first half. It was only when Hughes was moved into the middle by Brabin in the last twenty minutes (the correct move, but one which came too late) that we started to create and their keeper made two great saves from Cook and Kirby towards the end to deny us a, probably undeserved, winner. There just was not enough creativity in the midfield today and I think either Connor Jennings or Hughes should have been moved centrally far earlier in the match.

There were also signs of tiredness in the front three, and with Southport defending so deep in the first period the lack of width in the side was a problem. Yes, Brabin did eventually make changes but I thought they should have been made much earlier, possibly at half time. The change made by Andy Bishop to introduce Louis Almond had a far bigger impact on the game than our substitutions. I think the number of the games played by the first eleven in recent weeks caught up with us today, and Brabin certainly has some selection problems ahead of Monday. Jeff Hughes would certainly have to come back into midfield in my view, but I think there may have to be changes further forward.

It was a day when virtually all of our players were seriously below par, and the man of the match was Jeff Hughes by some distance. The one positive we can take from the match is that we would certainly have lost it last season having turned in that kind of display.

Credit should be given also to the travelling SWA. To take more than 2,000 fans to an away match in non-league football is remarkable, and I did not detect a hint of trouble.