• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Silkmen v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just seen the goals. The first was awful. Sutton or Big Mac played back to ridehalgh on his weaker right side under pressure who then had to go back to Davies also under pressure.

Yes play it round the back when your not under pressure but if you are then get rid.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still think the midfield were largely to blame for the first goal as they had ample opportunity to cover and break up the attack when we lost possession.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Watching the goals again, a great finish by Sutton and equally by Rowe for their third. A very good penalty by Lewis as well, giving Davies no chance.

Laughed at loud at Andy Doyle claiming Vaughan's challenge was 'never a penalty' and as 'blatant a dive' by the forward as Tollitt's the other week. It was as clear a penalty as you will ever see ! What planet is he on........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Laughed at loud at Andy Doyle claiming Vaughan's challenge was 'never a penalty' and as 'blatant a dive' by the forward as Tollitt's the other week. It was as clear a penalty as you will ever see ! What planet is he on........
I found that interesting too. Just where did he get those rose tinted specs from? I think Derek Jones is excellent but Andy Doyle's clearly biased comments are annoying at best. You wonder what Derek thinks at times. I'd find it very difficult to bite my tongue.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've only seen a brief clip of Micky's post-match remarks, so may be doing him a dis-service. The impression he gives was that it was all going well until half-time. While that was true in terms of creativity, Hughes hit the post and there were good chances for Norwood and Kirby, there was always the feeling that carry on playing the same way, without adjustment to properly protect the defence and we would concede. It's something RLC mentioned above and was my view and that of those around me. It would be a concern if it hadn't registered with the manager.

Viewing the goals again, their 2nd and 3rd were virtually unstoppable in terms of how they were placed. I suppose you could make arguments about the lack of aerial challenge for the Lewis header or the marking could have been tighter before Rowe's shot. I didn't think their fourth should have been a penalty, Vaughan's challenge was a clear foul, but there was a shove on a Rovers player in the build-up, which went unpunished.

I agree that the tactics and team selections were wrong for this game. Wallace doesn't have the fitness yet to carry out full defensive duties. His body language came across as negative too. Starting with an additional defensive midfielder could have shielded the defence too. While I would have started with Maynard, in terms of changing the line-up Micky selected, you can make an argument for introducing Jennings S to break up their play and deliver simple passes. Our ball retention on the second half was poor. Is our defensive record so good, not so much because of the positive abilities of our defenders and more down to the quality of protection from the likes of Maynard, Harris and Stevie J?

With regard to whether more players are needed, I'm unsure. Firstly Micky needs to familiarise himself with those of the squad who haven't had much opportunity yet and those he thinks might be able to deliver should be in the squad for the South Park game. There are enough options in defence/midfield already, four who could replace Lee Vaughan, if that change is needed. The attack question is harder. Mangan and Norwood can play together, they did so with some success in the Forest Green game for example. From those currently available, Almond and Kirby can also play up front, as can Tollit, though his shooting radar seems to have gone awry. It sounds from the gravity of Andy Cook's hand injury that he may not be back until next month. Stockton is injured, no clues how long for, likewise Stephenson has missed the last few games on loan at Fylde through injury. Both of that pair are closest to Cook in playing style, bigger lads who can hold the ball up. If Micky decides we need a striker of that ilk and one is available, it might be a move worth making, as would a loan deal, particularly if Cole and Darren are sidelined until Cooky's return date.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Apparently Evan Gumbs has gone to Warrington. Not mentioned on the o/s, presumably on loan. Disappointing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You only have to look at the goals scored by our rivals over NY to see where differences lie. 5 for forest green, 4 for Dover, 3 for Lincoln and 4 for Macc against us. Whilst we are some distance ahead of most of these teams eventually it may catch up with us as our defence won't always keep clean sheets and we have looked nervy in recent games especially when trying to play from the back.

I don't think cook and mangan is a good pairing and prefer cook with one of those 2. Mangan and Nors have done well in spells together but overall I don't think it's a long term solution. We need another striker in now, preferably a target man as Cole isn't really one of those. Even just on loan for a month. My concern is that MMs preference to keep it on the deck means he won't sign a target man and will persist with the likes of kirby in advanced roles who are neat and tidy but ineffective. I'd say the same for the likes of Mekki, Almond if they play more. We won't go up with those around the first team.

S

Stephen

I am not sure I agree with all of sparky's comments above. Plenty of teams have been successful on the basis of a strong defence and there is no reason to assume we will concede more goals in the second half of the season than we did in the first. Yes, other teams score more goals than us but they also concede far more. Swings and roundabouts. I know that Kirby is a scapegoat among our supporters, but I don't see how you can argue that we won't be promoted with him in the side when he has been virtually ever present on a run that has taken us from ninth in the league to a top two position.​

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not assuming we'll concede more goals. One bad half doesn't make us poor defensively. I just felt we've looked a bit shaky in recent matches which came to a head in the 2nd half at Macc. like I said no need to panic or make wholesale changes. If I were MM I'd say to the likes of Vaughan you've had more good games than bad this season but any more like the Macc 2nd half and we'll be looking at more competition for places and bringing someone in. Everyone has a bad game every now and then. Your right that the likes of Chelsea have done well on the back of a strong defence and you get the same points whatever score line you win.

Although to be fair they have Diego Costa scoring regularly and the likes of Hazard and Willian chipping in from midfield. Our strikers aren't scoring and our midfield don't come up with many goals either hence my concern. I'll happily take a lot more 1-0 wins though and hope my concerns are misplaced.

As for Kirby yes MM seems to rate him and he has been part of our great run. I just can't see what he has done to contribute apart from running between the lines. But if we're winning then no one can complain whatever the starting 11 is. However when I see an unfit Wallace and Kirby ahead of the likes of Maynard and Dawson I scratch my head a bit - but as I say if we stay near the top then I stand corrected.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Apparently Evan Gumbs has gone to Warrington. Not mentioned on the o/s, presumably on loan. Disappointing.
Yes, on loan Boz. Getting some game time is not a bad thing.

Player
Manager
John King
I do share the concerns about the number of goals we score, and I am perplexed as to why we don't score more when you consider the forwards and midfielders we have. However, even when Cook returns I doubt we will suddenly become a prolific team and I don't think we will outscore teams like Dover and Lincoln.

If we do win promotion, I think it will be because of the organisational and defensive qualities that Mellon (and to an extent, Brabin) have given us, which is why I think it is dangerous to overreact to a bad defeat and rip up the things you have been doing successfully for weeks.

Regarding Kirby, away from home he does create chances through his movement, and I think Boz was quite impressed by how he played at Lincoln. If Dawson, Mekki, Almond and others can't displace him, it probably says something about their attitude and performances in training, as well as about Jake.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, on loan Boz. Getting some game time is not a bad thing.
Game time against South Park would be better:D. I'm unsure that loaning a player out to the same lower league that he did well in last season does anything for his development. After how he's handled Duggan, I'm not getting any positive signs from Micky about progressing the home grown players.

It frustrates me that certain players are always targetted by fans, if you accept the content of another less erudite Rovers site, it would seem Lee Vaughan was almost single-handedly responsible for our downfall. Jake Kirby seems to be a popular scapegoat, but to my mind has done far more good than wrong, when given match time. MM like his predecessors seems to share that view.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz about Gumbs. I think he is at the stage where he should be around the first team squad now. Obviously not on the bench every week, but challenging for a first team place. I don't think getting farmed out to another Evostick side is going to aid his development much.

On the subject of players being singled out by fans, a few weeks ago Ridehalgh was the scapegoat. However, given support and confidence by MM he is one of our most reliable performers at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Gumbs is going to get a look in this season so instead of sitting on the sidelines, he's actually playing football in competitive games. I dont think the level is an issue. At that age, I think every game he plays he develops and learns so I'd much rather that than learning sweet FA on the sidelines.

IMO, young lads need as many games as they can get to aid their development.

Player
Manager
John King
The problem is, Gumbs was loaned to a club at the same level for the whole of last season. He then came back and had an excellent pre-season with us, and looked ready to compete for a first team place from the games I saw. So I don't see how he is going to develop further by going back to another side at the same level, three or four divisions below us.

At some point you have to give the best youngsters an opportunity to compete for a first team place and I think Gumbs is the best we have at the moment. If they are not good enough to make the first team, fine, but you can only learn so much by farming them out time and time again.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we've said a few times already this season that now isn't the time to be experimenting with youngsters with a couple of games to their name. They'll get their chance if they are good enough but just like some of the seniors players such as Dawson who isnt getting a look in at the moment, I really do not think blooding the youngsters is one of this seasons priorities.

I do agree he has got talent and I'm sure his time will come.

Player
Manager
John King
Although I have said all along that blooding young players is not the priority this season, if you don't give those players any opportunity it does make you wonder if the youth set up is worth having. After all, we could be down here for five to ten years. If Gumbs spends all of his second year as a professional on loan, he will probably simply be released at the end of the season without starting a game in those two years. It is difficult to know how you assess whether a player is good enough on that basis.

As I have said, I think the better youngsters should simply be around the squad more, occasionally making the subs bench or even appearing from the bench. That is how Cresswell, Power and others gradually broke into the first team.

I think the club actually made a major mistake by getting rid of the reserve team under Brabin, which means the youngsters are now either farmed out on loan or don't play any games at all.

M

Mal

one loss isn't a tragedy. Under Micky, Tranmere has won 9, drawn 2 and lost 2. Under Brabin, more likely to have been 'drawn 9' so, maybe there is a tad too much analysis going on. Need to see what happens in next five league games to see what the trend is, regardless as to how well certain players are performing. Just my opinion.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although I have said all along that blooding young players is not the priority this season, if you don't give those players any opportunity it does make you wonder if the youth set up is worth having. After all, we could be down here for five to ten years. If Gumbs spends all of his second year as a professional on loan, he will probably simply be released at the end of the season without starting a game in those two years. It is difficult to know how you assess whether a player is good enough on that basis.

As I have said, I think the better youngsters should simply be around the squad more, occasionally making the subs bench or even appearing from the bench. That is how Cresswell, Power and others gradually broke into the first team.

I think the club actually made a major mistake by getting rid of the reserve team under Brabin, which means the youngsters are now either farmed out on loan or don't play any games at all.
A good analysis, RLC. I could understand having no reserve team last season with such a small squad and relying on loanees as required, but this year it's vital to keep the squad match fit, put the young pros in the spotlight and offer a chance to our better scholars. Unfortunately, it's too late this season but we need a second team next year no matter what league we are in.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rumours that Notts County have approached Lincoln for permission to talk to Danny Cowley about their vacant managers position following the sacking of John Sheridan.

Fully expect Lincoln to say no but you wonder whether Cowley might fancy a league club albeit one struggling, especially when only the champions go up automatically from the national league. Fingers crossed !