• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Salford v Rovers (EFL Trophy)

Player
aldo
i am happy with that the goals are getting shared around that's a great thing, now on to Friday,I am getting my ticket in the Morning,4 wins in 6 is loads better

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Big game now on Friday to keep the momentum going and hopefully keep climbing up the table

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not my favourite competition but another good result to keep the confidence building. Nice for Watson to get a goal and I wonder if we’ll see more of Walker now. Shame glatzel didn’t get on the scoresheet and didn’t finish the match.
pleased Murphy got a clean sheet to give Micky something to think about for Friday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a good performance, considering the throw-together nature of the team, and quite an enjoyable evening.

There were positives to take from the game, as several players impressed, rather than simply going through the motions as often happens in these fixtures. Feeney played very well and looked more like the player from the early stages of last season. He produced three or four good deliveries, including the assist for the first goal. I also thought Duffy had a decent game in the number ten role, tidy on the ball and playing a couple of incisive passes when the game opened out in the last twenty minutes, one of which was coolly finished by Walker. Merrie had another good, energetic game in the centre of midfield. Davies was as solid as ever at the back.

Watson is a real enigma. He took his goal well but was very low key for the rest of the game, and did not offer a great deal in general play. That is not so much of an issue when he is getting on the scoresheet, but he does tend to become a passenger at times, in a crucial area of the pitch.

Walker took his goal very well indeed, putting the last defender on his backside before slotting home, and looks more of a finisher than some of our other forwards. Glatzel had another up and down game and faded in the second half.

I was encouraged by the fact that our second string was clearly greatly superior to Salford's, despite the money they spend. They had a bit of pace up front with Asante, but little else. Perhaps all of their budget is spaffed on their big name signings.

It was my first visit to Salford's ground, which is situated in a pleasant, leafy suburb, but is pretty grim in all honesty, a soulless, meccano affair.

On to a buzzing Prenton Park on Friday night, and a very different atmosphere.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. Maguire got mentioned a lot on the iFollow text feed on the OS. How did he play?

BTW, we are all but through to the knockout stage, as the only team to win twice. Even if we lose at home to Oldham, our goal difference should see us through.

Player
Manager
John King
Maguire was not really tested, but did OK. Better than his previous performances.

Player
Manager
John King
Just watched the highlights and realised it was Maguire with the assist for the first goal, not Feeney......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting and a good win for Rovers.

Watson is a puzzle. Thought he played very well in a defensive midfield role in the season opener v Walsall but doesn’t seem to have reached those heights since.

Bit surprised Walker didn’t start and wasn’t even first sub, Mani being brought on in preference. Did make an impact when he was introduced.

Given we kept a clean sheet, how did Maguire do defensively? It was that side of his game which looked weak in the game v Leeds kids, but would be good if he looked more assured as it increases our options.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I caught the second half and it was actually a decent game to watch. I thought the lads played pretty well, lots of energy and enthusiasm and both goals were taken well. Still not convinced by Glatzel at all but the other fringe players played really well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Defensively we were solid and Jo had little to do. His best save probably coming from a free kick which he palmed out well. Maguire played well and certainly didn’t look uncomfortable out there.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just watched the full game on catch up and pretty much agree with all the comments above. Aside from a 10 minute spell in the second half when we gave away some needless free kicks we were by far the better side.
Murphy had very little to do aside from one very good save from a freekick but distributed the ball well. Back 4 very solid with Davies excellent again. Maguire was caught out of position several times early on but was much better than I had expected - maybe he was genuinely not fit after getting COVID as he is surely better at LB than Morris was or probably Merrie. Had to laugh when he had 2 chances and miskicked both with his right foot mind you but his cross for Watson's goal was immaculate! Watson I agree with RLC and Boz aside from the goal was anonymous. Merrie and Duffy by contrast were excellent and should both be in serious contention by MM for a starting berth whilst Feeney is much improved certainly. Merrie for Spearing maybe? I wonder - he seems to have more attacking intent.
Glatzel again is an enigma to me - again some lovely touches but again did not do enough overall and will not be getting in the team any time soon at this rate. Finally Walker not starting and seemed pretty disinterested after his goal which was very well taken. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he was recalled by Middlesborugh in January as doesn't look like he is in MM's plans.
Finally there was no Tranmere commentary for the first 14 minutes - was interested to hear that theirs said that our average age was 29.5 years even with all those changes - theirs 21.5....