• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Salford v Rovers (EFL Trophy)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Moor Lane next for Rovers, as we take on an unloveable club in a bastardised competition. It is not the most enticing fixture, but I am going to attend as it is a game against a senior team, rather than an under 21 outfit.

It is a good opportunity for the fringe players to get a game, many of whom have not seen any first team action in weeks. I think Maynard, Glatzel, Walker, Mani, Watson, Feeney, O'Connor, NKP and Murphy will all be involved and there will be wholesale changes. However, at least one of the two regular centre backs will have to play due to our relative lack of numbers in that position. I would not be completely surprised if another player is preferred to Maguire at left back, even in this competition !

Hopefully Maynard will get on the scoresheet and one or two other players will stake a claim for a first team place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d add Duffy to RLCs list of players needing game-time. Won’t be watching this due to other commitments but it will be interesting to hear how we set up. Not expecting as strong a line-up as we sent out v Leeds kids, but it will still be a relatively experienced one. Think we may try a different formation rather than stick with one up, so perhaps Walker Maynard and Glatzel in a three up front. It’s been a surprise that Walker hasn’t made the bench after a decent showing in the last Pizza Cup game though suggestion on another site of an attitude problem. No idea of the truth of that claim. Micky will want to win, but so long as we avoid injuries and suspensions I’ll be content.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have to play a certain amount who played on Saturday, I don't know the exact rules.

The result isn't really important, just some minutes for some of the players currently not starting and hopefully 1 or 2 can push forward their claims to start in the league

ADD

Player
Norwood
We have to play a certain amount who played on Saturday, I don't know the exact rules.

The result isn't really important, just some minutes for some of the players currently not starting and hopefully 1 or 2 can push forward their claims to start in the league
I looked it up before the Leeds game and basically we have to play at least 4 outfield players who started the previous game although if Glatzel starts as he surely will we only need to play 3 outfield players from Saturday since he is on loan from a Premiership club so he counts as a qualifying player. However we can also play as one of these 4 if that makes sense any player who has started 40 EFL League games with any club so MacDonald who is available again counts also and will likely start asssuming no shin splint concerns.
Think all the names RLC mentions will start plus Duffy as Boz says. Not sure who will be the few who start from Saturday - maybe 3 or 4 from Morris, Merrie, Davies and Hawkes.
No real interest in the result other than yes it would be good to see us score a few more and Maynard to again look sharp and dangerous.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
0-0, on a cold, wet Tuesday evening in Salford.

I'm not inspired to watch our wannabes, against their wannabes.

I think financial situation calls for a lot of us to pick and choose our away trips!

I know that our chairman won't be there!

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think I’ll give this a miss.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I looked it up before the Leeds game and basically we have to play at least 4 outfield players who started the previous game although if Glatzel starts as he surely will we only need to play 3 outfield players from Saturday since he is on loan from a Premiership club so he counts as a qualifying player. However we can also play as one of these 4 if that makes sense any player who has started 40 EFL League games with any club so MacDonald who is available again counts also and will likely start asssuming no shin splint concerns.
Think all the names RLC mentions will start plus Duffy as Boz says. Not sure who will be the few who start from Saturday - maybe 3 or 4 from Morris, Merrie, Davies and Hawkes.
No real interest in the result other than yes it would be good to see us score a few more and Maynard to again look sharp and dangerous.
Thanks, ADD. The rules seem complicated.

Foolishly, I'm going to take a stab at the team on the basis of giving all the fringe players a game. I believe my team meets the EFL rules.

Murphy
O'Connor, Davies, NKP, Maguire (if still in MM's plans) or MacDonald (if not)
Duffy, Watson, Merrie, Glatzel, Walker
Maynard

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pretty much agree with BBTC's line-up. When does O'Connor disappear off on international duty?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pretty much agree with BBTC's line-up. When does O'Connor disappear off on international duty?
He is in the Under 21 squad who play Friday and Tuesday do he will not be available tomorrow night or Friday

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are playing in yellow tip tonight, guess this is a third kit.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
We are playing in yellow tip tonight, guess this is a third kit.
The photos on Twitter, wether they look better in reality, look very similar to the old gold away kit of a few years ago, which I thought was one of our worst.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks, ADD. The rules seem complicated.

Foolishly, I'm going to take a stab at the team on the basis of giving all the fringe players a game. I believe my team meets the EFL rules.

Murphy
O'Connor, Davies, NKP, Maguire (if still in MM's plans) or MacDonald (if not)
Duffy, Watson, Merrie, Glatzel, Walker
Maynard
Not far off, Macdonald right back, Feeney instead of Walker

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Walker only on the bench suggests there might be some truth in talk of him failing the attitude test. Jolley not even a sub again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like we’ve started brightly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
After dominating first half, they responded so far this half