• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wolves

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is not the game we'd want to play in our current injury-ridden state defensively. Holmes, Otsemobor, Edwards Goodison out injured, Ridehalgh returning to Huddersfield, Hateley just coming back from injury. Heaven knows what defence we'll put out. Further forward, Wallace likely to be returning, but in our situation, I would keep Jennings in the starting line-up, as the makeshift defence will need all the protection they can get.

Weather permitting, there should be a decent turnout, around 6k. Damage limitation is the order of the day for me, but I still expect the visitors to be easy winners.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With the problems we have at the back at this moment, we would seem to have no chance in this game. However, since outplaying us at Molineux, Wolves have hit a relative sticky patch, picking up only one win from five games. Kenny Jackett has been getting some stick from their fans and of the top sides they do seem to find it (relatively) difficult to score goals: against Orient on Boxing Day, Jake Cassidy operated as a lone striker, but has apparently yet to score this season.

Whatever the outcome, I do think we will be more competitive than in the away fixture. Wolves expect to bring 1,500 - 2,000 fans, so I would expect a gate of about 7,000.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Cant see us getting anything out of this game think they will win 2 1 with crowd of about 6500

Player
Goodison
Injuries, injuries everywhere best sums up this game. Hopefully Rovers will produce a spirited performance and I'm half hopeful Goodison will be wheeled out.

Team I would play:

OFW

Morris (young RB we signed - might as well play him!) Taylor Goodison (if he can be wheeled out - if not Hately) Horwood

Hately (Power if he's further back) Jennings

Peterson Wallace Robinson

Lowe

I'm not sure about playing Koumas and Robinson in the same team due to their collective lack of mobility, which the rest of the team would have to cover.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not sure about playing Koumas and Robinson in the same team due to their collective lack of mobility, which the rest of the team would have to cover.

In fairness, it did not really cause us any problems at Shrewsbury where they both had good games. I don't think it is much of an issue if we play five in midfield, but it may be a problem in matches where we play 4-4-2.

With the quality and experience they have got, if they are fit they should both start in my view.

Player
Goodison
In fairness, it did not really cause us any problems at Shrewsbury where they both had good games. I don't think it is much of an issue if we play five in midfield, but it may be a problem in matches where we play 4-4-2.

With the quality and experience they have got, if they are fit they should both start in my view.

Fair enough I can see that, I agree on the 4-4-2 as well. I'd rather have an extra defensive midfielder against Wolves, with the option of bringing on Koumas to chase the game/keep the ball if we somehow end up 1-0 up.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounds like Callum Morris will play right back and we will try to bring in a centre half on loan tomorrow. If that attempt fails, I would not be surprised to see James Wallace playing at centre half, as I think he has some of the attributes to play at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Callum Morris is a midfielder, we are trying to bring in a right back and centre half as we currently only have Ash & Horwood available.

Player
Manager
John King
Callum Morris is a midfielder, we are trying to bring in a right back and centre half as we currently only have Ash & Horwood available.

Er, no he is not, he is a defender, and Ronnie has just said in his pre-match interview he is considering playing him at right back tomorrow.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Er, no he is not, he is a defender, and Ronnie has just said in his pre-match interview he is considering playing him at right back tomorrow.

err yes he is I know someone who knows him he is a midfielder, the fact that we are considering playing him right back shows how desperate the situation is at themoment

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
apparently when he was with us pre-season he played in midfield for us.

not sure if true but somebody posted on another site we are signing a young right back on loan from Everton

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for one of the work-rate players; Kirby or Rowe ahead of Koumas tomorrow, as they would give the defence more protection. Staying up or going down could ultimately depend on goal-difference, so anything to limit the margin of defeat must be good.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not confident at all going into this one. Defensively, I think it's going to be a mess. I think our best chance is for the midfield to provide some cover at the back and work as a unit. Keep tight and counter. I've also got a horrible feeling Cassidy is going to be a pain in the backside if he plays. He's been getting some stick for his performances (http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/jake-cassidy-311213-1266544.aspx) but we all know he can score goals and can hold up play.

Player
Manager
John King
I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for one of the work-rate players; Kirby or Rowe ahead of Koumas tomorrow, as they would give the defence more protection.

It would be a good idea to play Kirby, but it is Peterson I would drop rather than Koumas or Robbo: he has been pretty poor in every game I have seen since Colchester and does not provide much protection for the full back.

As Ian says, having failed to score all season, what odds on Cassidy getting on the scoresheet today ?

It is absolutely tipping it down at the moment, so there may be some risk of a postponement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good news on the defensive front. Ridenhalgh back and to make it permanent on Fri and a couple of young lads from Everton and Fulham.

Player
Manager
John King
Good news on the defensive front. Ridenhalgh back and to make it permanent on Fri and a couple of young lads from Everton and Fulham.

Delighted with this. Ridehalgh was immense today and the two new lads also had really good debuts.

Player
Manager
John King
A great battling performance from Rovers and a deserved point. It is just a pity Wallace had his moment of madness in the first half, as the way we were playing at the time I would have strongly fancied us to go on and win the game with eleven men. We looked threatening throughout the ninety minutes: Lowe's movement was great throughout, Peterson's pace and skill troubled them in the second half and we always looked dangerous from set plays.

I thought our midfield were terrific, in the first half in particular. With Jennings, Koumas, Wallace and Robbo fit, we have got real quality in there and our passing was very good at times. I thought Jennings gave superb protection to the back four and I lost count of the number of 50-50s he won. The makeshift back four coped well: the new centre half looked good and the right back got better as the game progressed, after a difficult start up against Sako.

Lowe was immense again: would have scored had he not been brought down in the red card incident, got the opening goal after a great ball from Ash and nearly won it for us in the 80th minute with an effort that looked on side to me.

Peterson is the archetypal frustrating winger. He did not really give the new right back any protection in the first half, but when the game opened out he showed his quality with a couple of great runs which nearly resulted in goals.

For the obscene amount of money that has been lavished on their squad, Wolves were unimpressive: had lots of pressure in the second half and huffed and puffed, but never really got behind our makeshift back four. As I say, if Wallace had not gone off they might have really struggled to get back in the game.

Man of the match between Ridehalgh and Jennings for me, although Taylor was also very good.

A positive performance that keeps us out of the bottom four and gives us more hope for the weeks ahead.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given all the issues with lack of defence and last minute recruits, it was a good performance from Rovers. Decent ball from Robinson to Lowe who was pulled back for their sending-off, great cross-field ball from Ash to set up our goal. Wallace's challenge was rash and needless, agree with RLC that we'd have probably won it with 11 v 10. However in the second half at times it was more a case of what Wolves didn't do than what we did. Too much ground was conceded in the middle third and Robinson, who'd been patchy throughout and Koumas faded and were rightly replaced with the younger legs of Power and Kirby. Peterson played much better when moved over to the left. Agree Jennings demonstrated the benefit of a defensive midfielder. For all Wolves' possession, it was Rovers who had the better chances, though OFW did make one decent save... his kicking was poor though.

I thought both loanee defenders did well. Arthurworrey was steady and calm in central defence, seemed like a Ronnie prototype for that position; needs to work on getting more power on his headers. Pennington looked very composed at right-back second half, seemed quite vocal and organising the line. When Kirby came on, we seemed to go more to 3 at the back with Kirby playing more of a wing-back role.

Slightly disappointing crowd; less than v Gillingham despite the day and significant number of visiting fans. Results elsewhere didn't really fall for us, but we do stay out of the bottom four just, so cautiously optimistic.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Every point is vital when your floating around the bottom, and it's one I would have gladly accepted before the game. Having said that, I feel we really should have come away with all three. I was unimpressed by Wolves with Sako being their major threat. Most of their efforts were off target and OFW made some good saves when called upon.

I didn't think Lowe's goal was offside, I'm sure it was going in anyway. Shame, I think we deserved that. The lads showed great spirit today and worked really hard. Jennings was excellent winning a lot and the two new loan signings also had great games. Arthurworrey looked composed and did the right things and played well alongside Taylor whilst Pennington did well even though I was initially concerned in the first half when Sako turned him a few times.

Regarding the Wallace sending off, I thought he was slightly unlucky. He clearly got the ball first, but he was fully committed to making the tackle. I thought the reaction was OTT and gave the ref no choice.

Regarding Peterson, he did nothing in the first half but was excellent in the second.

Much to take from this and I'm really pleased Ridehalgh is signing on, good solid defender, just what we need.

How long is Wallace out for, is it three games?