• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Wimbledon

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AFC Wimbledon

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Wimbledon
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 20, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 20, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Norris does well this time to find Jennings who fires in.

Surely game over now. 3-1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We are not defending well and giving the Dons too much room. Too many aimless long balls. James Norris getting caught out on the left

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Strange game. Rovers were the better side in the first half and deserved to be ahead. Wimbledon started the second half brighter and we switched off at times, no real surprise they pulled one back. From my viewpoint the red card seemed a bit harsh at first glance but the referee much closer to the action was well placed to call it. The game was then very end to end, good work from Luke Norris to set up Connor and he finished well. Saunders should have squared to Hendry to clinch it but shot straight at the keeper instead. Dennis fluffed an excellent chance too and Rovers switched off again to concede another late on after a rash of substitutions.
Thought Belehouan was fairjy steady at the back though switched off occasionally. Robbie Apter had a good game and decent finish. Chris Merrie was steady in central midfield but seemed a bit emotional at the end, final game at PP? While I’ll look back at the first Dons goal later, my MoM would be Luke Norris some excellent hold-up play was a handful for their defence and played a part in two of the Rovers goals. I’d like to see him stay.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we were comfortably the better side and the final scoreline does not reflect the game and is a bit frustrating. Wimbledon played the majority of the match like a team that knew its promotion chances evaporated last week.

I thought we looked much more comfortable in the 433 with Jennings dropping back into midfield. Luke Norris looked much sharper today, and was more effective with pace either side of him rather than partnering Connor. Saunders had an excellent first half, but the miss in the second period sums up his limitations. Merrie is better than McAlear and I thought O'Connor had an excellent game.

Of the rookie defenders, I thought Hockenhull was the more impressive, winning a lot in the air and looking quite assured. However, Belahouan does not convince and was very poor in the build up to the first Wimbledon goal, similar to his poor defending against Walsall. We have dominated the game but still conceded two goals against opposition lacking motivation, which is not great in my view.

Dennis was very disappointing when he came on. He missed an absolute sitter, and a couple of minutes later failed to get his head up when he could have squared the ball for a tap in. However, it was good that our two best players this season, Apter and Jennings, both got on the scoresheet.

It will be interesting to read Nigel's release list this time next week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wimbledon nothing special and just shows you don’t have to be great to be in and around the play off positions.
Thought the two young lads at the back did ok and that’s two wins from two with them although far from perfect. Merrie did ok overall.

Interesting the new 4-1-2-3 formation and wonder if Nigel will stick with it next season. Nice to finish at PP with a win and maybe we can pick up another 3 points at Accy next week

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought we were comfortably the better side and the final scoreline does not reflect the game and is a bit frustrating. Wimbledon played the majority of the match like a team that knew its promotion chances evaporated last week.

I thought we looked much more comfortable in the 433 with Jennings dropping back into midfield. Luke Norris looked much sharper today, and was more effective with pace either side of him rather than partnering Connor. Saunders had an excellent first half, but the miss in the second period sums up his limitations. Merrie is better than McAlear and I thought O'Connor had an excellent game.

Of the rookie defenders, I thought Hockenhull was the more impressive, winning a lot in the air and looking quite assured. However, Belahouan does not convince and was very poor in the build up to the first Wimbledon goal, similar to his poor defending against Walsall. We have dominated the game but still conceded two goals against opposition lacking motivation, which is not great in my view.

Dennis was very disappointing when he came on. He missed an absolute sitter, and a couple of minutes later failed to get his head up when he could have squared the ball for a tap in. However, it was good that our two best players this season, Apter and Jennings, both got on the scoresheet.

It will be interesting to read Nigel's release list this time next week.
Agree about Dennis. He looked a player devoid of any confidence and although I’m a fan I’ll be amazed if we don’t try and move him on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting. I thought Belehouan did fairly well on the bread and butter defending, in particular getting some distance on his headers. I’ll re-visit the goals conceded later. Some of Hockenhull’s early headers tended to go up rather than away, but he seemed to gain in confidence and there were some nice directed headers in his play.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Just got in hat to listen to the game on the radio sounded like we missed a fair few chance glad saunders got a goal but he misses to many chances but a goal is a goal. Glad Apter got his goal we arr going to miss him so much next season. He will surely be in LG 1 but not with blackpool as they don't play with wingers. Wonder if we will wake up and he will be ours we wish love you Robbie and thank you for an amazing season with out you we would have been in trouble

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree about Dennis. He looked a player devoid of any confidence and although I’m a fan I’ll be amazed if we don’t try and move him on.
Yeah but he's been a bit part player this season and doesn't seem to fit into the managers plans. No wonder he's a bit rusty.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yeah but he's been a bit part player this season and doesn't seem to fit into the managers plans. No wonder he's a bit rusty.
I hope for his sake he will be gone in the summer he is wasted with us and is a wast of a decent wage we need more pace up front and we gotta find a new Robbie

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m a bit surprised Nigel hasn’t given him more game time and a chance to play in a front two with Norris for a longer period. However other players have had spells out of the first team, then come back and looked sharper. A lot depends on whether Dennis is content to continue with his bit part role with Rovers or wants a move for regular first team action.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Definitely a case of a team on a mission too tense and a relaxed one prevailing, often happens. The Ref looked clueless throughout and was near but blindsided at the red so I have my doubts. The feet were low is all I could see
Hockenhull had the scorer offside allowed him get back on without picking him up, four years a pro nearly 23, Twist. Belehouan athletic maybe a 4th choice, need a serious CB coming in.
Merrie is equine terms is fully exposed, a long period with LOC and doesn't do enough. McAlear not seen enough of or had any sort of run, seems decent cover for Walker, need cover for the box to box Hendry
Pretty well everyone agrees Dennis is a player, needs to move and there surely will be takers.
We have a first team of decent standard bar full backs and one wing, think that is better than I can remember, Ronnie part 1 or 2 depending on your view post Little anyway had four players only one of which was a starter. No need for a car boot expert now!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Joe Tacopino in the stands with Mark for the game and also at the post match awards. His wiki page shows he’s had an interesting life!

Although Alter only really started playing in October ish I’m surprised he didn’t pick up a single club award.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Joe Tacopino in the stands with Mark for the game and also at the post match awards. His wiki page shows he’s had an interesting life!

Although Alter only really started playing in October ish I’m surprised he didn’t pick up a single club award.
An American lawyer, we've been down that road before........